Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Personally; IT IS a Blessing in the Sky 4 not finding anything to buy of recent 15% eBay Buck offer

ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 25, 2018 9:53AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I found myself so happy NOW for not finding anything just to buy due to expiring 15% eBay Buck offer on 3/23
My remaining budget allowed me to purchase these DC new offering.
MCMVI 1906 Winged & Shield Liberty; Gold & the matching Silver
1933 & 1934 Liberty "hard time tokens" <3

MCMVI 1906 Saint Gaudens Winged Liberty!

Comments

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 25, 2018 9:35AM

Just the opposite for me.

I maxed out the 500 hundred ebucks. Extremely happy with the 6 unique certified coins I purchased.

Last night I underbid on a 500 to 600 dollar PCGS major error coin. Had I not dropped over 4k the day before, I would have bid more. It's all good as long as you end up with coins that you are happy with.

• Options

<3

• Options

@ErrorsOnCoins said:
    Good for you! I bet it was quite an adrenaline rush to accomplish all that.....

• Options
    AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mine capped out at $15 back. Now I don't feel so bad about "missing" it. I had blown my bank roll on inventory a day or two prior and thought I was missing out on something major. Guess not.

Anybody else get caps on the amount back?

I've been on ebay since 04, last time I used it was 14, and have now been in it since 1/1, 36 seller feedback with no negs or neuts and 176 items sold.. probably just as many purchased.

• Options

@Azurescens said:
    a choice...if you really need it or want it....whatever makes you happy usually falls on want it.... :)

• Options
    edited March 25, 2018 10:02AM

@Paradisefound said:
    @ErrorsOnCoins said:

No, it was actually brutal. Two full days of searching on eBay. 16 hours a day, of course not continuous.

My mission was to find the very best eye appealing major mint error coins for the price offered or after negotiations. My price search criteria were $150 up to about $1300 with the best offer option.

I had to cherry pick ebay from about 20 thousand coins to find the very best 6 super eye appealing coins that were priced at or below wholesale, IMO. I wonder if another error coin dealer did what I did, would they pick the same 6 coins?

• Options
    AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Paradisefound said:
    @Azurescens said:
    a choice...if you really need it or want it....whatever makes you happy usually falls on want it.... :)

I hate to leave 15 on the table, but didn't have the money at the time to buy anyway.

I've really gotta contact PayPal for posting my funds immediately. Kind of ridiculous now 3 full months later and no issues. Probably the widespread mycophobia of America. If it's a mushroom it must be deadly or psychedelic save the children..

• Options

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@Paradisefound said:
    @ErrorsOnCoins said:

No, it was actually brutal. Two full days of searching on eBay. 16 hours a day, of course not continuous.

My mission was to find the very best eye appealing major mint error coins for the price offered or after negotiations. My price search criteria were $150 up to about $1300 with the best offer option.

I had to cherry pick ebay from about 20 thousand coins to find the very best 6 super eye appealing coins that were priced at or below wholesale, IMO. I wonder if another error coin dealer did what I did, would they pick the same 6 coins?

What prevented me on pulling the trigger was seller not responding fast enough on Make Offer opt

• Options
    edited March 25, 2018 10:12AM

Ah, ya I know that feeling. One reason, when I make my offer it would have to be more than the coupon, so in this case, I would offer 20% back so If it was late accepted, I would still be good, but if it was accepted right away, now you're at close to 35 % off B)

Funny thing is when I was almost done late Friday not, one of my offers came thru. I'm like uh huh, not sure I really want that coin now. I did consider canceling the order. This only made my search more urgent. After looking at the coin multiple times and looking at my other options, I decided it was a good deal, bought it and then another coin from the same seller.

• Options
    ACopACop Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some sellers raised their BIN to adjust for the coupon. I noticed this on 2-3 coins I had been watching. Then prices went back when the coupon expired.

• Options
    edited March 25, 2018 7:09PM

This MCMVI will match my other novelty gold coin variety...

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Paradisefound ...Are you building a novelty set of rare coins? Or just a few purchases? Cheers, RickO

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,121 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm sure many of us have been up to the Saint Gaudens site in NH where these artistic high relief pieces are on display that were never used in actual coinage. Interesting stuff.

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,888 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Personally; IT IS a Blessing in the Sky 4 not finding anything to buy of recent 15% eBay Buck offer"

Wait...is this a put-on? An inside joke? Maybe I'm missing the gag.

