Home U.S. Coin Forum

The New Doily Census - 2016

Comments

• DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,800 ✭✭✭✭✭

New addition as of 10/14/17 . . . .

Iowa Commem . . . . MS65 . . . . 7345533. Picked it up here locally in SLC after it was brought down from Portland, OR by a dealer.

Nice holder . . . nice coin. Typical Iowa . . . higher grade than the slab, but no biggy. Maybe to CAC just for fun, but it is irrelevant.

First Iowa in the Census . . .

Drunner

• WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you guys hadn't seen it yet: I think it's the only maine in a doily?

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • ashelandasheland Posts: 22,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • 3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

...just got this one for a fair price ;)

• ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for this thread, can't wait to own one!
    Someday...

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,290 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice pick-ups, folks! :+1:

Will update the census on Page 1 at the end of the month.

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for this thread, can't wait to own one!
    Someday...

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • Sandman70gtSandman70gt Posts: 979 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bst transactions with: dimeman, oih82w8, mercurydimeguy, dunerlaw, Lakesammman, 2ltdjorn, MattTheRiley, dpvilla, drddm, CommemKing, Relaxn, Yorkshireman, Cucamongacoin, jtlee321, greencopper, coin22lover, coinfolio, lindedad, spummybum, Leeroybrown, flackthat, BryceM, Surfinxhi, VanHalen, astrorat, robkool, Wingsrule, PennyGuy, al410, Ilikecolor, Southcounty, Namvet69, Commemdude, oreville, Leebone

Updated the spreadsheet on Page 1 during the slow moments in the World Series.

Thanks for all the updates! :+1:

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.

Thanks . . . . . not too many slow moments . . . . . Houston looking good through 7 . . .

Drunner

edited November 14, 2017 10:05AM

This is a tougher type coin - went for $1040 at Great Collections. There were 2 $2.5's, MS60 and MS61 that went for a small premium.

I wanted it but not at that level.........congrats to the new owner!

edited November 27, 2017 6:01PM

2 more tough type coins sold at GC.

And a nice buff with gold cac

Bst transactions with: dimeman, oih82w8, mercurydimeguy, dunerlaw, Lakesammman, 2ltdjorn, MattTheRiley, dpvilla, drddm, CommemKing, Relaxn, Yorkshireman, Cucamongacoin, jtlee321, greencopper, coin22lover, coinfolio, lindedad, spummybum, Leeroybrown, flackthat, BryceM, Surfinxhi, VanHalen, astrorat, robkool, Wingsrule, PennyGuy, al410, Ilikecolor, Southcounty, Namvet69, Commemdude, oreville, Leebone

I was sweating that buff last night - had high bid for a while but was praying to be outbid as I have several buffs already - congrats to the new owners of all of them! :+1:

Love that Shield . . . . . . . .

Drunner

• ExcaliberExcaliber Posts: 98 ✭✭✭

This one sold Buy it now. I did not see it on the list.

Nice looking Walker - thanks for posting it. Sometimes the BIN's sneak by me.

Will post the updated spreadsheet at the end of the month.

Updated as of 1-2-18. Will work on aligning the totals when I get a chance. :D

• LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

doily ebay

one can check this link from time to time to see the most newly ended ones.

to be sure, here is the active "doily" search term link.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

doily ebay

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,801 ✭✭✭✭✭

All beautiful pieces!

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LanceNewmanOCC said:
    doily ebay

I checked the sold listings. I hate seeing one I owned previously where the coin is a dog, not CAC worthy and goes for a crazy price on eBay. I get that some will always go high, but this one seemed real high and just a yuck coin.

I listed a saint on the BST today that can be added to the census.

http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook

Added - nice looking coin! :+1:

Will try and post the latest spreadsheet this weekend.

Updated as of 3-2-18, currently up to 919 Doilies!

• jtlee321jtlee321 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 26, 2018 11:36AM

Here's a new one I picked up on eBay. It's not listed in the census yet.

• ilikemonstersilikemonsters Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭

@Lakesammman said:
    Then it's a Doily with the outer ring missing, either intentionally or accidentally, like this one.

Sometimes the outer ring breaks. It can be replaced. A buddy of mine is a part time grader and bought one of these without the outer ring. He had one laying around so now the slab is fixed.

@ilikemonsters said:

@Lakesammman said:
    Then it's a Doily with the outer ring missing, either intentionally or accidentally, like this one.

Sometimes the outer ring breaks. It can be replaced. A buddy of mine is a part time grader and bought one of these without the outer ring. He had one laying around so now the slab is fixed.

That would be great if the outer rings could be replaced. I've seen so many with damaged outer rings. The last Doily I owned was an 1896 toned Morgan. But the outer ring broken and it really bothered me, so I had to sell it.

Added - thanks.

I've had an outer ring fall off after minor trauma - wish more would do that so that some Doilies could be fixed!

Some nice new Type here !

On your Doily rings . . . . there were certainly some bourse-floor-drops. But, apocrypha would also indicate some of the Doilies lost their rings intentionally so that the holders would fit into the original Rattler boxes. In any event . . . . .

If you need some advice on ring-replacement . . .send me a PM. There is a standard method of ring replacement that is ethically sound and not too tough to accomplish. I have never really worried about buying a Doily without a ring as some have . . . . . I am a lot more concerned about the interior portion. But . .sometimes I find those who are really freaked out about a crack or missing ring . . .and discount heavily. Those are some I target for purchase . . . .

