Home U.S. & World Currency Forum

LET US KNOW - DID YOUR NOTE CROSS OVER? PMG PCGS CGA RCGS

Starting a thread to help inform on what grading opinions the agencies have on notes. Personal opinions welcome too as grading is just an opinion, whether performed by an individual collector or professional agency.

Tagged:

Comments

• synchrsynchr Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 8, 2018 7:20AM

There is embossing on this note

edited July 8, 2018 7:20AM

Just back from PMG, the corresponding Mule

edited July 8, 2018 7:05AM

$1 SC, same same

edited July 8, 2018 7:19AM

$5 SC A to Mule Change Over Pair back from PMG 2 months ago

edited July 8, 2018 7:12AM

North Africa Star

edited July 8, 2018 7:14AM

1934B 1934C
    Very light handling mark on the first note

edited July 8, 2018 7:18AM

Recent fp 86 back from PMG 2 months ago
    The seal does have that chunk spot on it

• TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭✭

Very interesting! On these particular examples, I think I would've preferred to buy more notes vs. invest money to cross them. But that's what makes the hobby fun, there are so many avenues for us to travel on our journey. Thanks for sharing.

• Each company has a slightly different way of grading. Not surprised at these results but in my experience notes from PMG usually drop lower once submitted to PCGS. You seem to have the opposite happen here.

• Also let me know when you're ready to sell the $2 28D BA non mule.

edited July 23, 2018 7:12AM

@redsealusn said:
    Each company has a slightly different way of grading. Not surprised at these results but in my experience notes from PMG usually drop lower once submitted to PCGS. You seem to have the opposite happen here.

Agreed. 3 to 5 years ago I observed this exact same thing but since then have noticed an inverted trend.
    I Cross submitted these because I thought they would INCREASE in grade.

Then again, none of the note grades are that far from the other.

@teddysmith1952 said:

@redsealusn said:
    Each company has a slightly different way of grading. Not surprised at these results but in my experience notes from PMG usually drop lower once submitted to PCGS. You seem to have the opposite happen here.

I totally agree. Are you going to post the notes that came back with higher PMG grades? Thanks.

Please feel free to post your cross over notes, more data is better

@redsealusn said:
    Also let me know when you're ready to sell the $2 28D BA non mule.

I have 7, what are you paying ?

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice, thank you for sharing !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • @teddysmith1952 said:

@redsealusn said:

I totally agree. Are you going to post the notes that came back with higher PMG grades? Thanks.

I sold some and didn't save the labels to show the difference.

• @synchr said:

@teddysmith1952 said:

@redsealusn said:

Please feel free to post your cross over notes, more data is better

@redsealusn said:
    Also let me know when you're ready to sell the $2 28D BA non mule.

I have 7, what are you paying ?

For the VF 35 $1750. I currently have a PCGS 25 so looking for an upgrade.

• Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t have a lot of experience crossing notes, maybe a dozen or so.
    It’s been my experience that most notes cross equally from PCGS to PMG, or vise versa if in higher grades, but have found that PMG is a little stricter on mid-grade and lower grade notes.

Three years back, I sent PMG four notes in CGA (new) holders, and every one of them came back with identical grades.

• gnatgnat Posts: 392 ✭✭✭
    edited July 10, 2018 3:59PM

I've crossed close to 200 PMG notes to PCGS (and some the other way or back) and own a lot more PMG notes that I haven't crossed. While this is a tiny sample, relative to the number of notes each service has graded, my observations are somewhat at variance with the examples mentioned above.

Most, but certainly not all, notes were "CU" of some stripe. For most notes I buy, I try to get ones with good eye appeal or rarity.

1. Bump Ups! For a few notes, I got a bump up in grade from PCGS - generally small bump (e.g., 55EPQ to a 58PPQ; 64 to 66PPQ (the best); 66EPQ to 67PPQ).

2. Straight Crossed. Most notes crossed at the same grade. This is what you would both hope for and expect.

3. Downgrades. Many more notes (but certainly not more than 15+/-%) got knocked down in grade rather than up. Typical of the downgrades were 66EPQ to 65PPQ or 65EPQ to 64PPQ. Variations that are to be expected.

However, I got burned on several high grade (and in a couple cases higher dollar) notes that were significantly hit. The worst hits were a 64 that went to a 53 (ouch) and a 66EPQ that went to 53 (double ouch) - since re-crossed back to 66EPQ (Yeah).

More typical were 66EPQ going to 58PPQ. This is to be expected for a certain percentage as one service may see (or think they see) something the other didn't. A slight fold or crimp may be the only difference between such grades.

With all this said, I find both PMG and PCGS to be good, honest companies who offer a valuable service. They overwhelmingly get it right.

The one comment that did not comport with my experience is that contrary to what was said, I find that PMG has often overgraded notes in the F15 to VF30 range. This may have changed in more recent times.

“With all this said, I find both PMG and PCGS to be good, honest companies who offer a valuable service. They overwhelmingly get it right.”

100% agree !

edited July 11, 2018 6:08AM

@mbwizkid said:
    I don’t have a lot of experience crossing notes, maybe a dozen or so.
    It’s been my experience that most notes cross equally from PCGS to PMG, or vise versa if in higher grades, but have found that PMG is a little stricter on mid-grade and lower grade notes.

