Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

My coin is stuck in it's plastic airtite holder despite some shaking & pounding. SOS

Comments

• Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

Like someone suggested, try freezing it and see if it helps.

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

That poor coin is gonna die in there. Do something! Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun, MichaelDixon

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lots of ideas here. I wonder how many of you have tried your own advice...and how many times? Perhaps you got lucky one time. :( I tried that "tried-and-true" freezer trick just once. It didn't work for me.

There are several methods to use for each type of capsule. I use a single edge razor or in some cases my fingernail to start the separation of the parts. Then your fingernail finishes the job or you can pry around using the stub end of a nail file after removing the plastic handle. Using a knife to split the case is rather crude - it can easily deface the edges of the capsule where the parts meet. In my experience, the hardest coins to crack are in the sealed capsules of the Bicentennial set.

• Options
    halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭
    edited May 29, 2018 8:10PM

@Insider2 said:
    Lots of ideas here. I wonder how many of you have tried your own advice...and how many times? Perhaps you got lucky one time. :( I tried that "tried-and-true" freezer trick just once. It didn't work for me.

There are several methods to use for each type of capsule. I use a single edge razor or in some cases my fingernail to start the separation of the parts. Then your fingernail finishes the job or you can pry around using the stub end of a nail file after removing the plastic handle. Using a knife to split the case is rather crude - it can easily deface the edges of the capsule where the parts meet. In my experience, the hardest coins to crack are in the sealed capsules of the Bicentennial set.

Never tried freezing a capsule but years ago I bought a large lot of silver dime rolls. Several of the old plastic tubes had shrunk tight around the coins. Freezing freed the coins from these tubes . . .

Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭✭✭

work a couple inches over a towel or washcloth since the proof surfaces can get hairlines. put your thumbs in center of plastic with index and middle fingers on outside edges with prongs near 1:30, 4:30, 7:30, 10:30. Push thumbs in while pulling back on fingers, hopefully causing slight bend and popping out coin.

• Options

@Insider2 said:

If I'm understanding correctly, she has the capsule open but the coin is stuck in the other half. Or maybe I'm misunderstanding you.

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

• Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

@leothelyon said:

Also good for opening beer bottles to drown your sorrows if it doesn't work......
    (But I like the idea!)

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I removed a coin that was stuck in a plastic holder by placing it on a piece of dry ice.... Plastic down... came right out after about five minutes....Cheers, RickO

• Options

I'm just reminded freezing a coin tube of BU Lincolns in the 1970's. They eventually came out with some work and peeling/cutting away the plastic. Moisture got all over the coins as they thawed. :( NOT RECOMMENDED.

I've probably removed 10K + U.S. and Foreign coins from all sorts of capsules. On occasion, one will stick in a half as the OP's did. Except in just a few cases, by holding the case by the edge w/two fingers (over a velvet pad) and pounding your wrist on the desk (one wack at a time starting a foot above the table) the coin will drop out. The sudden change in momentum affects the heavy coin. I think five or six times is all that was needed for the worst cases.

Hey, I just looked, there is a small red spot on my wrist from going thru the motion so I could put the method into words. Perhaps I should suggest a wrist wrap too.

• Options
    carabonnaircarabonnair Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    I removed a coin that was stuck in a plastic holder by placing it on a piece of dry ice.... Plastic down... came right out after about five minutes....Cheers, RickO

I like this idea because carbon dioxide is inert. Liquid nitrogen might effective, too.

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like your proven tip @Insider2 best without adding any other elements to the coin. I think best is to follow @Kkathyl suggestion; letting the seller handle it and return it back to me unmolested :) It is such a beautiful coin and fortunately for me it is my 2nd one <3 so we'll see....

• Options

Will PCGS then "free" the medal from it's original capsule before placing it in their slab?

@cardinal said:
    Hello @Paradisefound,

If you would like to have the coin slabbed by PCGS, go ahead and submit it as is. The capsule it is in is the original Mint capsule, and PCGS does not require you to open them. (I have done this numerous times with these medals, as well as U.S. Silver Eagles, as the capsule protects the coin during transit.)

