Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

My coin is stuck in it's plastic airtite holder despite some shaking & pounding. SOS

ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

The plastic holder "holding" the coin has 4 "pronks" and seems the coin was probably forced into it....
Is there a safe trick to get it out? There are also some uneven toning / rusting on the edge :s

Comments

• Options

Unlike my 1st one....this is quite a trial......

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,236 ✭✭✭✭✭

place coin face down on soft surface. grab once side of capsule and try to bend/flex it while holding the other side down.

Are they really this stupid, or are they destroying the dollar on purpose?

• Options

:# still no can :s

@derryb said:
    place coin face down on soft surface. grab once side of capsule and try to bend/flex it while holding the other side down.

• Options

then you're gonna have to pry coin out with plastic/soft tool.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,485 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why not just leave it in the capsule?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

Try a hair dryer to heat the plastic then slam it to pop out.

• Options

:/ I am afraid the "corrosion" may continue; making it even more bonded with it's plastic casing.

@PerryHall said:
    Why not just leave it in the capsule?

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,559 ✭✭✭✭✭

Since when does silver rust? ;)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options

no can do :D

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

• Options

I know it does not rust.....it looks brownish though....

@AUandAG said:

• Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like the plastic has an edge. Can you bend the edge back enough to break the plastic?

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Paradisefound said:
    no can do :D

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

Hot water then, or put it close to the lava :D

• Options

4 edges spaced evenly.....maybe I can use a very small scissors down to snipe the edges

@dpoole said:
    Looks like the plastic has an edge. Can you bend the edge back enough to break the plastic?

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is a seam along the edge where the two half's join. Can you get a knife blade into that seam and and lever off one of the half's?

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Boil it.
    If that doesn't work, freeze it.

SOMETHING is gonna get that plastic off.

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,889 ✭✭✭✭✭

Slip it under the refrigerator overnight

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Acetone ? :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very hot water as mentioned above. Sometimes they can get "cross-threaded" when the prongs or plastic break or a variety of other reasons.

• Options
    AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭✭✭

Also if you cannot accomplish this task, don't add a knife to the equation.

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

return to who you bought it from. have them give your there shipping account number but take pictures beforehand.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options

:| but will the water cause future effect to the coin?

@topstuf said:
    Boil it.
    If that doesn't work, freeze it.
    SOMETHING is gonna get that plastic off.
    @Swampboy said:
    @Azurescens said:
    Very hot water as mentioned above. Sometimes they can get "cross-threaded" when the prongs or plastic break or a variety of other reasons.

• Options
    edited May 29, 2018 12:38PM

I agree 100% with you Kathy; extreme attempts may cause damage to the coin. Return is a better option :| Thank you all for trying to help me <3

The Hawaiian slang says:
    if Can,
    Can
    If No Can,
    No Can

@Kkathyl said:
    return to who you bought it from. have them give your there shipping account number but take pictures beforehand.

• Options

send in for grading in the capsule. PCGS will get it out.

• Options

Really? Are you very serious derryb? I thought they ask for coin to be placed in flap :o

@derryb said:
    send in for grading in the capsule. PCGS will get it out.

• Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah but Yoda also said "there is no try, only do."

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

If the world were perfect, it wouldn't be.

Yogi Berra

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Paradisefound said:
    I know it does not rust.....it looks brownish though....

@AUandAG said:

Dip it, get all that yucky tone off.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

DON'T DO ANYTHING YET!

1. it appears you have split the capsule open so it is in two parts correct?
  • Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

Freeze it. The metal should contract more than the plastic. Might be enough to get the coin out.

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Swampboy said:

Won't it get dusty under there? Anyway, who really knows what's lurking under their refrigerator?
    ;)

• Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Paradisefound said:

The Hawaiian slang says:
    if Can,
    Can
    If No Can,
    No Can

Question 1: How long did it take you Hawaiian's to come up with this?
    Question 2: How much booze was involved?

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

The rhyme appears to be contaminated with Hawaiʻi poi.

How many fingers can you use?

;)

• Options
    edited May 29, 2018 3:22PM

Locals been saying it way before Haoli came to this island I suppose...(FYI: I am not Hawaiian but HAPA)

B) Here are the better reasons....

@Wabbit2313 said:

@Paradisefound said:

The Hawaiian slang says:
    if Can,
    Can
    If No Can,
    No Can

Question 1: How long did it take you Hawaiian's to come up with this?
    Question 2: How much booze was involved?

