Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I found this in a BU roll of 1981 Cents. What’s this error called. Missing plating

Comments

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cents weren't copper-plated zinc in 1981, they were bronze.

• Options
    JasonGamingJasonGaming Posts: 926 ✭✭✭✭

I believe it’s just called a missing plating error.

Always buying nice toned coins! Searching for a low grade 1873 Arrows DDO Dime and 1842-O Small Date Quarter.

• Options
    david3142david3142 Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agree with @dcarr. I would call this a cud.

• Options
    jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭✭✭

...and since 1981 cents weren't plated in the first place, this couldn't possibly be called missing plating.

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@david3142 said:
    Agree with @dcarr. I would call this a cud.

Yep, small cud.

• Options
    WatchbelieveWatchbelieve Posts: 527 ✭✭✭

The metal isn’t raised. A cud is raised this looks like a small clipped planchet but it’s not a clip it literally just has a layer missing to show the silver colored base metal

• Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Watchbelieve said:
    The metal isn’t raised. A cud is raised this looks like a small clipped planchet but it’s not a clip it literally just has a layer missing to show the silver colored base metal

You asked, they answered. There's no silver colored base metal, as 1981 Lincolns are still 95% Cu. It is interesting. Non-retained cud?

Maybe you'll get some Fred Weinberg help tomorrow if you TTT the thread.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,706 ✭✭✭✭✭

If not a rim cud, then it could be a folded-in burr from the planchet. I think this has an actual name, but I can't think of it right now.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looking at the magnified picture, it sure looks raised. If you say it is not, then it must be how I see the picture. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

No matter what it is it is not of much importance. A very minor minting error at best.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,793 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 9, 2018 8:54AM

@Watchbelieve said:
    it literally just has a layer missing to show the silver colored base metal

No such thing on a 1981, unless it's counterfeit.

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,353 ✭✭✭✭✭

@messydesk said:
    If not a rim cud, then it could be a folded-in burr from the planchet. I think this has an actual name, but I can't think of it right now.

Is that what Alan Herbert used to call a "rolling fold error"?

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

Check the weight, which should eliminate the possibility that it is a copper-plated zinc cent. The 95% copper cents are 48 grains or about 3.1 grams. The zinc ones are 2.5 grams, or 38.58 grains.

Other than that, all I can suggest is post some better pictures. Try turning the coin relative to your light source to get a better image.

Possibility: post mint damage where the coin scraped against something made of a greyish metal, and some of that metal rubbed off on this coin.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,868 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks like PMD with a scrape exposed. Are there actually 2 different colors shown there? It has that bubbling field seen in some later year cents.

• Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭

Looks to me like a peeled lamination (for lack of better description) as there are ragged edges where it tore from the host coin.

Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    WatchbelieveWatchbelieve Posts: 527 ✭✭✭

Wow after looking at the coin again the metal is all the same color. I’m sorry guys. This one is nothing. My apologies

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,706 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cladking said:

@messydesk said:

Is that what Alan Herbert used to call a "rolling fold error"?

Yeah, that's what I was thinking of.

• Options
    AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 10, 2018 5:20AM

Is that a split serif on first S in states?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file