Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How will error collectors describe off-center positions when people can only read digital clocks?

RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hmmmm ?

Comments

• Options
    drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭✭✭

Compass headings?

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 5, 2018 3:34PM

The classic clock face will always be around on peoples wall as moving art.

My wife has 4 or 5 clocks all electric but none digital on the wall.

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭✭

@drwstr123 said:
    Compass headings?

"It's got a die crack from 281 to 117."

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

:D

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 15,066 ✭✭✭✭✭

Left, right, up, down.

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,501 ✭✭✭✭✭

In my old house that was built in 1933 there were still a couple of hard wired rotary dial wall phones that my kids absolutely had no idea how to use. The nice thing with those is that when the power went out they kept on working.

I'm not sure if they even teach kids in the USA how to read dial clocks now.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 5, 2018 5:10PM

@Cameonut said:
    I just saw a piece on carp main stream media where kids could not read the cursive writing of their grandparents when they get birthday cards etc. . It was all about becoming a pen pal and that schools were not teaching cursive writing anymore.

My how this country has gone downhill in 50 years. We had better volunteer to "decode" RogerB's mint records before us "old timers that don't know anything" die off.

It the last 50 years the internet, personal computers, GPS, MRI’s, robotics, electric cars etc have been invented. With progress some things fall by the wayside. With all the other challenges we have in America cursive writing ain’t one of them. Reading dial clocks ain’t one of them. All in all this is still a great place to be.

I’m positive that when fountain pens were replaced with ball point pens people were bitching and moaning

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    Rich49Rich49 Posts: 190 ✭✭✭
    edited May 5, 2018 5:34PM

They don't teach cursive writing anymore in school so they can't sign a legal document with a distictive sig only print. "Make your mark here "Look at Steve Mnuchin sig on the new currency http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/mnuchin-signature-1-bills-registers-odd-bronx-pol-article-1.3637521. Can't read an Anolog clock dial? Sheeesh !

photo index.gif

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,791 ✭✭✭✭✭

So it seems the guy whose name begins with K that escapes me at the moment was prescient in predicting the downfall of the clock face when he effective named it after himself so that there'd always be a way to describe it without ever knowing about an actual clock face.

• Options
    scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭✭✭

People still use "horse power". I think we'll be ok with the clock thing.

As for cursive, it's obsolete technology. Good riddance. Even as a student in school, it was obvious that learning cursive was a waste of time.
    "Here's a way to write. "
    "Got it?, Ok here's a curly way to write"
    "Why? Well, it's faster...ok not really, but if you don't learn it, message board people will grouse"

• Options
    air4mdcair4mdc Posts: 838 ✭✭✭✭

Aviators and ATC always use and always will use the face of a clock to describe traffic.......Same with ACMX using the face of the clock to describe the engine. I don’t ever see that going away either. If the face of the clock was never invented how would they describe these actions and accounts?

• Options
    gonzergonzer Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

@messydesk said:
    So it seems the guy whose name begins with K that escapes me at the moment was prescient in predicting the downfall of the clock face when he effective named it after himself so that there'd always be a way to describe it without ever knowing about an actual clock face.

Kolit

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember the hue and cry when fountain pens replaced the quill.... "What will become of all these feathers?" And when calculators replaced the slide rule... "What will you do when your battery dies?".... Yeah.. well time (digitally) marches on..... :D;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,791 ✭✭✭✭✭

@gonzer said:

@messydesk said:

Kolit

Right. Thank you.

• Options
    StrikeOutXXXStrikeOutXXX Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:
    Left, right, up, down.

LOL, Knowing my kids, it will all relate to a video game controller. R1, R2, Z, Square, Triangle, etc.

------------------------------------------------------------

"You Suck Award" - February, 2015

Discoverer of 1919 Mercury Dime DDO - FS-101
  • Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

My 3rd year medical student son struggles with clock faces that aren’t digital. I enjoy asking him what time it is when his cell phone is not nearby and he then has to look at a regular wall clock at my home to answer the question. It is amusing!

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    NewEnglandNotesNewEnglandNotes Posts: 261 ✭✭✭

Try to find someone under the age of 30 who knows how to read a map.

• Options
    MrHalfDimeMrHalfDime Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭✭

@messydesk said:

The name that escapes you is KOLIT, and his numbers describing positions on a clock face are Kolit numbers.

They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,845 ✭✭✭✭✭

Five someone under 30 a Thomas Guide map book of a city and ask him or her to find 3028 West Lunada Lane.

If he or she says there is no need to do so because the location of the property in question can be found his a smart phone or other electronic device, ask what would he or she do if they had no access to any electronic device, or the grid goes down.

• Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 6, 2018 10:26AM

I am sure the hieroglyphics from some 4000 year old Mesopotamian sun-dial hold an answer to this quandary that a contemporaneous yak herder in Mongolia would understand as easily as we "moderns" do now. >:) .

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 6, 2018 10:30AM

"#top-left-mid #pvc #acetone #don't-wipe #pat-dry"

• Options
    Rich49Rich49 Posts: 190 ✭✭✭

Red Leader to Fighter Pilot Bandits @ 2 O'Clock ! Huh ?

photo index.gif

• Options

RE: "...always use and always will use..."

