Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Making Sense of British Coin Prices

I was a little baffled, but I might have figured it out. I'm interested in the pre-1920's British coins. I've been following the cost of Florins and Shillings fairly closely. The other day, I happened to look at the prices for sixpences and found they were more expensive than the Shillings...despite the fact that they are smaller. So I looked up the mintages of them, and figured out that they are definitely rarer, so perhaps they really should cost more.

That made me wonder about the next step down, so I looked up the fourpences ("groats"). While those seem much rarer than the sixpences across the board, they (groats) didn't seem to be as expensive as the sixpences. That's puzzling.

My thought is that the fourpences might be a little too small to captivate the collector's interest, but the sixpences are not. That seem right to you? I would have thought that even the sixpences were too small to generate heavy collector interest, but apparently not.

Anyone care to share their viewpoint on what moves the British coin prices?

Really enjoying collecting coins and currency again

My currency "Box of Ten" Thread: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1045579/my-likely-slow-to-develop-box-of-ten#latest

Comments

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fourpence were always an oddball silver denomination, not so much in common usage. Sixpence and shillings were the workhorse small silver coins of daily commerce.

You probably should focus on usage, not mintage. The larger issues of sixpence and shillings reflect the greater demand/usage.

Florins were also a fairly late addition to the British coin line-up. Some ivory-tower thinkers saw florins as a step towards decimalization (florins being one-tenth of a pound). Half-crowns were probably actually used more.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

Focus on the surviving population in various states of preservation. Collect the reigning Monarch and denomination that you like. Popularity drives prices as well. The standing Britannia design on the Edward VII florins are attractive as are the Victorian gothic florins. Pricing British coins is just different than what is seen in the US market. While condition rarity is important in the UK, the valuations between grades seem on average more reasonable than comparable US coins.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    stevereecystevereecy Posts: 203 ✭✭✭
    edited April 25, 2018 7:10AM

Thanks! These answers make perfect sense to me. So the less used coins are also less collected...similar to the 2 cent piece in U.S. coinage. While the 2 cent piece is a neat coin, it just wasn't used enough to be a popular target for collectors. I can wrap my brain around that.

I completely agree about the Edward and Gothic Florins. Both are beautiful coins that I intend to snap up whenever I find a bargain. The condition rare pricing aspect is interesting. I'll have to research that further. I have seen a lot of Victorian age coins graded MS64 that close to "top pop" coins too, which I find interesting. Makes me wonder if some of the rarified grades seen in the U.S. coin market are as prevalent in the British coin market.

Really enjoying collecting coins and currency again

My currency "Box of Ten" Thread: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1045579/my-likely-slow-to-develop-box-of-ten#latest
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fascinating series, to be sure. I love these coins, and only regret that top pieces in rarity and preservation are climbing - see the proof Victoria 1837 groat just sold last year. I think 8k USD.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    ncc74656ncc74656 Posts: 22 ✭✭

Doc: "Marty! I didn't invent the time machine for financial gain. The intent here is to gain a clear perception of humanity. Where we've been, where we're going. The pitfalls and the possibilities. The perils and the promise. Perhaps even an answer to that universal question, why?"
  • Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ncc74656 I like your 1929, 1677 and 1893 Half crowns very much. Very nice examples. Being base silver, the 1929 might be the most difficult to acquire with that nice color!

When in England I have gone out of my way to see places connected with Charles II, and when in France I have gone out of my way to see places connected with his brother, James II. As you said, it's all about history and it's all about appreciating old coins as historical artifacts.

• Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ncc74656,

Nice coins, and welcome!

To your question about cracking a coin out of its US TPG slab, you need to understand that an NGC or PCGS slab offers two financial aspects: a store of value, and liquidity. Yes, there are many common scenarios where these two aspects do not seem much greater than what you get from a raw coin.

Some examples:

You buy a raw George III 1/2Cr graded “GEF” by a reputable British dealer. In the US market, we’d have no way of knowing if that coin is equivalent to a 62 or 64 where the price difference can be substantial. In that case, the slab adds value.

You buy a nice Charles II 1/2Cr graded “GVF” by the British, with a likely US grade of EF45. In that case, the slab adds liquidity to Americans but not really any additional price.

I have cracked out my coins from their slabs, but only if IMO the slab adds no benefit on price or in some cases negative value (this can happen if a coin looks solidly undergraded in its slab).

HTH,

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice little summary there Dimitri, and I couldn't agree more. Not too many of us can compete with the Tyrant checkbook, but can still have wonderful collections. A bit of experience and planning always a good thing....

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    ElmhurstElmhurst Posts: 777 ✭✭✭

There are lots of high end British coins available at a fraction of the cost of their US equivalents. Checkout Atlas Numismatics for their British coins. I'm not promoting them, but just to give you an idea of what is on the market.

• Options

EVillageThank you very much for your thoughts on slabs. Incredible coins!

Thank you for your thoughts Dimitri.

Doc: "Marty! I didn't invent the time machine for financial gain. The intent here is to gain a clear perception of humanity. Where we've been, where we're going. The pitfalls and the possibilities. The perils and the promise. Perhaps even an answer to that universal question, why?"
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great coins in this thread!
    I buy British coins that cross my path if I like them. I’m more of a type collector I suppose.
    This is a recent purchase:

And this is one of my all time favorites:

(Sorry, I don’t have a reverse picture on my phone for some reason)

• Options

Great coins Asheland!

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭

Nice coins, everyone. They sure bring back good memories.

I don't come here often anymore, but saw this thread and Syracusian's post and had to add on, and amend some of his comments slightly.

I did dislike slabs, and in many ways, I still do. However, I saw people coming into stores bringing nice pieces from their deceased relatives' collections, and getting chump change for them. Heck, I brought in a bunch of US coins my mother-in-law sent us, and this nameless store in MN offered me $500 for the trunk load - that was face value!! I flipped them the proverbial bird and sold them for much, much more on ebay, but it was a long, painful process. Upon experiencing these events and due to other factors I won't bore you with, I did slab my better pieces so that my wife or daughter could sell them for a proper collector price in case I kicked the bucket too soon. The registry was a nice diversion as well.

Why did I recently sell? Two reasons: (1) my daughter went to college, and you know what that entails (PS she just graduated). (2) my eyes have gotten worse and I can't see the %$&* dates on the 3ds and 6ds anymore without a magnifying glass, which took the fun out of it for me. The farthing and halfpenny dates I can still see, so I continue to collect them. I also like the relative rarities of halfpennies, especially the older ones, because they circulated so heavily and no one really cared about setting them aside so much.

Values? Rarity, condition and demand. Same-condition shillings are definitely more expensive than same-dated sixpences in most years, except where the sixpence date has greater rarity (1854 and 1862, for example). Every Jubilee Head, Veiled Head or Edward VII date shilling is worth more than its direct 6d counterpart except 1887. In George V pre-1920, only 1917 has a more valuable 6d because it is comparatively scarce and WWI shillings are quite common. So, I'm not really getting the OP's comment about that. Also, shillings are generally more popular with collectors, which helps keep prices up.

Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice posts everyone and those were some great looking coins EVP!

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.