Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

1780 Carolus III 8 Reales with FM assayer mark

goldfixer21goldfixer21 Posts: 80 ✭✭✭
edited April 4, 2018 9:40AM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

I just acquired a 1780 8 reales, Mexico City mint mark with an FM assayer. I cannot find any examples/information on it. Are 1780 dates possible with FM mark?

Comments

• AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am not aware that there are 8 reales (not reale) 1780 FM. Perhaps @TwoKopeiki can tell us more?

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Show a photo. The 1780 exists with FF/FM. You may have an unusual coin (Mo,FM) but don't count on it. :(

• goldfixer21goldfixer21 Posts: 80 ✭✭✭
    edited April 4, 2018 9:43AM

here are some photos of it

I don't see anything on that coin except the planchet cracks on the reverse that would make me think it is genuine. As you know, folks can only give opinions with an image and they are often incorrect. it needs to be professionally authenticated. Before you do that, join Coin Community Forum and post it over there. In my opinion, the group over there is excellent for authentication of these particular coins by images.

What does it weigh? That may be all we need here.

It weighs 26.6 grams

That is in tolerance; however, a coin's weight is of no help in detecting a "good" counterfeit. Anyway, that is 2 Pluses for the coin weighed against its pebbly surface. The edge should have two breaks in the pattern opposite each other. Looks like you'll need to put it on the other forum for an opinion.

• TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

Loots of metal bubbles, incorrect assayer, reverse dentil issues, etc... It's a modern counterfeit.

I had a feeling it was fake. Thanks to you all for your help!

• BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,839 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

:( !!!

Timbuk3