Home U.S. Coin Forum

Invitation: Your stories from the (Long) Beach

TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

Post your experiences, NEWPS, and stories from this weekends Long Beach Expo!

I usually do my own post, but sometimes it feels like I'm playing "Look at ME!" So instead, I'm going to open up a thread for any and all posts....big or small.....positive or negative. I'll add mine in a while, once I get some NEWP photos taken.

I also tried to force myself to do some photos of the show to put us in the mood. But I'm not a photo guy, and well, I only ended up with a few....and none of the bourse in general. (I also end up with very few vacation photos, so my friends are blessed in that regard).

View of the LB Convention Center from across Pine Ave:

Escalators down onto the show floor:

Our Expo hosts, (and message board hosts):

(Of course, LAST show, I had to wait in line for 40 minutes to submit. This time, when I decided NOT to submit, there was no waiting. Story of my life).

The "Tyrant Collection" exhibit:

This time, "Tyrants of the Tigris and Euphrates". Lots of gold and silver with middle eastern writing, and portraits. Quite impressive...particularly when one knows so LITTLE about the coinage of that era.

Post away....I'll be back....

Easily distracted Type Collector

Comments

• blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,437 ✭✭✭✭✭

Doesn't look very crowded. I know it's only Friday but have the dealers started leaving yet? Would love to see the "Tyrant Collection"

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• goldengolden Posts: 9,050 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would love to be at the show, or any show.

• HallcoHallco Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭✭✭

@golden said:
    I would love to be at the show, or any show.

Me too!

• TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blitzdude said:
    Doesn't look very crowded. I know it's only Friday but have the dealers started leaving yet? Would love to see the "Tyrant Collection"

Like most Fridays, most dealers said YESTERDAY was better. I've never been there on a Thursday, but someday I need to, just to see what better looks like!

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • rln_14rln_14 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the report, like calif commem

• goldengolden Posts: 9,050 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the nice report. I like the coins that you bought.

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sweet, thanks for sharing !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • SimpleCollectorSimpleCollector Posts: 536 ✭✭✭✭✭

• SimpleCollectorSimpleCollector Posts: 536 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting to note your first coin purchased and your last coin are 49 & 1/2 cents apart and the last coin celebrates the 49'ers (gold rush).
    They're also 121 years apart in age. 121 ounces was the largest single day's take of gold.

• coinhackcoinhack Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭✭

I like your half cent. I would like to find one just like it. The show report was excellent. If you had taken a picture of the pizza and beer, you would rate right up there with Charmy. :D

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,014 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for taking us on a "field trip" to the show with your excellent descriptions.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the Cali Commems. Bay Bridge a fav. That’s a fantastic show to attend. Interesting coins.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the excellent show report... looks as if you did very well.... Did you notice any movement at bullion dealers? Cheers, RickO

• jonrunsjonruns Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

Grear report thanks!

• oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now THAT is a collector's show report, great fun. Nice coins. Tommy, you may be my lost twin based on the way you collect.

• jedmjedm Posts: 2,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great report! Your pics aren't that bad...really.

• alohagaryalohagary Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭✭

Excellent report, thanks for sharing, wish I was there

• skier07skier07 Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 16, 2018 7:28PM

I was at the show Thursday and today, Saturday.

The show was crowded Thursday at 12:00 but by 4:00 it was dead.

I submitted a few more coins today. Arrived at 12:00 and ~60-70% of the dealers were gone. From what I heard the dealers were packing up Friday afternoon. I’d be pissed if I had to pay full price to enter today.

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good report, thanks. I've been waiting for a LB report. Wish I could have been there.

• cnncoinscnncoins Posts: 414 ✭✭✭✭

TommyType you should have stopped by to say "hi"! My table is right next to PCGS, just to the left of the them.
    I thought the show was much better than the average June LB Show. We sold a wide range of coins (and bought many coins from both the public and other dealers). I do think the show had less East Coast dealers than usual due to the Baltimore Show next week. Thursday was very busy with both retail and wholesale, but Friday and Saturday were relatively slow.

If you are going to attend the Baltimore Show next week, stop by table #345 and say hello. Going forward, we are sharing tables at Baltimore with Ian and Great Collections.

• KollectorKingKollectorKing Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 17, 2018 5:57AM

@USMarine6 said:
    Although I didn't attend the show I did send a coin with a friend of mine to have graded at the show.
    I bought this 1877s dime in an online auction with worse pictures than mine. I took a chance on it and won it for $200 well below my Max. She graded MS65 and couldn't have been happier. Turns out it will be my biggest score ever.

Well done, congrats, and YOU SUCK!

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

USMarine6, I like the surface/patina on your dime. My kind of coin. Very nice.

• Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,144 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great report, and very nice NEWPS - thanks for sharing!

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • cnncoinscnncoins Posts: 414 ✭✭✭✭

The LB Show in general was better than usual for a June Show. One of my favorite things about the show is the Treasure Hunt on Saturday for the kids. They come in with their parents (or any adult) and go to participating table holders and answer numismatic questions. We give out coins (buffalo nickels, steel pennies, etc) to them when they have answered the questions correctly. We have participated the last several shows and it is amazing to see the turnout of kids on Saturday. If this is any indication on the state of numismatics and the interest of our younger generation in coins, we should be quite happy. I encourage any other table holders to participate!

• SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,880 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool thread and great report @TommyType
    Ain't coin shows fun?

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cnncoins ...That treasure hunt for kids sounds like fun.... I do not recall any shows that did that when I lived out west.....Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file