Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What would you grade this 1983-d nickel? (warning: some complaining inside).

AllCoinsRuleAllCoinsRule Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭✭

https://greatcollections.com/Coin/568156/1983-D-Jefferson-Nickel-PCGS-MS-66-FS

That was my duplicate coin I sold in that auction for about $1000 a few months ago. In addition to the marks upper reverse it has a counting wheel scrape on the obverse. I got a nicer one last year. I am holding on to a lot of my duplicate coins that I feel may be undergraded but didn't think there was any chance this one was, not even a 66+fs. (I also did pretty poorly last year on resubmitting some nicer nickels that I did deem upgrade candidates).

Anyway...

https://greatcollections.com/Coin/602312/1983-D-Jefferson-Nickel-PCGS-MS-67-FS

The price guide put it at $7500 (although I doubt it'll get anywhere near that). Now I'm not just watching my top pops lose their status, but lose their status to my own duplicates.

Comments

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭

The grade on moderns is whatever the slabbing service gives it at the moment. The plastic (assuming the coin hasn't "turned" in the holder) is all that matters when it comes to the grade.

So far as market value goes, you better hope there are at least two very serious and very wealthy bidders in the auction.

Whatever it brings, take the money, be happy and don't look back.

Is this the kind of thing you want to be holding long term? Think about it.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    djmdjm Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭✭

Must have been submitted by on of the "right" submitters.

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am surprised the buyer got it upgraded, as people are saying grading has tightened up. I wonder if bidders will be able to tell it sold a few months back for $1.13 K in 66 plastic.

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dangerous game, buying top pop moderns. Another thread addresses the same issue with Sac's.

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AllCoinsRule said:
    https://greatcollections.com/Coin/568156/1983-D-Jefferson-Nickel-PCGS-MS-66-FS

That was my duplicate coin I sold in that auction for about $1000 a few months ago. In addition to the marks upper reverse it has a counting wheel scrape on the obverse. I got a nicer one last year. I am holding on to a lot of my duplicate coins that I feel may be undergraded but didn't think there was any chance this one was, not even a 66+fs. (I also did pretty poorly last year on resubmitting some nicer nickels that I did deem upgrade candidates).

Anyway...

https://greatcollections.com/Coin/602312/1983-D-Jefferson-Nickel-PCGS-MS-67-FS

The price guide put it at $7500 (although I doubt it'll get anywhere near that). Now I'm not just watching my top pops lose their status, but lose their status to my own duplicates.

It's hard to tell from that picture but with the big bump for the date MS-66 FS doesn't seem too inappropriate. If I were buying I'd feel a little more comfortable with MS-65 FS.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options

@291fifth said:

Is this the kind of thing you want to be holding long term? Think about it.

As a matter of fact, it is exactly the kind of thing I'd want to hold long term.

There simply aren't any other US coins that have any fundamental reason to have large increases in demand. There are reasons most other US and world coins can have large decreases in demand.

I wouldn't buy it for investment but I certainly would sell most everything else first.

...And once I get rid old Jeffersons, I will have. ;)

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

Holy moly you got a $$$$ 1000.00 from 1 nickel! I am going to hit my change piggy bank.

• Options
    djmdjm Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Gluggo said:
    Holy moly you got a $$$$ 1000.00 from 1 nickel! I am going to hit my change piggy bank.

You won't find a MS65 or better coin in circulation. You need to find souvenir sets which are as scare as hens teeth. Any you may find have most likely been pick over.

• Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 22, 2018 3:35PM

Thank you djm I saved about 55 pounds of loose change ( quarters, nickels. dimes, and pennies ) for when I retire to go through each one looking for some thing rare.

• Options
    georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭

I can see where this would really REALLY vex you!

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is this a test of a comedy routine for the ANA Banquet? It should bring the house down with laughter! :)

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I gave up on Mint State Jefferson Nickels quite a while ago, sold the coins I had and did OK to just focus on the pre-1970 Proofs. I wasn't as bothered by the numeric grades as I was by the inconsistent and poor step designating. this coin looked right as an MS66 but the lighting used by GC makes it next to impossible to discern the fifth step. I lean toward incompletely struck.

as cladking said, this is a good date to put back in a properly grade MS66FS PCGS holder, the trouble is in finding one. I still look at Jefferson Nickels and there are four dates that I think are long term winners if they can found --- 1982-P, 1982-D, 1983-P, 1983-D and my personal "sleeper" date of 1950.

• Options
    StrikeOutXXXStrikeOutXXX Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

It sold for $5,250 Hammer ($5,906.25 with Buyers Fee).

Hard to watch roughly $4k get made with a simple resubmit of your coin I would imagine. I can't imagine how that guy with the gold coin on the message board last week that got dipped and resold for + $24k profit? felt.

------------------------------------------------------------

"You Suck Award" - February, 2015

Discoverer of 1919 Mercury Dime DDO - FS-101
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭✭

@StrikeOutXXX said:
    It sold for $5,250 Hammer ($5,906.25 with Buyers Fee).

Hard to watch roughly $4k get made with a simple resubmit of your coin I would imagine. I can't imagine how that guy with the gold coin on the message board last week that got dipped and resold for + $24k profit? felt.

That's why I just sell them and never look back.

• Options

@keets said:
    I still look at Jefferson Nickels and there are four dates that I think are long term winners if they can found --- 1982-P, 1982-D, 1983-P, 1983-D and my personal "sleeper" date of 1950.

I like the 1950 in every grade except MS-60 and lower than VF. High grades seem pretty tough circ or Unc.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, interesting !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭

It's a rich man's game. I agree, decent 82's & 83's are as rare as hens teeth.

Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have made a lot of ms67 FS and tough jeffersons over the last year or so. This coin does not say ms67 to me...

may the fonz be with you...always...
  • Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 23, 2018 1:02AM

@AllCoinsRule said:
    The 83-d auctioned had been my weakest nickel from the 1980s. I don't have a photo of my other 83-d or any of my 3 super 82-d, but here's my 82-p and 83-p.

Any interest in selling for MS66 money? >:)o:) (Just kidding) It may be worth trying this coin again.

I have made similar mistakes. I had a NGC MS66* toned Washington quarter with a green CAC sticker. It was a solid 66, but not high end. Imagine how angry I was with myself to find out that it was color bumped to MS67 by our host and sold for a few grand more (like 3-4x what I sold it for) after I sold it. I learned a lot from that about our host's grading that I will never forget. I wish it was the only time I wasn't the one getting the upgrade. Sometimes it takes a few submissions to get it in the "right" plastic. :/

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow... I have new respect for the Jefferson nickel...I need to check some old sets..might be a 'treasure' lurking there.... ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,366 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ok........since I don't have anything good to say about the OP coin.....here are a few of mine. :)

So....I guess one of the above coins should grade MS68 according to the standards they used for the OP coin. Marks on focal point of cheek and in the fields....both sides and it graded MS66? No wait....MS67 and FS? This is good news......right?
    Ok....so there are some scuffs on the steps below but I don't care, nice strike and colors (blue and gold) which I didn't capture.

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,260 ✭✭✭✭✭

For that kind of money I would be looking at old gold. Condition rarity does not appeal to me. Just my opinion, but that's what makes collecting interesting. Different people are attracted to different venues.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

I sold an Uncirculated roll for about a hundred$. Made me feel good. The buyer was happy too. I hope he or she scores with what's inside.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AllCoinsRule said:
    What coin do you like better? (I'd say lol except it's not funny).

If the grade does not fit, you must resubmit.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file