Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Is ngc lost battle to pcgs on world coin?

jt88jt88 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 31, 2018 5:58PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Looks like ngc lost the battle on world coin to pcgs. Sb sent all their coins to pcgs and most Chinese dealer also send their coin to pcgs. In fact ngc world coin now sold less than pcgs. That’s why I try to get rid of my ngc box. I spend lots of money trying to cross from NGC to PCGS. . :p:'(

Comments

• ACopACop Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love the overuse of that "steal me" tape.

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jt88 said: "Looks like ngc lost the battle on world coin to pcgs. Sb sent all their coins to pcgs and most Chinese dealer also send their coin to pcgs. In fact ngc world coin now sold less than pcgs. That’s why I try to get rid of my ngc box. I spend lots of money trying to cross from NGC to PCGS." . :p:'(

Your discussion sounds like an advertisement rather than a question. :p:'(

The important thing is that you stay happy with the service you use! I'm glad you are giving our host all your business from now on as it must cost a lot of money to keep Collectors Universe Forums and all the other services our host <3 provides numismatists FOR FREE. :)

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

There should not be a battle to begin with. Coins are the focal point, not plastic. Plastic and opinions can easily change whereas the quality of the coin itself should remain constant... Unless some bonehead thinks he can improve it.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

edited April 1, 2018 7:40AM

@coinkat said:
    There should not be a battle to begin with. Coins are the focal point, not plastic. Plastic and opinions can easily change whereas the quality of the coin itself should remain constant... Unless some bonehead thinks he can improve it.

100% disagree. In the "real" world, business is a cut-throat battle. The object is to get rid of your competition by any means. Some things done in business may not be very nice or "fair." However, this battle often improves each business and benefits their customers. The winner gets mo money, mo money and even mo money.

As for this shoulda, woulda, coulda, dream: ...."the quality of the coin itself should remain constant..." :p Check out how a typical ultra-rare and desirable coin is graded over the years as it goes from one company's slab into another and then back again! :o

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

Feel free to disagree...

As I wrote, the coin does not change... Unless some bonehead thinks he can improve it. Opinions and grades can change. Some opinions are better than others. TPG is a business predicated on offering a service. And that service is diminished by a cut throat mentality. Many Collectors choose to place trust in TPG without a complete appreciation for the focal point which is the coin. Not all coins at the same grade level are created equal... Some are just better than others for various reasons that can often be seen if one takes the time and chooses to make the comparison. Instead, the discussion turns to plastic with plastic being viewed as the decisive factor in determining value. And that misplaced view has been an ongoing disservice in numismatics.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

I do, and I >:) love to argue!!

You wrote: "...the coin does not change... Unless some bonehead thinks he can improve it." However, you also wrote: "There should not be a battle to begin with."

The battle (another word for the COMPETITION present in the business world) is based on MOST of the other things you added to your original post. While your second post is very helpful and informative and written in a way that cannot be disputed...I'll >:) stick to my original post. Business is a battleground and so is numismatics between TPGS, dealers, auction houses, and collectors.

PS As you know, opinions and grades HAVE CHANGED and will continue to "evolve" LOL! Additionally, those who choose not to become informed make the world go around as in mo money, mo money... <3

• NapNap Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭✭✭

The vast majority of world coins, especially pre-1700, remain raw. There's no real battle... yet.

• topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Boy, it's obvious that Insider2 has BEEN in the trenches of this coin swamp.

I went into coins from influence as a ...collector.
    WHAT an education. The coin bizz is the filthiest, dirtiest, most back-stabbing, unethical endeavor I've ever seen.
    And I was even a business broker at one time.

My illusions were scrapped by the third week in business. Thank goodness I paid attention. My naivete stocked my cases with actual COINS. Soon replaced with bulk proof sets and other junk that the "public" wants.

And even that epiphany in no way compared to the pure WAR of competition.

Looking back, I marvel at the chicanery and outright filth I faced almost daily. :#

Had it not been lucrative, I would have got out quicker.

I'm back to collecting...even if dwindling.... but at least now I'm armed with the knowledge of "how it works."

I bless each day that I am no longer exposed to the wretched "industry."

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

I prefer PCGS, the grading and even the holders look better, however I like NGC enough that if I buy a coin already in their holder I am content to leave it alone.

BUT... if an identical coin is offered in EITHER, which would you choose?

emphasis on "identical." :D

MOST of my foreign coins are in the NGC product.

• AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭✭✭

Given that it is hard to imagine 2 identical coins other than bullion, not sure on how to answer. But 90% of my coins are NGC (not on purpose), and I have never crossed an NGC to PCGS or the other way around. If I like the coin, I am fine with either one.

• mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭

I have both and like both. I dont do any of this crossing, etc.

Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • I mostly have PCGS (and have a submission in with them awaiting grading). Much better set registry, much better population reports. NGC only has a strong point in that they have a 2nd population report for the details junk.
    That being said I keep my NGC slabs (and sole ANACS slab) as they are. They still protect the coin and they my someday be equal to PCGS (or be taken over by PCGS with a discount crossover option or merger of the set registries)

• ExbritExbrit Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭✭

@nealeffendi said:
    I mostly have PCGS (and have a submission in with them awaiting grading). Much better set registry, much better population reports. NGC only has a strong point in that they have a 2nd population report for the details junk.
    That being said I keep my NGC slabs (and sole ANACS slab) as they are. They still protect the coin and they my someday be equal to PCGS (or be taken over by PCGS with a discount crossover option or merger of the set registries)

The one thing that annoys me is that even after sending PCGS photographs of their label after it is crossed and a photo of the coin in a new slab - they will not update their population reports. They demand sending the actual label to them. I appreciate their logic in this - but it's a pain.

• RWMRWM Posts: 203 ✭✭✭

Two first class services. I understand why at times you may need to have them all one TPG if you do the whole registry thing, but why you would pass on a coin because it resides in either services plastic is beyond my humble understanding. Maybe that is because this to me ....gasp....is still a hobby.

Besides, competition makes for better cars, better televisions and I'm even willing to bet better grading companies. If one were to force the other out I would worry about grading costs going up and service going down. So be careful what you wish for and here's to no one ever truly winning the battle.

• ElmhurstElmhurst Posts: 768 ✭✭✭

I have no problem buying NGC foreign, but send everything to PCGS for grading. I like the holders better, and no need to pay for two memberships.

• jt88jt88 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am buying NGC too but only at a discount. You can see the price different in this week's Hong Kong auction. Compare with the photo on PCGS site and the photo on NGC site. You can see the difference on photo. NGC really needs to wake up and improve their service. Couple years ago NGC has photo on their site and PCGS did not but now PCGS improved their service and getting customer approve for their service.

In fact I think buying NGC old holder (not the new holder) and get it cross to PCGS can make you profit or at least easy to sell.

@topstuf said:
    BUT... if an identical coin is offered in EITHER, which would you choose?

emphasis on "identical." :D

MOST of my foreign coins are in the NGC product.

PCGS of course. :)

I am thinking to send in another 20 NGC coins to PCGS to cross to take advantage of their free shipping. I am waiting SB to send me the coins.

• brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

At first I thought this thread was posted on April 1st. :D

Collect what you like. Am I surprised to see such a silly and short-sighted assessment of the world coin "slabbing" business as the OP? Nope, not at all -- especially since we are on the PCGS boards

:wink:

-Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

edited April 4, 2018 12:16PM

Pshaw on "financial aspects." We are COLLECTORS OF COINS !!!!