Options

Someone really wants a 1988 Donruss Devon White PSA 10

Comments

• Options
    thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭
    edited July 6, 2018 11:49AM

@lawyer05 said:

@ReggieCleveland said:
    Dan, did you pull it from a pack or buy raw? If pulled, how much product did it take? I need all the details on this hobby legend.

Arthur

yes please we need to know

i feel like a rock star. devon white is the greatest thing that's ever happened to me. now spending most of my savings unsuccessfully searching for nm/mt 76 kent tekulves doesn't seem so bad.

I pulled it raw. had a bunch of unopened packs. Wife wondered if she should throw them out. I said most likely but let me see how many mike greenwells i can pull in a single pack. In the quest to find multi-greenwell packs, i found this devon white staring at me and my greasy chicken shack fingers. It felt dirty at first, but since that day I am cleansed. A free man at last.

• Options
    waxman2745waxman2745 Posts: 727 ✭✭✭

@thunderdan said:

I pulled it raw. had a bunch of unopened packs.

Pulled from wax?

Adam
    buying O-Pee-Chee (OPC) baseball
  • Options

yep.

• Options
    lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭✭

@secretstash said:
    Isn't the Devon White card one that PSA graded purely for a promotion of some kind? This is pretty cool to land the 10, but does this even have any real value? Congrats either way for the 1 of a kind.

a card is worth what a collector would pay for it. always remember that

• Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 6, 2018 12:22PM

Wow what a score ... congratulations!

How much ?

• Options
    lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭✭

@addicted2ebay said:

How much ?

1k to 1k,5

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thunderdan said:
    Gentlemen, the curse has been broken. I popped the elusive Devon White 88 Donruss in a PSA 10.

1 40747486 GEM MINT 10 1988 Donruss 283 Devon White Card

Wow, just wow! Congratulations on slaying such a rare unicorn, that is amazing!

• Options
    GreenSneakersGreenSneakers Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭

Congrats. Guess I'll just have to keep keep my Devon raw now.

• Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thunderdan said:

@lawyer05 said:

@ReggieCleveland said:
    Dan, did you pull it from a pack or buy raw? If pulled, how much product did it take? I need all the details on this hobby legend.

Arthur

yes please we need to know

i feel like a rock star. devon white is the greatest thing that's ever happened to me. now spending most of my savings unsuccessfully searching for nm/mt 76 kent tekulves doesn't seem so bad.

I pulled it raw. had a bunch of unopened packs. Wife wondered if she should throw them out. I said most likely but let me see how many mike greenwells i can pull in a single pack. In the quest to find multi-greenwell packs, i found this devon white staring at me and my greasy chicken shack fingers. It felt dirty at first, but since that day I am cleansed. A free man at last.

SHOTS FIRED!

Arthur

• Options
    ZTargZTarg Posts: 497 ✭✭✭

Get ready to rake in your ones and ones of dollars.

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,355 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 6, 2018 4:34PM

@thunderdan said:
    Gentlemen, the curse has been broken. I popped the elusive Devon White 88 Donruss in a PSA 10.

1 40747486 GEM MINT 10 1988 Donruss 283 Devon White Card

Congratulations Dan.

Just hope when you get it and open the box your face doesn't melt.

Mike
  • Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭

@lawyer05 said:

@addicted2ebay said:

How much ?

1k to 1k,5

Who do I write the check out too ?

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Boom, grand it!

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dan, you've achieved rarified air with this one, my friend! Congrats!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

I plan on spending my windfall on a cheeseburger.

• Options
    edited July 17, 2018 8:33PM

Congrats again. I could be very wrong here, but my initial reaction is that I don't think you're making the best choice by selling it through a PWCC auction. This one screams Buy-It-Now Or Best Offer to me. We all know there is one guy out there who wants it badly, but it will take two people like that who know of the auction at the same time in order to get any price worthwhile from auction, and I think that is expecting too much in this case.

• Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thunderdan said:
    Well, my unicorn arrived.

I will henceforth be hiring an armored truck to transport it to PWCC's facilities in Lake Oswego's facilities thereupon I will be requesting Brent nay Betsy to use velvet gloves to remove said item from its lace-meshed bubble wrap and pillow embrace. I shall then arrive three days hence on a horse-drawn carriage to discuss pecuniary compensation with master Brent over caviar and champagne.

We...cardboard collectors...are a unique breed! LMAO...

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 17, 2018 8:08PM

Glad someone finally had the courage to say it.

Kevin

• Options

@ReggieCleveland said:
    Weak 10. Doesn't even belong in a 9 holder. Top corners are garbage, extensive and severe edge wear, white spots (print defects) in the red name box, poor registration (everything in the background is out of focus), fisheye (Devon's moustache level, to the right of it in the fan's face), dirt on Devon's uniform, plus Devon isn't even White, he's Black.

Arthur

Excellent hyperbole, Arthur. Thanks for trashing the card.

You’re wrong that the top corners are garbage, and it could have just as easily graded a 9.

• Options

@thunderdan said:

@ReggieCleveland said:
    Weak 10. Doesn't even belong in a 9 holder. Top corners are garbage, extensive and severe edge wear, white spots (print defects) in the red name box, poor registration (everything in the background is out of focus), fisheye (Devon's moustache level, to the right of it in the fan's face), dirt on Devon's uniform, plus Devon isn't even White, he's Black.

Arthur

Excellent hyperbole, Arthur. Thanks for trashing the card.

You’re wrong that the top corners are garbage, and it could have just as easily graded a 9.

Easy now. I think your missing the good natured intent. Your last post was extremely funny and well played. I suspect Arthur was playing along.

