Home U.S. Coin Forum

1935 wheat penny need help!

I know it may be difficult to see. But it seems there may be a defect on this penny. Some professional help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Comments

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

A piece of the metal came off after the coin was struck. This is called a lamination error. Some collectors like them, most don't. I don't and would value it at no more than the face value of one cent.

All glory is fleeting.
  • RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agree. Part of the coin delaminated. The very dark spot below "IN" might be copper oxide which would point to a tiny piece of "fire scale" rolled out when the strip was made. mechanical stress and poor adhesion would favor the bit flaking off as on your coin.

• mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes indeed.
    You have a lamination error as the prior posters have noted.

• AotearoaAotearoa Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:
    A piece of the metal came off after the coin was struck. This is called a lamination error. Some collectors like them, most don't. I don't and would value it at no more than the face value of one cent.

It would have to be before the coin was struck, right?

Smitten with DBLCs.

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,640 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fun to find, worth keeping in my opinion, but not really valuable.

• 1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lamination error AND wood grain. You might get someone to pay a few dollars just to have it. Nice find.

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

What all the above said.

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Aotearoa said:

@291fifth said:

The lamination probably came off after the coin was struck. That coin has seen plenty of wear so there were many chances for the piece of metal to be knocked loose.

All glory is fleeting.
  • jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,614 ✭✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:

@Aotearoa said:

@291fifth said:

The lamination probably came off after the coin was struck. That coin has seen plenty of wear so there were many chances for the piece of metal to be knocked loose.

The Liberty is struck right across where the lamination is missing, so it must have fallen out before striking.

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:

@Aotearoa said:

@291fifth said:

If it came off after the strike, why is the IB on the coin still?

• halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭

Nice Find!

Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • @halfhunter said:
    Nice Find!

Thank you. I was hoping it was something special. Especially the way the "I" and "B" are still present!

• hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool coin with lots of character.

• SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,875 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool find
    Welcome

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tuttle09 ....Welcome aboard.... As stated above, the defect is known as a lamination... actually, to be more precise, it is a de-lamination... It is of numismatic interest, but not really of any significant value. A good teaching tool and worth keeping. Cheers, RickO

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,623 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it, good find. I have a binder filled with all sorts of errors because they are interesting. Cuds, lamination errors, amalgem, die flaws, alignments, etc. Examining coins is fun, never know what I shall find. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file