Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Here's one you don't see often: 1995-D 1C DDO

ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,341 ✭✭✭✭✭

Testing out the new usb microscope. These are just 640x480 resolution, I think it will go to 1600x1200.
I'll have to take a full coin shot with my actual camera. For now just the areas of interest.
Not a super strong DDO, but not what I'd consider weak either. These are hard to find.

Collector, occasional seller

Comments

• Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've been looking to cherrypick or find one of those in circulation for a LONG time. Thank you for posting!

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unlike the Philly Mint '95 (common as dirt) the Denver version is a real rarity.

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cmerlo1 said:
    I've been looking to cherrypick or find one of those in circulation for a LONG time. Thank you for posting!

I have too.
    0/22+ years.

• Options
    ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mannie gray said:

@cmerlo1 said:

I have too.
    0/22+ years.

+1

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sweet !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tough DDO to find.

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

nice, any idea of rarity?
    or values?

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options

@Treashunt said:
    or values?

It is estimated that less than 100 exist. I'm not sure how that number can be so low given the rate at which cents are cranked out. I guess they could have discovered the die early on and been able to destroy most of what it produced.
    Value? I'm not sure, I paid about $700 for this one several years ago in auction, this one is a small anacs 65RD.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice magnified pictures.... would be easy to miss in pocket change....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,982 ✭✭✭✭✭

This one is very rare, and I'm sure most haven't even heard of the Denver ddo. Very significant doubling.
    How many of you know that there are two 1995 doubles dies from Philadelphia? The second one, while not as big of a spread, displays significant doubling and is many, many times as rare. Probably somewhere along the lines of 500 to 1, die 1 vs die 2.
    And that is significant because we all know that this date has been poured over since USA Today had the discovery on the front page back in the day.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ChrisH821 said:

@Treashunt said:
    or values?

It is estimated that less than 100 exist. I'm not sure how that number can be so low given the rate at which cents are cranked out. I guess they could have discovered the die early on and been able to destroy most of what it produced.
    Value? I'm not sure, I paid about $700 for this one several years ago in auction, this one is a small anacs 65RD.

I REALLY have to start to look.

Many thanks for the reply

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options

@koynekwest said:
    Unlike the Philly Mint '95 (common as dirt) the Denver version is a real rarity.

Where I live, San Francisco and Philly are rarities and Denver is very common :)

• Options
    hyf88hyf88 Posts: 294 ✭✭✭

Great pictures! I found one of these in circulation back in 1997, they are very hard to find for sure.

• Options

@mediatech said:

@koynekwest said:

Where I live, San Francisco and Philly are rarities and Denver is very common :)

I was talking about the relative rarities of the Philly doubled die #1 as compared to the Denver version of the doubled die.

• Options
    mediatechmediatech Posts: 52
    edited May 19, 2018 6:55PM

:)

• Options

:)

• Options

@mediatech what are you suggesting with those pictures?

• Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

Too bad the thread was hi-jacked. I remember all the hoopla in 1995. But we only got D mint coins. I may have saved 2-3 rolls at the time, will need to go look.

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 10, 2018 10:18AM

@ChrisH821 said:

@Treashunt said:
    or values?

The rate is probably low because no one (less than 1K people ?) is looking for them and the spread is too minor to stand out if you are not looking. For the same reason. IMHO, no one at the coin press would have bothered with it either - even if they saw it. That does not mean it is not a good variety for collectors.

• Options

True but it is about the same spread as the 1917 DDO which is quite popular. This variety was(is) so overshadowed by the super common 95-P DDO that many don't even know it exists.

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,823 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 10, 2018 11:16AM

Well done my man B)

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

Let's see how many 95-D DDO some one else finds. Nice coin good eye and a nice one.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    GaCoinGuyGaCoinGuy Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭✭

What kind of scope/camera did you use for these photos?

imageimage

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Type2 said:
    Let's see how many 95-D DDO some one else finds. Nice coin good eye and a nice one.

They are very rare.

• Options

@GaCoinGuy said:

A cheapo USB microscope that has built in LED lights,.. or do they all have that? These pictures were taken at pretty much the minimum magnification it is capable of, it can go to some crazy amount but pretty much useless at those levels and becomes a huge PITA to get decent focus. I'll see if I can find a model number on it when I get home.

• Options
    AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not many scopes use incandescent, fluorescent or sunlight anymore.

• Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,711 ✭✭✭✭✭

Much scarcer cent than most realize. What you paid a while back is Still a good price.

