Home Precious Metals

Palladium prices for 2018

ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think we're headed for a new all time high. It's awfully close already.
What do you guys think?

Comments

• shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

What I don't understand is, the only reason that Palladium is used as an industrial catalyst is that the price of Platinum got too high. When they switched to it for cars, Platinum was 4x palladium, now Palladium is higher why don't they switch back? Are re-tooling costs just that high?

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good question... I've heard similar however they use palladium other places and apparently the supply is very limited.
    Apparently they can't manipulate Palladium like they do with silver and gold prices.

• MorganMan94MorganMan94 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭✭✭

Random question and I didn't want to start a new thread, what kind of premium does palladium bring? I have never attempted to buy any before but my LCS has a 10g bar and they are only asking spot for it. Pretty small amount but might pick it up just to have some.

The piece I had was purchased at spot, however APMEX charges over for it.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will stick with gold and silver.... Just not into speculation now... Cheers, RickO

• cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,549 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    I will stick with gold and silver.... Just not into speculation now... Cheers, RickO

Speculation is an 8nteresting word. Most equate it with volatility...the more volatile, the greater the potential gain or loss. One way volatility is measured is via standard deviation. This measures the high and low prices vs the mean price over a time frame. The greater the standard deviation, the greater the volatility of prices.

The standard deviation of silver is about 24 over 5 years and 33 over 10. By comparison, the standard deviation of the sp500 is about 10 over 5 years and 15 over 10.

Eye opening when we apply real quantitative measures to things.

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cohodk... Good point and statistically relevant. No doubt if I were playing the game on a large scale, I would utilize such tools. However, I am not. I stack as a store of a readily liquid resource should the need arise. Certainly there would be some market segment for Palladium, however, not nearly as large and accessible as gold and silver. Cheers, RickO

• MorganMan94MorganMan94 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cohodk said:

@ricko said:

Speculation is an 8nteresting word. Most equate it with volatility...the more volatile, the greater the potential gain or loss. One way volatility is measured is via standard deviation. This measures the high and low prices vs the mean price over a time frame. The greater the standard deviation, the greater the volatility of prices.

The standard deviation of silver is about 24 over 5 years and 33 over 10. By comparison, the standard deviation of the sp500 is about 10 over 5 years and 15 over 10.

Eye opening when we apply real quantitative measures to things.

What about gold, platinum, and palladium?

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yup, looks like higher prices !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,123 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why would it be harder to manipulate palladium?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:
    Why would it be harder to manipulate palladium?

easier market to corner but no one cares enough to take the bait B)

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Timbuk3 said:
    Yup, looks like higher prices !!! :)

Palladium is 17% down from its high in 2017

Mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

The eagle soared . That’s about it.

It sure seems to be dropping lately. :(

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

the second i chose the palladium ETF for the contest it started to tank. Your welcome

Almost to $1300! :o