The expression is "It is a blessing in disguise", not a "blessing in the sky (or skies)".

My ex-mother-in-law was hard of hearing and would often scramble sayings like this. Hilarious. This one made me laugh too.
    Lance.

• Options

@lkeigwin said:
    The expression is "It is a blessing in disguise", not a "blessing in the sky (or skies)".
    I laugh too because you get it; it was to fit the subject line...Couldn't do skies either ;)

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ACop said:
    Some sellers raised their BIN to adjust for the coupon. I noticed this on 2-3 coins I had been watching. Then prices went back when the coupon expired.

Oh look an ebay bucks offer , I'll show those buyers they can't get over on me and not make any sales to spite them :D

• Options
    edited March 26, 2018 9:43PM

@ricko said:
    Are you building a novelty set of rare coins? Or just a few purchases? Cheers, RickO

I need to narrow down my numismatic interest and at the moment I am "all over" the place because there are so many beautiful coins; new and modern. My 8 months old collections mostly consist of gold ( 10s $10 Indians; 6s Saint Gaudens; 1904 $20 Liberty MS64+; $50 Buffalo Proofs & Reverse; 2009UHR; 2015 HR; 2017 UHR etc).
    The PEACE date set is almost complete (missing 1934) and a couple Morgans (1891 CC MS64 & 1879 S MS66 CAC). You can see there is a lack of direction because I just love everything & anything that pleases me ;)
    so.... the answer is yes....I will continue with novelty coins and I think Dan's are very sought after now and for many years to come <3
    I wish there is a coin guru I can go for advise.....

• Options

@Paradisefound said:
    @ricko said:
    Are you building a novelty set of rare coins? Or just a few purchases? Cheers, RickO

I need to narrow down my numismatic interest and at the moment I am "all over" the place because there are so many beautiful coins; new and modern. My 8 months old collection is mostly consist of gold ( 10s $10 Indians; 6s Saint Gaudens; 1904 $20 Liberty MS64+; 2009UHR; 2015 HR; 2017 UHR etc).
    The PEACE date set is almost complete (missing 1934) and a couple Morgans (1891 CC MS64 & 1879 S MS66 CAC). You can see there is a lack of direction because I just love everything & anything that pleases me ;)
    so.... the answer is yes....I will continue with novelty coins and I think Dan's are very sought after now and for many years to come <3

There is. And if you give him $12 he will even give you a shiny sticker.

• Options
    WinLoseWinWinLoseWin Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Paradisefound said:
    @lkeigwin said:
    I laugh too because you get it; it was to fit the subject line...Couldn't do skies either ;)

Now it makes sense. Clever way to fit it.

At least the sky is not falling.

Recalled seeing this cartoon years ago. It came to mind and found it here along with a couple funny comments under it:

languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=1647

"To Be Esteemed Be Useful" - 1792 Birch Cent --- "I personally think we developed language because of our deep need to complain." - Lily Tomlin

• Options

I'm holding out for the hologram on platinum strikes.

• Options

@ACop said:

Which one?

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Paradisefound said:
    @ricko said:

I need to narrow down my numismatic interest and at the moment I am "all over" the place because there are so many beautiful coins; new and modern. My 8 months old collection is mostly consist of gold ( 10s $10 Indians; 6s Saint Gaudens; 1904 $20 Liberty MS64+; $50 Buffalo Proofs & Reverse; 2009UHR; 2015 HR; 2017 UHR etc).

Slow down.

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

@Paradisefound said:

@ACop said:

Which one?

All of them.

• Options
    edited March 26, 2018 9:42PM

@Justacommeman said:
    Slow down.

:) My way of diversifying from the market :)

• Options
    edited March 26, 2018 10:00PM

@Paradisefound said:
    @Justacommeman said:
    My way of diversifying from the market :)

Do it even slower in that case. Lots of times when you buy a coin even if you know what you are doing you will be in the hole close to 20%. If you don't know what your doing double that.

Be picky. Take your time. There are more coins then collectors can absorb. Go to a major show and you understand that last sentence better. It should take years not months in my opinion to put together a nicely matched set of coins/ Peace dollars that are all there for the grade. Learn how coins come.

