Home Metal Detecting

I’m getting back into MDing!

kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s been too long— my White’s Dualfield is a great PI detector for beaches but lack of any real discrimination was driving me crazy. It made relic hunting and coinshooting very difficult.

I ended up ordering a Garrett AT Max and I’ll take my first trip with that on Saturday. I can’t wait! Let’s see what the Santa Cruz mountains has to offer.

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.

Comments

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds like fun... I agree, the PI is great on beaches.... are you going to be detecting old homesteads or mines? Cheers, RickO

• kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 13, 2018 1:07PM

There’s a hiking trail that runs along an old timber road that was active from the late 1870s to about 1910. I definitely want to hit that old route, as well as the shallow or fresh water spots along the San Lorenzo river. That’s the only place I’ve ever found gold other than natural nuggets by panning. ( it was a 21 gram, 14 karat gold necklace)

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭✭

I believe many people cancelled their AT Max orders in order to purchase Minelab Equinox 600 and 800 machines.

edited April 14, 2018 5:04PM

I was looking at them mine lab equinox detectors as well, but every page I visited said they were not available yet.

I just did my first trip out, and on the first target I dug, I pulled out a first for me. A Chinese cash coin!

So far, I really like it. Having wireless headphones is a huge advantage when you’re in the thick woods.

• Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭✭

Chinese cash coins are always an interesting find and often from the 1700s. I've had an Equinox 600 since late February by the way.

Now that is a unique find..... @lordmarcovan found one years ago... it was a really special one though. He recounted the story here...It was even written up by a researcher at one time. Cheers, RickO

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love seeing those Mountains! Had an aunt that lived up in them. I don't think she was really related but she was sure odd (might be related). She made a living decorating those huge Sequoia pine cones. They were decorated with little figures and such all hand painted. I marveled that she could paint those small things. But, did have fun behind her house in the deep dark woods.
    Hope you find a pot o gold up there!

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com

Buried treasure is out there... it is up to us to find it.... :);) Cheers, RickO

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,623 ✭✭✭✭✭

Treat yourself to some Aquachigger on YouTube. He finds phenominal items with the AT max and AT pro. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

Will do!

Today was a bit of a bust. Four rounds of 9 mm ammo and a quarter!

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sweet !!! :)

Timbuk3

Not sure if the cartridges will be any good... moisture can kill the primers ....Cheers, RickO

I’m mostly familiar with guns from Yosemite Sam cartoons— can I just throw these rounds away?

Take them to the local gun store and tell them you found them... they will take care of it. Not a good idea to just trash them, though likely nothing will happen if you do....just avoid the possibility of a freak occurrence. Cheers, RickO

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hey, keep 'em beeping! I haven't been out but maybe twice in the last five years. Have some physical limitations now. :(

@ricko - I have never found a cash coin (that seems to be a largely Western phenom, and I'm on the East coast), but I did find a Ming Dynasty medallion, which caused a bit of an international stir.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

@lordmarcovan ....That is what I was referring to... I recall the story, just did not remember it was a medallion. Cheers, RickO