Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Type Sets (Pairing Multiple Sets Together)

NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am taking a look at Type sets (no gold) and am looking for something closer to the basic side of things from 1800 to present. There are a number of options, but if you choose more than 1 set (primarily the century sets), there are numerous overlaps and multiple coins of the same type then required to complete each set. I understand and agree why it is done that way but when pairing the sets together it does not work well.

Has anyone paired a couple sets together and fount it to work well?

Maybe pair these together:
Basic U.S. Coin Design Set No Gold (1792-present) + Modern Type Set (1950-present)

Other thoughts..
I started the 7070 type set, I am hesitant to continue since it will not be updated and adding a modern set to this will see much overlap. Although they coins in many cases could be used for both sets.

I would like to see a 21st century set without the gold, platinum and palladium.

Comments

• Options

No replies... well, I looked at these 2 sets and they seem to pair well for what I am looking at. Will give it a go!

• Options
    AlongAlong Posts: 466 ✭✭✭✭

I started to do a half dozen different type sets and had it organized in a spreadsheet but ended up getting frustrated with the overlap. It may have made some sense in the speadsheet but with the coins in hand it was a mess.

• Options

@Along said:
    I started to do a half dozen different type sets and had it organized in a spreadsheet but ended up getting frustrated with the overlap. It may have made some sense in the speadsheet but with the coins in hand it was a mess.

OP here... I actually started something similar with the spreadsheet when I was doing a raw set. Then I went to PCGS only and I had to find sets.. overlaps was an issue. I really don’t want 2 barber halves just because they were minted before 1900 and after. The sets I indicated above are working for me for now.... I have proofs for the modern set so I started the modern proof set too.

• Options

Agreed I’d rather have 1 nice barber half then 2 lower quality ones

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good luck !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options

Given the popularity of collecting type sets, I am surprised that the PCGS registry doesn’t have a decent option.