Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Why does a PCGS coin graded MS70 not get a Rating of 71.00

WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,314 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just a question. I have a 2014 S Silver Kennedy coin graded MS70PL but it only shows a rating of 70.00. It's PCGS # is 535840. Since there is no coin graded higher than a 70 why does it not get the 71.00 under the set rating. The coin also is a signed MOY coin.
Any thoughts?

Kennedys are my quest...

Comments

• StoogeStooge Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well here is your dilemma in a nut shell...

Yes, your coin is the highest coin grade numerically because it's a 70, but...
    The coin you have is only a MS70PL which is the Proof like designation.
    There are 53 MS70DC's for this grade which are the Deep Mirror proof like, and these are the ones that get the 71 points.

I hope this helps...

Later, Paul.
  • WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,314 ✭✭✭✭✭

Appreciate your post. I figured this to be the reason why a 70 coin did not get a rated value of 71. So a DMPL rates a 71 and a regular 70 DC rates a 70 so then why not have a 70 PL rate a 70.5 as in a plus graded coin. Oh well....

Kennedys are my quest...

• davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭✭✭

it is not a 70+

Missing your point davewesen.
    We are talking about the PCGS MS70 PROOF LIKE (MS70PL) and DEEP MIRROR PROOF LIKE (MS70DMPL) coins and their "rated PCGS values". I understand that there is no coin "graded" higher than a "70". The "rated value" by PCGS of a "70" coin is 71.00 and that there are no coins "rated higher" than the 71.00 in a registry set. I was asking why a coin designated MS70PL should not receive a "rated" value of 70.50.
    A regular coin graded 65+ ( plus designation) would receive a rated value of 65.5.
    I hope this clears what I was saying but if not what you are saying, please explain what you mean.
    Keep updating those sets
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• StoogeStooge Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WAYNEAS said:
    Appreciate your post. I figured this to be the reason why a 70 coin did not get a rated value of 71. So a DMPL rates a 71 and a regular 70 DC rates a 70 so then why not have a 70 PL rate a 70.5 as in a plus graded coin. Oh well....

PCGS doesn't give the 0.5 or + for the 69 & 70 grades, nor does it give it out from PO01-XF40.

Later, Paul.
  • KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 16, 2018 11:39AM

not DMPL

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

I went to my registry set and used the "what if" function and changed my 2014 s enhanced Moy Kennedy coin graded ms70pl to a ms70dm and still the coins "rating" stayed at 70.00. This coin has a population of 1 with none higher. So why doesn't this go to a 71 rating? I tried every category with the DM designation and still the rating stays at 70 but if I drop the coin grad to ms69 the rating changes to 69.00. There has to be something or reason why no matter what grade 70 coin you can list stays at a rating of 70.00

Kennedys are my quest...

• GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 18, 2018 8:54AM

I can confirm my MS70DM 2014-S Enhanced Kennedy First Strike does get a 71 rating. I believe it may be that with so many label options, the Moy label may not be fully updated. Your best bet is to directly ask the registry staff who are always very helpful and they will check into it,or explain why it is not.

I also find that PCGS will not show values for some low pop signature versions of coins either, as they do not have enough sales to be accurate for price estimates, or if they are David Hall labels, because they are tied to PCGS and they do not want to influence label values of staff as it could be perceived biased.

@WAYNEAS said:
    I went to my registry set and used the "what if" function and changed my 2014 s enhanced Moy Kennedy coin graded ms70pl to a ms70dm and still the coins "rating" stayed at 70.00. This coin has a population of 1 with none higher. So why doesn't this go to a 71 rating? I tried every category with the DM designation and still the rating stays at 70 but if I drop the coin grad to ms69 the rating changes to 69.00. There has to be something or reason why no matter what grade 70 coin you can list stays at a rating of 70.00

If you look at coin #535118 which is a 2014-S Enhanced silver PCGS MS70DM FS it does get a 71 rating in my modern silver set. Trouble with that, is they are $3,000+ and only about 40 of them, so a major challenge to find.

I also will say you did a great job on your digital album. That 2014 Kennedy you have pictured is definitely not a DM, but it is still a great coin to keep your set complete.

Thank you so much for your insight on this concern.
    I have emailed PCGS on this matter and am awaiting a reply.
    I am glad to hear that your DM coin gets a 71.00 rating of which it justly deserves.
    I was hoping that since a "regular" MS70 coin gets a 70.00 rating that a MS70PL would get a 70.05 Rating as it too is better than the MS70 grade. I will wait for PCGS gets back to me on this.
    What is the name of your set and does it have a digital album?
    Great talking to you.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

Wayne,

My set is US silver complete modern set, I don't get involved with some of the other sub sets as it is good for others to participate more. I do not collect clads at all. I also do not have a nice digital album like yours, as it would take me months or years, lol, to even try to find what I have in various places, let alone get a good picture of over 500 coins.

Goldminers
    I am not a photographer and know the pain it takes to put a digital set together.
    I have a few more sets that I could do a digital album but I could not give the set a justice it deserves in pictures.

Kennedys are my quest...

This is the latest reply from PCGS on my question on Proof like and deep mirror proof like Kennedys:

An answer to your question: “Does a ms70 deep mirror proof like Kennedy coin get a rating of 71.0 or 70.00?”

Their answer:
    ___ 72 if you have the only Top Pop and that particular set is eligible for bonus points (Eligible sets for Bonus Points: Basic, Major Variety, and Complete Variety)

___ 71 if you are tied for Top Pop and that particular set is eligible for bonus points (Eligible sets for Bonus Points: Basic, Major Variety, and Complete Variety)

___ 70 if you do not have Top Pop Bonuses or that set is not eligible for bonus points (Non-Eligible Sets for Bonus Points: Type and Date)

As you can see, as Gayle and I have both explained, it depends on the specific set you are participating in. There is no overall yes or no answer for, as each set has its own bonuses/ratings. If you have a specific set you are confused about, please send me a link to your set, and I will be happy to tell you for that specific set whether or not your 2014 coin gets the 72, 71, or 70.
    I have sent them the cert # and the set link and am awaiting further info from them. I will update this thread when they supply the info.

Kennedys are my quest...

Perseverance pays off: Received the following email from PCGS:
    Hi Wayne,
    In looking through the set to answer your question, we actually located an error within the system and have subsequently corrected it. Your item should be receiving one bonus point for being tied with the remaining items for top pop bonus, bringing its rating to 71 (as originally, the set was looking at the PL designation, which is what caused the confusion)
    I apologize for any confusion this has caused!
    :):):):)

Bryan Murphy
    Set Registry Coordinator

Kennedys are my quest...

This "error" was the original question to PCGS about 9 months ago

so keep plugging away no matter what until you get that answer you are looking for

I thank all those who followed this thread and their responses

The 2018 s proof coins have the same issue in pr70dc

will see how long it takes for them to fix it

Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

bump

Kennedys are my quest...