Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Now that's the kind of low-ball I can appreciate...

carabonnaircarabonnair Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭✭✭

and in my price range at the moment. :smile:

Link to auction
But since it is unique, I don't suppose it will remain a bargain

Comments

• Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,246 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rolled or train track victim?

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,619 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not even round and it straight graded??? How?

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,608 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like one of those Chinese Saints to me. How could they even accurately identify authenticity?

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting !!! :*

Timbuk3
  • Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

imagine working for over 2 weeks, than getting paid with a coin that looks like this

• Options
    COINS MAKE CENTSCOINS MAKE CENTS Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks just like a coin ran over by a train to me!

New inventory added daily at Coins Make Cents
    HAPPY COLLECTING

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's the TrueView.

Not only is it a PO-01, it's also a POP 1/0!

• Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is crazy cool!

http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TommyType said:
    Ok....this might be picky. But I find it hard to believe a coin that far our of round is still worthy of a straight grade....even at PO-01.

(I feel silly saying that. LOL)

From the listing:

A dies trial from the regular-issue Saint-Gaudens No Motto double eagle dies. Struck in brass with a lettered edge. This piece was passed through rollers after striking, flattening both sides and producing the distinct oval shape. Although now virtually without any relief, except for the edges, which are sharp, the design elements remain mostly visible. The Poor 1 assessment is somewhat arbitrary; the piece is as-made and never circulated, not to mention it is unique. A highly important offering for pattern collectors and Saint-Gaudens enthusiasts.

• Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 24, 2018 10:27PM

Double post

• Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting thread...honestly I was hoping maybe this thread would be about a fine whiskey/whisky...although I no longer endulge, I have never collected low-balls at all...on the new Netflix Ricky Gervais, he does a funny bit about low-balls...he doesn’t mention coins however ;)

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hmmmmmm.... now that's different!!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The identification/description provided by @hchcoin certainly adds a dimension of understanding. Initially viewing it in the OP raised several questions... Not something I would want, but interesting nonetheless. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 25, 2018 9:07AM

@hchcoin said:

@TommyType said:
    Ok....this might be picky. But I find it hard to believe a coin that far our of round is still worthy of a straight grade....even at PO-01.

From the listing:

A dies trial from the regular-issue Saint-Gaudens No Motto double eagle dies. Struck in brass with a lettered edge. This piece was passed through rollers after striking, flattening both sides and producing the distinct oval shape. Although now virtually without any relief, except for the edges, which are sharp, the design elements remain mostly visible. The Poor 1 assessment is somewhat arbitrary; the piece is as-made and never circulated, not to mention it is unique. A highly important offering for pattern collectors and Saint-Gaudens enthusiasts.

Well, that makes much more sense, (and I should have followed the auction link). I withdraw my objection, and suggest MS-65 as the proper grade. ;)

(In reality, it just points out how UNIMPORTANT grading sometimes is, despite how much we stress over it!)

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ColonelJessup...The Grolsch would be half consumed prior to viewing the item.... :D;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 25, 2018 10:28AM

@ricko...
    @MrEureka would likely respond in exactly that way. His (sublime) reasoning: the coin would stay cool but the beer would get warm. :*B)

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

@hchcoin said:

@TommyType said:

From the listing:

The cataloger was being generous. The grade is not "arbitrary", it's wrong. Should have been graded 60 or, even better, not given a grade at all. I would just call it "Genuine" and leave it at that.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    @ColonelJessup...The Grolsch would be half consumed prior to viewing the item.... :D;) Cheers, RickO

Better yet, consume the whole six pack. Then you and the coin would both be smashed.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 25, 2018 8:35PM

That is one bizarre TrueView and one amazing coin.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 25, 2018 8:39PM

@MrEureka said:
    The cataloger was being generous. The grade is not "arbitrary", it's wrong. Should have been graded 60 or, even better, not given a grade at all. I would just call it "Genuine" and leave it at that.

Now-a-days, "Genuine" is a dirty word. It's like telling you your blind date "has a great personality". It's a compliment....but, not really. :)

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    carabonnaircarabonnair Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭✭✭

Update - it just sold for $10,800 including the 20% buyer's fee.

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's freaking oblong. Major damage and wear. Difficult to look at and would never pay such a premium for it.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,785 ✭✭✭✭✭

No wear outside of the mint. It was rolled flat by the mint. As for grade, while meaningless, I don't agree with it. Full detail, bad luster, lousy eye appeal, only one big, fat mark on each side (OK, the mark is the size of the coin). MS60.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file