Home U.S. & World Currency Forum

Mule Question

I have a lot to learn about currency and expected both of these to be mules. Why would one be a mule and the other not? Both have face check #1371 and back check #1015. Thanks!

"Let me tell ya Bud, you can buy junk anytime!"

Comments

• synchrsynchr Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭✭

Quick answer: They both have back plates of 1015 which is above the threshold (930 and higher) so are both Mules, just not stated on holder.

Some background, in the animal kingdom a Mule is a halfbreed between a donkey and a burro. In currency collecting it is a face plate from one series and a backplate from a different series. This happens at the change of a series where the backs look so close that the BEP kept using the old ones with the new front plates until the old back plates wore out and had to be changed.

For example, you have shown notes with a 1935 plain fronts BUT the backs are from the 1935-A series making them both Mules.

• VeepVeep Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks. I suspected it HAD to be a mechanical error but lacked the confidence to declare that. Thanks for clarifying.

"Let me tell ya Bud, you can buy junk anytime!"
  • Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

:) !!!

Timbuk3

Plate positions A and B are from the same sheet, perhaps call PMG and politely remark that the Fr. number is incorrect on their first holder and ask if they would correct it gratis

Should be Fr. 1607m, PMG let that one slip out

• Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭✭✭

@synchr said:
    Some background, in the animal kingdom a Mule is a halfbreed between a donkey and a burro.

Well, almost......A mule is the offspring of a male donkey and a female horse.

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

@synchr said:
    Quick answer: They both have back plates of 1015 which is above the threshold (930 and higher) so are both Mules, just not stated on holder.

Some background, in the animal kingdom a Mule is a halfbreed between a donkey and a burro. In currency collecting it is a face plate from one series and a backplate from a different series. This happens at the change of a series where the backs look so close that the BEP kept using the old ones with the new front plates until the old back plates wore out and had to be changed.

For example, you have shown notes with a 1935 plain fronts BUT the backs are from the 1935-A series making them both Mules.

NO, a mule is the offspring of a donkey (male) and a horse (female). Burros do not cross breed.

bob :):)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
    edited November 30, 2020 11:45AM

Merry Christmas!

edited December 30, 2020 11:00AM

When is a Mule not a "Mule" ?
    When Bill is selling a 1935-A series with bp 2924 (buyer beware)

FR1608m* 1935A $1 SILVER CERT MULE STAR NOTE -- GEM CU -- WLM2977 $1,100.00
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/142313812510

• luckybucksluckybucks Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭

This is why educating dealers and collectors is so important (and fun).

• luckybucksluckybucks Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭

Somewhere in my papers is all of the blocks and districts of possible mules.

edited January 14, 2021 1:19AM

This is a real Mule Star
    if I do say so myself