Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Need some help in selling a coin

Hopefully this is the right slot for this. Im going to sell my 2009 MS70- NGC- PL $20 St Gaudens Gold Coin on ebay. I had it listed here for offers & never got any. So that being said I know I paid alot more money for it then what I can get, but my question is whats a fair price to list it as buy it now or best offer. Or should I do the auction. If I put resrve on it then I pay another fee. Thanks for the advice

Comments

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

How urgent do you need to sell it? Fair price is what the market dictate.....note the average price sold the last week or so and decide on yours BIN. IMO coins on Auction with BIN usually attract more on lookers.
    Good Luck!

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    Jim2359Jim2359 Posts: 281 ✭✭

Thanks, Great Collections isnt a option as its 1 coin & I would have no clue. As far as how fast I need to sell theres no hurry, was going to use money to purchase other coins. Thanks Jim

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jim2359 said:
    Thanks, Great Collections isnt a option as its** 1 coin** & I would have no clue. As far as how fast I need to sell theres no hurry, was going to use money to purchase other coins. Thanks Jim

I do not think there is a 'minimum' number of coins to sell through GC :smile:

**GreatCollections Coin Auctions and Rare Coins
    Sell your coins/paper money to the highest bidder at auction

• Extensive marketing, including by e-mail, online and in traditional media
    • Discounted coin grading rates at PCGS, NGC and ANACS
    • Discounted paper money grading rates at PMG and PCGS Currency
    • No minimum consignment
    • The lowest seller's fees - 0% for coins/banknotes that realize over $1,000 or 5% for coins/banknotes $1,000 or under
    • Instant cash advances available
    • Fast professional service - Get a free auction estimate by our professionals

Consign in two easy steps
    1. Complete a GreatCollections consignment form
    2. Send this consignment form and coins/paper money to GreatCollections via insured mail **

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 9, 2018 9:37AM

Just remember Ebay will charge you 10% right off the bat at least they do me. But mine were all buy it now type. You might want to do a past history and see what your year brought in the last few months. Give you an idea of what others have sold there's for.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,074 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 9, 2018 9:57AM

Really? They are waiving the Buyer's Premium? :wink:

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,074 ✭✭✭✭✭

Honestly, you may be able to do better directly to a dealer - if there are any in your area.

eBay will cost you about 13%. Great collections will cost you 10%+ (do they charge for reserves?), shipping alone will cost you 1%.

A dealer MAY (depends on the dealer) be in the 10% range also. If you don't have one locally, you could go eBay or GC. In GC, you MUST have a reserve. On eBay, you can better control the price with BIN/Best offer, but you might want to wait for a fee discount promotion or something.

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe that your best option would be Great Collections. Fees net out to about the same or as on Ebay but they do all the work. A single coin (particularly of that value) is no problem. As Paradise noted...check out recent sale prices first so that you won't be disappointed.

Ian Russell of Great Collections is a member here and is very quick to help with any questions. Messages and emails to him get quick responses.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,954 ✭✭✭✭✭

Check with local store dealers. You have what is essentially a common modern gold coin and spending a lot of time and effort trying to wring every last cent out of it will probably prove to be a mistake. If the offer seems reasonable, take it and don't look back.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know what those are worth (assuming $1000+) but if your item sells for over 1,000 there are no seller fees.

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options

Thankyou all for the help

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't let GC talk you into a low reserve price. Watch a few close on ebay, then set reserve back of that. Cost me a grand on an SVDB one time.

• Options
    AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 9, 2018 10:40AM

I have had some coins sit for a month or two. But, they've all realized 200-300%. BIN with auto decline whatever you're comfortable with, so you don't get a $4 offer and someone who blasts their five offers to annoy you.

Your best bet might be listing it in another category during ebay bonus bucks, which people are getting or using right now, or during a 10% seller bucks promo.

Outside of that, GC is probably your best bet. Could also do the BIN and keep it as a pocket piece for shows, perhaps you might end up realizing more than a while on ebay at 13% or whichever.

Good luck!!

Edit: Can't read it on my phone but looks like one sold at Heritage on 4/27/18 for almost 10k. Wow! There's one on ebay now (282843897856) but why on God's green earth would someone have such crap pictures for a coin worth thousands and thousands? Smh.

• Options

There ARE NO SELLER FEES on coins over $1,000 at Great Collections

bob :)
    https://www.greatcollections.com/main-sell

• Options
    cardinalcardinal Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭✭✭

Note that the linked Great Collections auction was for a PCGS FIRST STRIKE PL example, which makes a huge difference!

• Options

My bad, still well above a grand though. NGC = $3k ?

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,915 ✭✭✭✭✭

On eBay, hidden reserves are often met with skepticism that you can't win unless you pay way too much, and as a result, many bidders don't participate at all. For example, let's pretend a coin is worth $1000 and has a reserve. You might set it end hundreds of dollars shy because people assume that if there's a hidden reserve, it must be $1250 or $1500, and they don't want to waste their time.

If you want to protect yourself on eBay, I would just list at the minimum amount you will accept. You don't risk paying the reserve fee if the item doesn't sell, and then no one thinks you're playing games. They might still think the price is too high, but in this case, they'd know it and move on, rather than guess your price is too high and not have a chance to find out it's actually reasonable.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

You could probably sell it here in the BST quickly if you offer a fair price and have images posted.
    Asking for offers usually gets you nowhere

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options

Thanks I will try here 1st.

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why does "First Strike" make a $10k+ difference? That makes no sense to me.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you list it on the BST with a fair price (check auctions etc.), you will usually move it in a reasonable time frame... and no fees (take that into consideration when you price it). Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file