Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Starting Roosie Set

Looking to put together a set of MS65FB Silver Roosies’ but can’t decide between toned or clean white dimes. I like them both but not sure if I want to mix them or perhaps put together two different sets?

Comments

• rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭

You can put together a brilliant set in half an hour. Go for monster toning. Even at 65 it will be a stellar set if you wait and buy in a very picky manner. Honestly, you should do the set in 66. Better selection available and not too expensive.

"You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • StoogeStooge Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭✭✭

Personally I wouldn't do the set in 65FB. I would do a set in 66FB. When time comes to sell, you'll be able to get some money out of it. And yes, you can still do the set in a relatively short period of time. BTW, most colectors have a mix of toned and white dimes. Very difficult to assemble a solid white 66FB set.

Later, Paul.
  • AlongAlong Posts: 466 ✭✭✭✭

Thank you both. I agree pursuing 66FB is likely to be a more rewarding endeavor than 65FBs. The investment (using PCGS price guide) is about $3500 versus $1500. If you took the 5 most expensive 66FB and substituted 66s the investment would be around $2500. If you substituted 67s instead the investment would be around $3000. I understand prices paid will vary especially with toned coins, but still an interesting exercise. Also a set in MS67 would be around $4000 and MS67FB would be around $28000.

Thanks great advice!

Are there any good Roosevelt Dime books? I enjoy reading Bowers Guide Books but didn’t see one on Roosevelts.

@Along said:
    Are there any good Roosevelt Dime books? I enjoy reading Bowers Guide Books but didn’t see one on Roosevelts.

@onlyroosies hasn't written one yet. When he does, I'm buying a leather bound copy!

Later, Paul.
  • ilikemonstersilikemonsters Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭

@lablover said:
    All of the above from the Roosie brothers is right on...

To get you started I'll send you the below MS66FB, no charge. Just PM me your address...

Enjoy the Roosie ride.

That's very kind of you.

To the OP,

I do not know Roosevelt Dime's well, all I can say is that the most important thing when collecting coins and putting together a collection, is to have fun. Every coin is so cool, and you should enjoy viewing every coin which crosses your hands.

Wow! Thanks.

• QBertQBert Posts: 311 ✭✭✭

Cherry Pickers Guide Volume 2 by Fivaz/Stanton
    The Authoritative Reference on Roosevelt Dimes by Kevin Flynn

Couple of books for varieties that I have found usefull for roosevelt dimes

Frogot one

The RPM book by Wexler/Miller

• labloverlablover Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Along said:
    Wow! Thanks.

The coin is in the mail and should arrive on Thursday. Enjoy, and start the hunt!!!

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Hey Jim,
    I’m also starting a Roosie set and would love for you to send me a starter coin...something simple like a pretty toned 1963 MS67 FB...or maybe just a magnum of Opus One. ;)
    Rainbowroosie impersonator

Very nice gesture by you. :)

"You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
  • BeefCurry808BeefCurry808 Posts: 234 ✭✭✭✭

This is the kind of love I see in the hobby that makes me love it.

@BeefCurry808 said:
    This is the kind of love I see in the hobby that makes me love it.

The Roosie guys around here are some of the most generous guys you will ever come across.

Later, Paul.

Agreed. Reading through the Roosie threads and seeing the positivity and fellowship was definitely a positive factor in deciding which set to put together next.

My new Roosie Set has been started thanks to lablover! Very generous, thanks again.

@Along said:
    My new Roosie Set has been started thanks to lablover! Very generous, thanks again.

It was my pleasure...

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Picked up a copy of The Authoritative Reference on Roosevelt Dimes by Kevin Flynn for $15

@Along said:
    Picked up a copy of The Authoritative Reference on Roosevelt Dimes by Kevin Flynn for $15

The best guide available is the Onlyroosies communicate'. If anyone knows roosies it's Nick!!!!!!!!!!!

edited July 20, 2018 6:33PM

The thread is useless without pictures:

MS67FB

edited July 20, 2018 7:03PM

MS66FB

This one was pulled from my raw set. Not bad for a few dollar coin...

edited July 20, 2018 6:31PM

MS66FB

edited July 20, 2018 6:47PM

Nice 66

• ilikemonstersilikemonsters Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭

@rainbowroosie said:

Nice 66

You sure that’s not 67+FB?

@ilikemonsters said:

@rainbowroosie said:

Nice 66

You sure that’s not 67+FB?

Heck, Rainbowroosie can't grade worth a crap... ;)

edited July 21, 2018 9:15AM

Jim,
    If you weren’t bringing the Opus to Fun, I’d fight back. ;)

@rainbowroosie said:
    Jim,
    If you weren’t bringing the Opus to Fun, I’d fight back. ;)

Would you prefer the 2009, or the 2010 bottle? No, can't have both...saving one for just me. :)

2009; we can drink the stuff that’s going to expire...I’ll be bringing something comparable. :)

edited July 21, 2018 4:37PM

And I’m sure the Capital Grille has a decent bottle of something.

We toured Opus last year...amazing.

@rainbowroosie said:
    2009; we can drink the stuff that’s going to expire...I’ll be bringing something comparable. :)

You got it!!!!

@rainbowroosie said:

We toured Opus last year...amazing.

Dang, I'm jealous. And, that really looks like a wine party place to me. How were the samples?

It was amazing...found my own park bench in downtown Napa afterwards to “rest.”

@Stooge said:
    The Roosie guys around here are some of the most generous guys you will ever come across.

AND apparently a bunch of wine-o's!!!

Later, Paul.

Stooge,
    At $300 a bottle we are NOT winos, we are conniseurs. :*

edited July 22, 2018 2:39PM

@rainbowroosie said:
    Stooge,

Could that be Coiniseurs?

I see what you did there...that’s a play on words... B)

@rainbowroosie said:
    Stooge,

You know how many Roosies you could buy with $300?

Later, Paul.
  • david3142david3142 Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Stooge said:

@rainbowroosie said:
    Stooge,

You know how many Roosies you could buy with $300?

Somewhere between 3000 and a tenth of one?

picked up a couple of Roosies

this one came from an auction

this one came from a "junk" slab box at a show

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

One mans trash is another's treasure, nice pickups.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.

Wow, that 64 looks pretty sweet. What grade is it? Is it a proof?

It’s MS66 no FB