Three years back, I sent PMG four notes in CGA (new) holders, and every one of them came back with identical grades.

Agreed, the purpose of the thread is to show actual data points, examples of what has occurred. More data is better.
    There are a lot of opinions, always favortism with broad strokes, and we are all outspoken :) especially on such a controversial topic.
    But let's cut through that look at actual results without hyperbole.

It was this controversial post in the "Rooky needing advice" thread that really raised my eyebrow as a broad stroke with no data backing it up.

@Tookybandit said:
    PMG notes often will not cross over at the same grade to PCGS Currency holders. At an AU range there will not generally be a massive swing from one brand to the other. However, PCGS Currncy tends to be more conservative...

In defense of Robert (Tookybandit), I believe this to be his opinion and he’s entitled to it.

PCGS and PMG are world respected and regarded as paper money’s top tier grading services. Featured by all major auction houses, including Heritage, Stacks, Lyn Knight and eBay.
    It’s almost a Ford/Chevy or Coke/Pepsi comparison. Many collectors have registry sets at these two grading services, and many others do not or prefer not to have their notes graded at all.

Buy the note, not the holder.

I respect Robert and always enjoy discussions, especially his enthusiasm. In this case he painted a broad stroke... so let's find out more using actual data.
    Surely folks get notes back and decide to submit them elsewhere :) Or is that too revealing, killing any market sales advantage?

• My experience has been very similar to Kraig's (KT5Silver). As a PCGS registry set guy I've had to buy many PMG holdered notes to try and cross to PCGS to fill holes in my sets and it's been very typical for a PMG 65 or 66 to not even make a CU grade once submitted to PCGS. I have had a few PMG notes in the 35 to 50 range move up a few points at PCGS so it can go either way sometimes. PMG is absolutely inconsistent and often times much too generous in the fine 15 to VF 30 range.

Great conversation, thanks for the input.
    Got any photos?

edited May 11, 2019 8:21PM

All four crossed identically.

teddysmith1952 said:
    Thank you for posting photos

edited May 16, 2019 9:54AM

I got this from Alex Perakis in 1996

edited May 18, 2019 7:32AM

Submitted looking for that elusive "upgrade" from PMG and PMG calls it just as PCGS

edited May 18, 2019 7:37AM

PCGS output a lot of 58PPQ

• logger7logger7 Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 25, 2022 1:51PM

Yes when the note is clearly unc., or AU or XF without issues.

• Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 15, 2021 3:53PM

Planning PCGS submission.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • OldPMOldPM Posts: 3

I've re-holdered CGA & PCGS notes to PMG. All my CGA notes routinely came back TWO grades lower, sometimes three, with PCGS notes a lot have come back one grade lower. Close inspection before sending in, you can usually spot the reason. PMG is very strict with the margins, which, in MHO, tells me PCGS didn't ding a grade for poorly centered notes, just the quality. Have a few PCGS notes left, will keep and will stick with PMG only in future. Also, considering, will be more discriminate about PCGS notes.

edited May 26, 2020 6:26AM

@OldPM said:
    I've re-holdered CGA & PCGS notes to PMG. All my CGA notes routinely came back TWO grades lower, sometimes three, with PCGS notes a lot have come back one grade lower. Close inspection before sending in, you can usually spot the reason. PMG is very strict with the margins, which, in MHO, tells me PCGS didn't ding a grade for poorly centered notes, just the quality.

Have a few PCGS notes left, will keep and will stick with PMG only in future. Also, considering, will be more discriminate about PCGS notes.

@synchr said:
    Just back from PMG, the corresponding Mule

Without any way to verify the old PCGS numbers on the holders there is no way for a buyer to vet a prospective PCGS purchase

• OldPMOldPM Posts: 3

Was heavy in the CGA notes, very few - 2 or 3 - came back same grade or higher, otherwise like PCGS came back a grade lower but not as bad as the CGA notes. Look strictly at PMG now, unless can only find in PCGS, and then really look hard before purchase.

• coinfun31coinfun31 Posts: 28
    edited May 26, 2020 5:04PM

Crossover to pmg no complaints

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great thread. 👍
    Nothing to add as I’ve been strictly buying PMG notes. I am open to the new PCGS holders as they are back in-house again.

I wonder if much is known about the new PCGS grading so far... ?

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

And the new holders appear much nicer!

edited June 12, 2020 2:32AM

@asheland said:
    Great thread. 👍
    Nothing to add as I’ve been strictly buying PMG notes. I am open to the new PCGS holders as they are back in-house again.

I wonder if much is known about the new PCGS grading so far... ?

It would be great to seem some blind comparisons
    They do not seem to be very busy, probably get rapid turn around time

• mfontesmfontes Posts: 146 ✭✭✭

I played the crossover game for years. It is nothing but angst and terror waiting for a 65P to cross. I've had too many cross to 64P and that is a total waste of money. I wont cross any more notes. They are what they are when in a holder.

edited June 14, 2020 8:57AM

CGA 60 to a PCGS 64PPQ on Ebay 323983251578

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/n9gAAOSwzhle48xy/s-l1600.jpg