Home Precious Metals

For Sale: good bracelets. Or Scrap gold?

ajwajw Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
edited April 30, 2018 6:43AM in Precious Metals

I have some old gold bracelets I’d like to sell. Does anyone know the best way to do so? Looks like 29 grams according to my kitchen scale.

Please PM me if you’re interested in buying it. Thanks!

Comments

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

PM sent !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • ajwajw Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭

Here’s another photo. I believe both are 14k.

• Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe put for sale on your post and you will get more offers, If you did not sell them yet very cool.

Hoard the keys.
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've seen chains similar to these that were gold plated brass yet were marked 14K so be very careful.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

My father bought both of these at reputable jewelry stores in Wisconsin. I’d be shocked if they are not legit.

@PerryHall said:
    I've seen chains similar to these that were gold plated brass yet were marked 14K so be very careful.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Best to have them checked.... as PerryHall said, there are a lot of fakes out there.... Cheers, RickO

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thats why I like wedding bands , its all one piece. Bracelets or necklaces might be marked at the end but is every link real? Especially in a world with ali baba or ali express whatever its called now. Some sweat shop in china will stamp whatever you like on anything you ask them to for an extra 20 cents per

• rte592rte592 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting clasp on that one on the left.
    Both look like they have a bit of wear.
    Maybe too much wear to bring jewelry price over scrap.
    That would depend on the buyer.
    Your probably looking at $500/$600.
    Just my WAG.

Hi all - is anyone interested in these? I’d like to move them at a price fair to me and the buyer.

Thanks!

@ajw said:
    Hi all - is anyone interested in these? I’d like to move them at a price fair to me and the buyer.

Thanks!

What's the length, width, weight and price your looking for on the one bracelet with the lobster clasp?

@rte592 said:

What's the length, width, weight and price your looking for on the one bracelet with the lobster clasp?

That one is 16 grams by my kitchen scale. I’d like $350 via PayPal. I’ll measure it when I have a chance.

I responded to the above thread and we agreed on a price of $350 for the unbroken bracelet. His description did not indicate any certain type of payment. He then PM's me and wants payment by PayPal. I told him I don't know how to do PayPal. No response from him whatsoever. Now he has it listed at the price we agreed upon and payment by PayPal. What gives ? :s

Timbuk3

Sorry, TimBuk3. That was poor form on my part. I’ll admit that. I was looking for payment faster than money order through the mail, which is what you offered. I was hoping for PayPal, which I thought was pretty standard. Either way, I should have told you that. I’m sorry that I didn’t. Poor form on my part.

Mea Culpa.

I’ll PM you.

Give him another $200 for the broken one and you both will come out good.

Thanks, PM sent !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can you sell my stuff ?

@TwoSides2aCoin said:
    Can you sell my stuff ?

Sure, what do you have?

Complete misunderstanding. Deal completed with ajw !!!

Thanks !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very good, Nice to see that all here can work things out and fix anything.

Hoard the keys.

@rte592 said:

@TwoSides2aCoin said:
    Can you sell my stuff ?

Sure, what do you have?

A Coin Shop, and acoinshop.com.

Received items from post seller, items as described, thanks !!! :)

Timbuk3

Gorham Silver Set, previously.
    I turned it into mud. 10 pounds of pure silver for pour .:).
    Will be pouring my own little joey's.

• ranger1202ranger1202 Posts: 68 ✭✭✭

@TwoSides2aCoin said:

Gorham Silver Set, previously.
    I turned it into mud. 10 pounds of pure silver for pour .:).
    Will be pouring my own little joey's.

@TwoSides2aCoin, was the Gorham set damaged? I would think most Gorham marked sets are worth more than the intrinsic silver value.

The spoons and forks weren't all Gorham, Ranger. I tried selling some of it (tea sets/ cups/ etc.), on ebay, starting at 30% below intrinsic value on a few pieces, and found that people either weren't paying attention, or (and this is my thinking) don't find "value" in silver, or most likely never use Sterling flatware, or utensils any more. It's true. I couldn't get a $900 bid for $1200 worth of silver.

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some Gorham is worth it's weight in gold, some you can't get even get silver scrap for.
    Likely it was mid-century and nothing wrong with melting down.

It wasn't actually melted. It was dissolved using the AquaRegia method. Once it was all liquid, the silver chloride is precipitated with salt. Then there are other processes involved (including sodium hydroxide and dextrose ) , to get the silver into it's purest form. After that, it's no longer .925. The copper remains in the liquid. That's not precipitated. The mud is 999.5 + pure silver.
    Then the melt occurs. Then, the pour Then it's back to electrolysis methods for capturing the copper. I don't think that part will ever be complete. I may just neutralize the acid and forget about ever doing this again. It's fun, educational, and a learning experience. I would not recommend it to any old Joe. On that note, I buy scrap.
    The refinery trip is a lot easier.