Home Precious Metals
Options

What is your opinion on 1/2 oz silver?

HallcoHallco Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does not appear to be as popular as the larger amounts. Do you like it, hate it, not care either way? :)

Comments

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,270 ✭✭✭✭✭

Makes a good pocket piece, price above spot is higher. If the price is right I am fine with it. Bullion is bullion. I would prefer 1 oz bars or rounds, but if offered a good deal on half ouncers I would buy them. Another factor is smaller silver offers smaller profits to counterfeiters. Junk silver half dollars may work for you too if looking at half oz silvers.

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

:) !!!

Timbuk3
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,308 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not worth the effort to buy/store and then later try to sell in a smaller market.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    TomaToma Posts: 58 ✭✭✭

If the premiums weren't so high I wouldn't mind. I know some of the SHTF preppers buy the 1/10th ozt rounds for bartering but I could never justify the premium.

• Options
    meluaufeetmeluaufeet Posts: 751 ✭✭✭

I prefer 90% Kennedy. But if I did buy fractional silver I'd consider Monarch since they have a buy back program on anything they produce with monarch logo on it (-2%). I do own several 1/2 oz perth mint colorized coins, but that was a kinda special case, and I doubt I'll ever sell them.

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why? If silver even managed to get back to $20 it still wouldn't be a hot seller.
    People want the 1 oz.

Me, I'd ONLY buy 10 oz or 90%

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,311 ✭✭✭✭✭

I give them out to friends/family kids for xmas, and for the mid spot in the stock pickem thing.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the fractional silver rounds are primarily being marketed to preppers who would use these to buy or barter for basic purchases such as food, tobacco, bullets, etc after the economy collapses and paper money becomes worthless. I only buy full ounce ASE's by the roll. Anything less than this isn't worth my time or effort.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe that 1/2, 1/4 and 1/10 Troy ounce silver would be good to have, but I cannot justify paying much more % premium than the one Troy ounce pieces.

• Options

Like most things, I'm very late to the party. I didn't realize until recently that interest in silver for some people(quite a few it seems) is based on a world chaos or catastrophic happening ideology. I guess I thought it was future value much like any other investment or history/nostalgia, artistic, etc... There are some interesting opinions on the topic to say the least! If I decide to pursue bullion, it will be strictly hobby.

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,387 ✭✭✭✭✭

The premium on smaller 90% silver (dimes & quarters) is less than the premium on larger 90% silver (halves and silver dollars) and less than the premium on ASEs as well. The larger coins are perceived as being more desirable, probably because they hit a "sweet spot" in terms of utility if they are ever needed for transactional purposes.

In comparison however, the fractional 100% silver rounds (10th oz, 1/4 oz, and 1/2 oz) are less economical than their US 90% silver counterparts for either purpose - investment or prepping.

As 90% silver US coinage slowly disappears into the melt, eventually the fractional 100% silver rounds may become more competitive, but I think that day is a ways off. Still, I like some of them and sometimes I am even tempted to buy them. But I haven't, because of the economics.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I stick to one ounce silver except for half dollars... I have Kennedy's, Franklin's and Walker's...I will not bother with the small rounds....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t have any. Not that I don’t like them, just not paying the premium.

• Options
    dennis1219dennis1219 Posts: 267 ✭✭✭

Not a fan. I buy primarily 1oz ASE’s and 5-10 oz bars.

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love the half ounce silver in this set :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    shinywhiteshinywhite Posts: 346 ✭✭✭

@1630Boston said:

Foster Mint?^^^^ I own a piece like the bar on the bottom left.

• Options
    shinywhiteshinywhite Posts: 346 ✭✭✭

I I only go for the 1 oz or higher but hey, it's not to say that I dont own a few ounces of silver in the half ounce variety. But prefer the 1 oz or higher.

• Options

@1630Boston said:

These are great! Hoping to find a few neat ones like this in Dalton in a couple of weeks!

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

either/or

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the idea of maybe having a small amount of fractional,generic silver stashed away and forgotten about....

• Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

Occasionally you can find a good deal on 1/2 rounds where the premium is in line with 1 oz rounds. JM Bullion used to often run specials on 1/2 oz Sunshine rounds.

Buying 1/10 oz silver rounds makes little sense with the monstrous premiums. Why not just buy 90% US silver dimes. When the SHTF, most people will likely know US 90% silver more than generic 1/10 oz silver roundlettes.

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭

Usually, the smaller amount of silver you buy the more it will cost, but at times I have been able to buy a 1/2 oz silver piece for the same as generic silver from a seller that just wanted to move weight.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,711 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree, for the fractional silver, I like 90%. It's usually cheaper and very recognized.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,866 ✭✭✭✭✭

It all stacks good, in my humble opinion.