Kevin

PS. Or I'm missing your continuation by disagreeing with our replys. Always possible ;)

Kevin

• Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

Is that some slight chipping on the center of the top border??

• Options
    Gemyanks10Gemyanks10 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭

Not trying to be a troll here at all, but I agree with Arthur. The defects pointed out by him are there. Everyone can see them fairly easily if zooming in on the scan. I wouldn’t go so far as to say that the card is garbage, but generally speaking, it’s a generous grade for the card. It isn’t a blazer in other words.

I wouldn’t take the words said here personally, as you plan to sell it anyhow, and I’m sure you’ll do good on it. Money in your pocket = success.

Always looking for OPC "tape intact" baseball wax boxes, and 1984 OPC baseball PSA 10's for my set. Please PM or email me if you have any available.
  • Options
    rcmb3220rcmb3220 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭

Looks about par for the course compared to the other 1988 donruss psa 10s on eBay right now. A lot of white showing on the top middle border but plenty of 10s on non-white bordered cards from that era have the same issue.

• Options
    edited July 18, 2018 7:38AM

Arthur, thanks for that response. I read some things into your comments that weren't intended. We're all good.

• Options

@ReggieCleveland said:
    You know how hard it is to get perfect centering on an '88 Donruss card? They show up like one card every 35 cases.

Arthur

I agree, centering is tough for 88 Donruss. I once ripped a 20-box wax case of this stuff looking for a centered Glavine and a few others, and my head was aching from looking at that wacky blue/black/red/black/blue/black border 10,800 times.

Adam
  • Options

@1970s said:
    Was that company started by two guys named Don and Russ ?

Yes, they were brothers.

Adam
  • Options

@1970s said:
    Was that company started by two guys named Don and Russ ?

Yes, Donald & Russell Weiner.

I actively collect Kirby Puckett. I have collections of Michael Jordan, Emmitt Smith, Roberto Clemente, Dwight Gooden, Tom Seaver, Errict Rhett and Evan Longoria.

• Options
    ergoismergoism Posts: 315 ✭✭✭

@thunderdan, would you be open to a trade/cash deal and a payment plan?

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

I need to check with Jenny first but I am pretty sure we would be willing to trade an unopened case of 75 Topps Baseball wax for that beauty.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dan, I think you're missing a much larger opportunity here. Do you realize that you would have complete dominance over the Devon White player registry set?

Arthur

• Options

@ergoism said:
    @thunderdan, would you be open to a trade/cash deal and a payment plan?

Maybe he’d accept Crypto?

Kevin

• Options

@ergoism I'm looking for Gold Bullion. In a brief case. At the national. Also, I'd like a signed 8 x 10 of the crisser.

• Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,070 ✭✭✭✭✭

1988 Donruss Devon White...the most talked about card in the hobby. I look forward to reading the upcoming Forbes article about it.

• Options
    saucywombatsaucywombat Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭

Devon White ~ Ellis Burks ~ Moises Alou = All 90's underrated outfield

Always looking for 1993-1999 Baseball Finest Refractors and1994 Football Finest Refractors.
    saucywombat@hotmail.com
  • Options
    mb2005mb2005 Posts: 165 ✭✭

It's up on Ebay for anyone who wants a crack at it:
    PSA 10 1988 Donruss Devon White

• Options
    edited August 18, 2018 6:04AM

@mb2005 said:
    It's up on Ebay for anyone who wants a crack at it:
    PSA 10 1988 Donruss Devon White

That item description is great :D

Adam
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

Haha

Does it get any better than the 1988 Donruss Devon White PSA 10? Well, it might not when compared to the 1975 AMC Pacer. You know, that car you first tried to get frisky in only to find out that the chemicals in the bucket seats caused serious road damage to your nether regions. So much for prom.

The 1988 Donruss Devon White population is 353 PSA 7s, 3 PSA 8s, 3 PSA 9s, and 1 PSA 10. This is it. This is your chance at redemption from the fond memories and minor scarring left from your Pacer.

If you want to be the king of the hill in 1988 Donruss, here's your shot.

• Options
    brendanb438brendanb438 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭

I was about to offer $1 and a sugar cookie via eBay but I don't think it is worth the sugar cookie. >:)

• Options

Welp, no luck at 1K. Oh well.

We'll see if anyone snaps it up at $299. If not, I get to feel special that much longer. :D

https://ebay.com/itm/332856303351?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

• Options
    krisd3279krisd3279 Posts: 808 ✭✭✭✭

@thunderdan said:
    Welp, no luck at 1K. Oh well.

We'll see if anyone snaps it up at $299. If not, I get to feel special that much longer. :D

https://ebay.com/itm/332856303351?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

This whole thread is great!! I'm glad it got bumped back to the top so I found it!!!

Kris

My 1971 Topps adventure - Davis Men in Black

• Options

It recently occurred to me to check up on this card. I was very surprised to see the sale price was only $20.72 ?!?!

Looks like the 1988 Donruss 2001 Hawaii Devon White is even more of a desperate search for a 10, according to the pop/sub reports. I didn't even know what the heck the 2001 Hawaii buybacks were.

• Options
    seablasterseablaster Posts: 188 ✭✭✭

@miwlvrn said:
    It recently occurred to me to check up on this card. I was very surprised to see the sale price was only $20.72 ?!?!

I was the underbidder. I hoped against hope that I could bask in the unadulterated beauty of the PSA 10 Devon White, but alas, it was not meant to be.

• Options

@seablaster said:

@miwlvrn said:

I was the underbidder. I hoped against hope that I could bask in the unadulterated beauty of the PSA 10 Devon White, but alas, it was not meant to be.

It is probably likely that you still would have been the underbidder with a 10x multiplier on your bid. I'm betting the winner had a very high snipe entered for that one.