• Options
    edited May 30, 2018 9:21AM

@Type2 said:
    I'm coming to help...

Nice job. Very revealing. I could use that "thing" for dipping the 5 Oz. bullion coins.

• Options

Giant spatula fits to help elephant birthing.... :#

@Type2 said:
    I'm coming to help...

• Options

<3

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would fear shipping damage if it was sent back to the seller and returned without the capsule. Including hairlines from what ever packing was used.

• Options

@Kudbegud said:
    I would fear shipping damage if it was sent back to the seller and returned without the capsule. Including hairlines from what ever packing was used.

I think most folks would put the capsule together again before shipping. :wink:

• Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

You've got us all fretting. I've GOT to know how this turns out!

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,905 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is what you do and I’m not kidding around either. Take a small hammer and tap the plastics holder on its edge as you rotate it. No don’t hit it hard just tap it as you rotate it and it’ll come out.
    Have fun and be careful.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,400 ✭✭✭✭✭

@crazyhounddog said:
    This is what you do and I’m not kidding around either. Take a small hammer and tap the plastics holder on its edge as you rotate it. No don’t hit it hard just tap it as you rotate it and it’ll come out.
    Have fun and be careful.

I would think the back of a spoon would work as well.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

You ain't got that sombich out yet?

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

Come on, your a smart and tough gal, If you can spear a YFT you can certainly get this one done.

• Options

@ChrisH821 said:

@crazyhounddog said:
    Have fun and be careful.

I would think the back of a spoon would work as well.

I'll need to try that the next time. It will save the wrists.

• Options
    giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hammer :o

VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder how many people here wish they could take a crack at it. Whenever someone has something jammed like this I always have to try and fix it. I just had to order a new vacuum head because I tried to "fix it." I am hoping the wife doesn't notice till the new part comes in. My only luck is that she doesn't touch the vacuum very often ;)

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

4 hemostats, 2 sets of hands. One stat at each "prong". Pull gently, drop coin on soft surface. Careful!

• Options
    gtstanggtstang Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭✭✭

Break up the capsule edges with needle nose pliers

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

This could make a viral YouTube channel. How I Defeated An Air-Tite Capsule In 25 Tries Or Less

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,774 ✭✭✭✭✭

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options

:D

• Options

This thread has become a circus! LOL :D

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,905 ✭✭✭✭✭

A hammer in the right hands will get the job done. I guess a spoon 'll work to.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options

@Smudge said:
    You ain't got that sombich out yet?

:D HAHAHA Post of the day in my book.

• Options

Run over it with this... CAREFULLY!

• Options

o:)

• Options
    TurboSnailTurboSnail Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 30, 2018 1:51PM

Okay I can't resist anymore. Apply vaseline around the rim then pull the coin up with duct tape!

• Options

Set depth charges for 100 meters! Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun, MichaelDixon

• Options
    georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭

Freezer, but no need to overnight. It is a small object, so 10 or 15 minutes should do it.

• Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭

...you will need a pair of hotdog tongs. (I speak from experience)

Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Paradisefound said:
    Will PCGS then "free" the medal from it's original capsule before placing it in their slab?

@cardinal said:
    Hello @Paradisefound,

If you would like to have the coin slabbed by PCGS, go ahead and submit it as is. The capsule it is in is the original Mint capsule, and PCGS does not require you to open them. (I have done this numerous times with these medals, as well as U.S. Silver Eagles, as the capsule protects the coin during transit.)

Yes.

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    edited May 30, 2018 11:06PM

Does he need to be accompanied by an adult flying to HI...BTW "HI" to your son :)

@Type2 said:
    Do you need me to send over my son he is a expert at this been collecting for years.

• Options

Reminds me of the first time I was tricked into chinese handcuffs and before I realized the solution. Peace Roy

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file