@RogerB said:

;)

• Options

I only need the MIDDLE one

@RogerB said:

;)

• Options
    cardinalcardinal Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hello @Paradisefound,

If you would like to have the coin slabbed by PCGS, go ahead and submit it as is. The capsule it is in is the original Mint capsule, and PCGS does not require you to open them. (I have done this numerous times with these medals, as well as U.S. Silver Eagles, as the capsule protects the coin during transit.)

If you don't want the coin to be slabbed by PCGS, you can CAREFULLY use a dull knife to slide into the opening along the side where the two halves meet. Each of the two capsule pieces have plastic surrounding the edge, so keeping the knife edge up against the part of the capsule rim that extends flat outward from the coin, and then angling the knife to put pressure on the opposing piece will slowly separate the pieces. With the outer piece removed, there will be less pressure exerted on the edge of the coin itself, and then the coin should come out easily.

• Options
    edited May 29, 2018 4:06PM

Hello @Paradisefound,

Looking at the picture again, it looks like you separated the two parts of the capsule already. In this case, you raise the coin above a very soft, very clean cotton cloth, and then hold the coin on its edge with the fingers of both hands, and press your thumbs in the middle of the back of the capsule. This will flex the capsule and expand the outer rim, while applying pressure to the center to push the coin out.

• Options

@cardinal said:
    Hello @Paradisefound,

If you don't want the coin to be slabbed by PCGS, you can CAREFULLY use a dull knife to slide into the opening along the side where the two halves meet. Each of the two capsule pieces have plastic surrounding the edge, so keeping the knife edge up against the part of the capsule rim that extends flat outward from the coin, and then angling the knife to put pressure on the opposing piece will slowly separate the pieces. With the outer piece removed, there will be less pressure exerted on the edge of the coin itself, and then the coin should come out easily.

Look at his pic. Capsule has been opened. Coin is stuck in bottom half of capsule.

• Options

@derryb said:

@cardinal said:
    Hello @Paradisefound,

Look at his pic. Capsule has been opened. Coin is stuck in bottom half of capsule.

Yes, you are correct. I noticed that just after posting my first suggestion; hence, my follow-up comment.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:

@cardinal said:
    Hello @Paradisefound,

He’s a she ;)

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:

@derryb said:

@cardinal said:
    Hello @Paradisefound,

He’s a she ;)

m

I said hey babe, take a walk on the wild side. :D

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options

No Can

@cardinal said:
    Hello @Paradisefound,

Looking at the picture again, it looks like you separated the two parts of the capsule already. In this case, you raise the coin above a very soft, very clean cotton cloth, and then hold the coin on its edge with the fingers of both hands, and press your thumbs in the middle of the back of the capsule. This will flex the capsule and expand the outer rim, while applying pressure to the center to push the coin out.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Come on! Put a little effort in it! If a man can a Woman can....Right? >:) If you have the pieces separated you should be able to do what Cardinal said!

@Paradisefound said:
    No Can

@cardinal said:
    Hello @Paradisefound,

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,262 ✭✭✭✭✭

As @Cardinal advised, this is the "normal" way to open the capsule.

Now that the capsule is open, I would simply wrap the "half with the coin" in it in a soft cloth and put it in the freezer overnight. Metal will "shrink" much more than the surrounding plastic (physics in play here - actually coefficients of thermal expansion) and the coin should come out with little effort - or maybe a touch of coaxing.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options

@Cameonut said:
    As @Cardinal advised, this is the "normal" way to open the capsule.

Now that the capsule is open, I would simply wrap the "half with the coin" in it in a soft cloth and put it in the freezer overnight. Metal will "shrink" much more than the surrounding plastic (physics in play here - actually coefficients of thermal expansion) and the coin should come out with little effort - or maybe a touch of coaxing.

Yes, this should work! What I might suggest, since the coin is a DCAM proof, if you have an oversize coin flip or a mylar page protector, put the "half with the coin" into the flip or mylar, and then into the soft cloth. My preference is the mylar page protector, as you can fold it around the coin, to protect it from any inadvertent droplets of moisture that might otherwise come in contract with the proof surfaces.

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

He>I !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,485 ✭✭✭✭✭

If all else fails, put it in a sock and slam it on a wooden table. :o

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file