Prior to about 1825 the U.S. Mint "...always used and always will use..." fractions. oops---then decimals took over. :)

• Options
    edited May 6, 2018 11:20AM

RE: "Kolit numbers."

If a Kolit number is missing is it called "Kolit interrupt it?" ;)

• Options
    OnTheHuntOnTheHunt Posts: 200 ✭✭✭

My last physical exam I had to draw the hands on a clock corresponding to a certain time. It's so seldom I look at analog time any longer that I had to cheat and look at the clock on the wall to recall how.

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's easy...
    Mickey's hand is over his head.
    Mickey's hand is to the right and above his shoulders
    .. to the right, shoulder height
    ... to the right by his knees

etc.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

In the future there will be NO ERROR's..............NONE ;)

Steve

Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    giantsfan20giantsfan20 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭✭

Your right the mint is now serious about stopping their release .

• Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

How will error collectors describe off-center positions when people can only read digital clocks?

Great question.

A friend was recently showing me his newly acquired previously owned Mercedes Benz SEL of recent manufacture. When i glanced inside it I noticed it had an analog clock which brought to mind a prior visit a decade or so ago to the Mercedes factory in Stuttgart (Sindlelfingen to be more precise), Germany. Mercedes had just introduced its newest version of the SEL and one of its unique features was the inclusion of an analog clock. At the time only a few luxury cars had one including Rolls Royce and Mercedes' own ultra luxury line, Maybach.

What I didn't know, until my friend informed me, was that to set the analog clock it is all done digitally and the hands simply comply with the digital commands when all the settings are complete and one presses the final input.

So I guess there is hope that clocks with hour hands may yet survive in this digital world of ours, even if they are in reality digital clocks. Actually for those of you with Apple watches, don't you have an option of having your digital time piece display hour and minute hands on a digital screen?

• Options
    mustangmanbobmustangmanbob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

grumpalumpagous : a grouchy, discontented, ill tempered person, particularly someone who chooses to be unhappy

Things that don't work well go obsolete. Cursive Writing was spawned 12 levels down in Hell. Nothing like being left handed with a fountain pen and trying to learn all those curves backwards and smearing ink, with the left little finger and edge of the palm continuously blue and black.

Our clocks are a classic case of stupid. How many people have been seriously inconvenienced, left behind, even died because we have 2 times per day, (3 o'clock) What the heck is AM and PM (Quick, there is a test, don't cheat and look it up, full correct latin names) What the heck is O'Clock mean? At least the military and Europe uses 1700 hours, etc. to solve that problem.

There was a digital time system proposed, but people are too stupid to learn it, that had 10 hours per day, 100 minutes per hour, and 100 seconds per minute. In this system, a decimal second is almost exactly the same as the current knuckle dragging system second.

HOw many seconds have elapsed between 2:41 and 1:18 ? Most people do not do well counting in a 60 number system. Oh, which is AM and which is PM or both?

Scrap the whole ounces grains pounds miles etc. system for metric. The cost to the United States is staggering of not converting.

To the map people with your Rand McNally's, trying to follow a map riding a Motorcycle. How about using a map at night in the pouring rain? In the Army, I was an Airborne Ranger, and without boasting, I was one of the best with maps, dead reckoning, navigation by sun and stars, etc. I led patrols downrange into bad guy country, and I cannot even guess how many Americans died because they got lost (could not accurately read the map, lost the map, etc.) and plowed into mine fields, wound up where the artillery had targeted, etc. ). Sadly, one of the ambushes I set up was executed on friendlies who were lost and wandered into the kill zone at night. It took too long to determine that there were no AK-47 sounds, just M16's, M60's etc. going off, to get a cease fire.

Mars Probe Lost Due to Simple Math Error. NASA lost its $125-million Mars Climate Orbiter because spacecraft engineers failed to convert from English to metric measurements when exchanging vital data before the craft was launched, space agency officials said Thursday. ... In a sense, the spacecraft was lost in translation.

I will take digital clocks, GPS, metric system, etc. any day.

Americans with the English Money:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aMnxQjDGDU

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 15,066 ✭✭✭✭✭

That qualifies as a "rant".

Maybe sometimes correct, always though-provoking, but a rant nonetheless. ;)

• Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:
    That qualifies as a "rant".

Maybe sometimes correct, always though-provoking, but a rant nonetheless. ;)

Educational none the less. On point I recall having set the DVR to record the season opening episode of Hawaii Five-0 two years ago only to return home to watch it finding that I had set the DVR for 8 AM, not 8PM.

• Options

Most of the world (and our government) use a 24-hr clock and metric.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

I read an article recently about how in England the schools are going to use digital clocks because the kiddies figure out how to read a regular clock.

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

North, North half pass, East, East half pass, South, South half pass, West, West half pass done.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options

@Type2 said:
    North, North half pass, East, East half pass, South, South half pass, West, West half pass done.

What about the southern hemisphere....? Roos got coins, too.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file