Home U.S. Coin Forum

Who hires the talent for your coin show?

CoinZipCoinZip Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭

Coin Club Benefit auctions ..... View the Lots

Tagged:

Comments

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great response.

• REALGATORREALGATOR Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

Perhaps she thought the coins might sing, dance and play guitar. Or perhaps do coin tricks on themselves? :)

• lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

@REALGATOR said:
    Perhaps she thought the coins might sing, dance and play guitar. Or perhaps do coin tricks on themselves? :)

Tricks at coin shows? Oh dear...
    Lance.

• BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,155 ✭✭✭✭✭

When you are in- or under-employed, the opportunity cost of trying one more appeal to land a gig is essentially zero.

Somebody gets a job because they got a second look when they sent their resume with a giant cookie? Next week EVERYBODY is sending cookies. Lots of shows DO hire talent, how would somebody outside the hobby/business know what a coin show is like?

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe she just misunderstood the term, "Show". :smiley:

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anyone in this Forum would be extremely capable of putting on "The Greatest Show on Earth".

P.T. Barnum. We request that you keep Annie Oakley away from the coins.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • PennyGuyPennyGuy Posts: 143 ✭✭✭

Great response Alan :)

"A penny hit by lightning is worth six cents". Opie Taylor

• StrikeOutXXXStrikeOutXXX Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lol, good reply.

I saw a clown once in the YN section pulling coins out of YNs ears as gifts, and one time a show was in the banquet hall of a private club where they had a battle of the bands in the bar part you could hear, but as you said... most entertainment comes from the dealers, and at times the customers.

------------------------------------------------------------

"You Suck Award" - February, 2015

Discoverer of 1919 Mercury Dime DDO - FS-101
  • StoogeStooge Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭✭✭

Didn't David Hall juggle 4 slabs at once during a luncheon?

Later, Paul.
  • cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome response. As a show promoter, I can say that after paying for the room, security, front table help, postage, donut and soda service, insurance, and door prizes there isn't a lot of room for actually hiring entertainment. We have a lot of fun dealers at our show that certainly fit the bill.

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • COINS MAKE CENTSCOINS MAKE CENTS Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mustard covered tee shirt contest?

New inventory added daily at Coins Make Cents
    HAPPY COLLECTING

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

When not viewing coins at a coin show, I frequently derive entertainment from people watching.... much like airports, there is an interesting cross section of humanity at large coin shows... much less at the small venues.
    Cheers, RickO

• BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 12, 2018 6:07AM

@TommyType said:
    Maybe she just misunderstood the term, "Show". :smiley:

"Coin Show" seems obvious to the initiated, but it is actually a fairly or highly misunderstood term by the laity.

People tend to think "Coin show" means "Coin exhibition" (rather boring and staid to most), but don't automatically get the "Buy, Sell & Trade" part of it.

Any coin show promoter who doesn't have the words "Buy, Sell & Trade" in big letters in their adverts and flyers is just wasting their money. You should probably briefly detail "what" is being bought, sold and traded too.

• RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

@StrikeOutXXX said:
    Lol, good reply.

I saw a clown once in the YN section pulling coins out of YNs ears as gifts,...

Heck, I've seen lots of clowns behind dealers' tables. They didn't need any greasepaint or fake noses. :)

• WinLoseWinWinLoseWin Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe she is a stripper looking for work.

It could help boost show attendance, though sales might sag a bit.

"To Be Esteemed Be Useful" - 1792 Birch Cent --- "I personally think we developed language because of our deep need to complain." - Lily Tomlin

• FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can remember some 'talent' at the old Jack Tar Coin Shows.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe take it as a hint that the next coin show should be inside a strip club....... ;)
    THAT would have plenty of "entertainers"

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file