WS

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    CRH4LIFECRH4LIFE Posts: 849 ✭✭✭✭

In great shape to!

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

It blows my mind that that is worth that much.

• Options

@ChrisH821 said:

@GaCoinGuy said:

A cheapo USB microscope that has built in LED lights,.. or do they all have that? These pictures were taken at pretty much the minimum magnification it is capable of, it can go to some crazy amount but pretty much useless at those levels and becomes a huge PITA to get decent focus. I'll see if I can find a model number on it when I get home.

Thanks, I appreciate that. The old eyes aren't what they used to be and the loupes just don't work as well as they used to. Need something for examining coins.

imageimage

• Options

@GaCoinGuy said:

@ChrisH821 said:

@GaCoinGuy said:

Thanks, I appreciate that. The old eyes aren't what they used to be and the loupes just don't work as well as they used to. Need something for examining coins.

I took a look and the microscope it has no markings on it.. I'd wager that most or all of the cheap USB microscopes come from the same supplier.

• Options

@GaCoinGuy said:

@ChrisH821 said:

@GaCoinGuy said:

Having searched rolls for many years, I can tell you that a strong loupe works a lot better than a microscope. At least for me. I find sliding the coin under a microscope to bring rather cumbersome, especially when you are looking at many coins. Remember, you'll probably only find 1 or 2 worth keeping in a $25 box of cents .

Invest in an Eschenbach Achromat 20x. They are expensive, but your eyes are worth it. It is a decent size folding pocket loupe of the highest quality and strong enough to find even the most minor of varieties.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• Options

@DCW said:

@GaCoinGuy said:

@ChrisH821 said:

@GaCoinGuy said:

Having searched rolls for many years, I can tell you that a strong loupe works a lot better than a microscope. At least for me. I find sliding the coin under a microscope to bring rather cumbersome, especially when you are looking at many coins. Remember, you'll probably only find 1 or 2 worth keeping in a $25 box of cents .

Invest in an Eschenbach Achromat 20x. They are expensive, but your eyes are worth it. It is a decent size folding pocket loupe of the highest quality and strong enough to find even the most minor of varieties.

How is the focal length on that one? I have a 20x of another brand and it is all but useless since it has to be practically touching the object. This would be OK for gems but is totally unacceptable for coins.

• Options

@ChrisH821 said:

@DCW said:

@GaCoinGuy said:

@ChrisH821 said:

@GaCoinGuy said:

How is the focal length on that one? I have a 20x of another brand and it is all but useless since it has to be practically touching the object. This would be OK for gems but is totally unacceptable for coins.

Well, I wouldnt have suggested this if it was totally unacceptable for coins.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• Options

@DCW said:

@ChrisH821 said:

@DCW said:

@GaCoinGuy said:

@ChrisH821 said:

@GaCoinGuy said:

Well, I wouldnt have suggested this if it was totally unacceptable for coins.

I'll have to look into that one. Mine is a Belomo, their 10X is good but the 20X not so much. About how far do you have to hold the coin from the lens? That's what I was asking, not suggesting that you recommended a useless loupe.

• Options

I have several loupes....a 3x, 4x, 15x and 20x. Just gets hard to focus, I would be doing a few coins at a time, not doing any roll searching right now.

imageimage

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

nice ddo

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool!

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tough to find.... congrats on the grade! :)

• Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,711 ✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent!

WS

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    duck620duck620 Posts: 949 ✭✭✭

FOUND THIS ONE ABOUT 1YR AGO FROM A BANK BOX.GOING TO PCGS SOMETIME IN APRIL...KEN

• Options

@duck620 said:
    FOUND THIS ONE ABOUT 1YR AGO FROM A BANK BOX.GOING TO PCGS SOMETIME IN APRIL...KEN

Excellent find!! A very tough to find variety!

• Options

Extremely rare and nice. For 1c? Awesome!

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• Options
    smalltimesmalltime Posts: 171 ✭✭✭

ChrisH8, Looks like machine doubling to me cause the lows look flat like ledges and I don't see the serifs on the letters double. but what do I know.

• Options

Nice find! As you probably know, it's a real toughie.

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

@smalltime said:
    ChrisH8, Looks like machine doubling to me cause the lows look flat like ledges and I don't see the serifs on the letters double. but what do I know.

Notice the notching on the ends of the U,S, and T? big tip off for true doubling.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file