Drunner

• thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just picked up 5 silver commems in doilies:
    ELGIN, MS64, 8183204
    GETTYSBURG, MS64, 8183205
    MARYLAND, MS64, 8183210
    WISCONSIN, MS64, 8183206
    YORK, MS65, 8183208

Also got a DELAWARE in a rattler, MS63, 8016381

thefinn

@thefinn said:
    I just picked up 5 silver commems in doilies:
    ELGIN, MS64, 8183204
    GETTYSBURG, MS64, 8183205
    MARYLAND, MS64, 8183210
    WISCONSIN, MS64, 8183206
    YORK, MS65, 8183208

Also got a DELAWARE in a rattler, MS63, 8016381

Any pics? :)

Here they are. Just quickies with my phone in sunlight. Definitely PQ coins worthy of green or gold beans. Got them all for less than 10% below GS bid.

thefinn

Nice haul! B)
    Welcome to the boards

Wow - those are some tough commem doilies - congrats!

• BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DRUNNER said:
    Some nice new Type here !

On your Doily rings . . . . there were certainly some bourse-floor-drops. But, apocrypha would also indicate some of the Doilies lost their rings intentionally so that the holders would fit into the original Rattler boxes. In any event . . . . .

If you need some advice on ring-replacement . . .send me a PM. There is a standard method of ring replacement that is ethically sound and not too tough to accomplish. I have never really worried about buying a Doily without a ring as some have . . . . . I am a lot more concerned about the interior portion. But . .sometimes I find those who are really freaked out about a crack or missing ring . . .and discount heavily. Those are some I target for purchase . . . .

Drunner

You mean use the rings from the 2.0 holders? Never had any luck doing that.

As a follow up, they all had their rings. I need to go back and see if they have any more hiding in plain sight. Obviously it was an older collection that was sold. I may have missed out on some.

thefinn

So we can ascertain that there were at least 3 Wisconsins, 2 of which can be verified. 8183207 [whereabouts unknown] was graded ms64.

@BAJJERFAN said:
    So we can ascertain that there were at least 3 Wisconsins, 2 of which can be verified. 8183207 [whereabouts unknown] was graded ms64.

It may have been purchased before I saw them. I will ask the seller if he had more.

thefinn
    edited April 23, 2018 3:17PM

I am hoping that this question has been answered previously. It looks like there are two types of Doilies - one with the green "gears", and one with the green gears with white "PCGS" lettering over the background in places. Are these two different varieties, or considered the same? It looks like the solid pattern (with earlier serial numbers) is scarcer than the ones with white PCGS overlays (later serial numbers).
    Now that I look at more images, it looks like they all have the PCGS overlay, it just isn't as prominent on some images.

thefinn

@thefinn said:
    I am hoping that this question has been answered previously. It looks like there are two types of Doilies - one with the green "gears", and one with the green gears with white "PCGS" lettering over the background in places. Are these two different varieties, or considered the same? It looks like the solid pattern (with earlier serial numbers) is scarcer than the ones with white PCGS overlays (later serial numbers).
    Now that I look at more images, it looks like they all have the PCGS overlay, it just isn't as prominent on some images.

There is a "retro" doily from a few years back that was granted to one submitter IIRC.> @thefinn said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

It may have been purchased before I saw them. I will ask the seller if he had more.

You can got to the cert number lookup utility and enter numbers similar to the ones you have so 8183207 is also a Wisconsin ms64. I have 1 and you have 1 which makes 2 known and verified. Until 8183207 is seen in hand it just potentially exists.

@BAJJERFAN said:

@thefinn said:

There is a "retro" doily from a few years back that was granted to one submitter IIRC.> @thefinn said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

You can got to the cert number lookup utility and enter numbers similar to the ones you have so 8183207 is also a Wisconsin ms64. I have 1 and you have 1 which makes 2 known and verified. Until 8183207 is seen in hand it just potentially exists.

So only three Wisconsins were initially certified with the doily tag, but one may have been cracked for potential upgrade, or has just not yet been entered into the census.

thefinn

@thefinn said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

@thefinn said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

So only three Wisconsins were initially certified with the doily tag, but one may have been cracked for potential upgrade, or has just not yet been entered into the census.

We know at least 3 were in a doily holder, but there could well be more from other submissions. Until we see them in hand like yours and mine we can't confirm they they still exist as doilies. If you check different cert numbers on either side of 8188721 you can figure that there was just the 1 Wisconsin in that submission just as there were probably just the 2 in the submission that produced your specimen.

• REALGATORREALGATOR Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭✭✭

I didn't see this one on the list:

@BAJJERFAN said:

@thefinn said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

@thefinn said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

We know at least 3 were in a doily holder, but there could well be more from other submissions. Until we see them in hand like yours and mine we can't confirm they they still exist as doilies. If you check different cert numbers on either side of 8188721 you can figure that there was just the 1 Wisconsin in that submission just as there were probably just the 2 in the submission that produced your specimen.

Thanks. It is a fun mystery. I did see there were two commems graded in the bunch - a second Wisc as you mentioned, and a Pilgriim. I will ask about them from the dealer.

thefinn

Added the 41-S Walker tonight - thanks.

@Lakesammman said:
    Added the 41-S Walker tonight - thanks.

Very frosty!

thefinn

Just picked up another Doily commem to add to the census: 1936 Bridgeport, MS64 green CAC, SN 8187778.

thefinn

:+1:

I found the missing Wisconsin, 8183207, along with a pic of the Bridgeport 8187778.

thefinn
  • Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 29, 2018 9:20AM

I just found an 1880-S Morgan graded MS-61 PL in my teaching set. Cert#7119 61/3122149.

Edit: There must be several thousands of these waiting to come out of the collections of non-forum members.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file