I would save your coin money and attend some major shows and rifle through hundreds of boxes of auction coins. Just my opinion. You will have an oh wow moment.

Spend a lot of time on Coin Facts. Look at the Ten's of thousands of images. Read the comments. Know the sweet spots for grades and where there is value. Scour auction results. Track coins just for the sake of tracking them. Learn one series well and then learn another.

Prioritize your next five purchases. Write them down. Stick to that list before you buy anything else. Stick to your plan. Focus.

You have a GREAT attitude. I want to see you make it

mark

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

Very easy to buy too much in the beginning. Really at any time. But that also is part of the learning process.

• Options
    edited March 26, 2018 10:04PM

@Justacommeman
    Oh do I wished I can just go to a nearby coin show; the closest one would be 2500 miles away. I tried to educate myself in this forum; books and online materials. My only source are auction house and eBay unfortunately.
    I am not planning to make or loose $$; as long as it fares better than treasury ;) I am ok with this hobby. Thank you for your wise advise!

• Options
    edited March 26, 2018 10:17PM

@Paradisefound said:
    @Justacommeman
    Oh do I wished I can just go to a nearby coin show; the closest one would be 2500 miles away. I tried to educate myself in this forum; books and online materials. My only source are auction house and eBay unfortunately.
    I am not planning to make or loose $$; as long as it fares better than treasury ;) I am ok with this hobby. Thank you for your wise advise!

You will come out much worse then TBills if you don’t have a plan and execute it. There is probably a good chance you are down 15- 25% on everything you have bought ( if you were to sell them today). You need timing, knowledge, skill, luck and sources to have a fighting chance. Ebay and auctions are full of pitfalls and rejects. It’s where a lot of coins go to die. You have to ferret through them with all other sharks to pick the winners. By rifling though auction boxes you will evidently be able to spot the rejects, the low end, the problem coins, thr all there for that grade coins and perhaps under graded coins. In a nutshell you will know what the coins should look like. If you are going to put skin in the game spend the money on your education and come over to the main land. Come to a major

At the end of the day it’s your money.

mark

• Options

@Paradisefound said:
    @Justacommeman

Where do you live? Below the earth's mantle?

• Options

I'm guessing by the 2500 miles away and his moniker that it's Hawaii

mark

• Options
    edited March 26, 2018 11:10PM

@Justacommeman said:
    I'm guessing by the 2500 miles away and his moniker that it's Hawaii

Keawekapu beach

• Options
    edited March 26, 2018 11:08PM

@Justacommeman said:
    I'm guessing by the 2500 miles away and ****his**** moniker that it's Hawaii

her moniker :)

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Paradisefound ....There are many true coin guru's here on the forum... and @Justacommeman is one of those individuals. He has given good advice above. Consider this, you have already spent a lot of money on the coins you have collected to date. How about spending money on a ticket to the next big mainland show?? There you will see an incredible array of coins. You can arrange to meet forum members who will help you in person and give you great advice and information. Overall, consider it as an investment in the hobby that will save you money in the future and ensure better coin buys. You certainly have the spirit and appreciation for the hobby. Good luck, and keep us posted on your decisions.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    edited March 27, 2018 8:38AM

You live in an awesome place. No way I would I ever leave there to go to a coin show.

You can do it all from the internet, and then go spearfishing in your backyard for dinner. You are the one we are envious of.

Ebay is the place, BUT, you Must know what you are buying and what it is worth in terms of wholesale vs retail prices.

99% of my coins and YES about 90% of my knowledge came from ebay by looking at coin photos and figuring them out.

Buying DC coins from DC is also a great move. I bought some coins from him when he first started. Sold all of them for a profit.

Knowledge is power.

• Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you Paradise I had to load up on the extra coins DC is making. If it was not for you I might of forgotten the significance of all the variety being made. Of course now lets see how many he makes of the varieties. His last batch I jumped on quick and they ended up selling out. Of course those earlier ones were different in the thicker content of silver and brass. But all unique in their own right! Thank you DC

• Options

@Gluggo said:
    I missed out on the last gold edition too and they are way too much premium on the second market so from now on I will faithfully check the site daily. Thank you DC for your art work!!!

• Options
    WashingtonianaWashingtoniana Posts: 278 ✭✭✭

as a simple test, try selling a few coins you've bought so far - see for yourself what various buyers will pay - that will show what you need to be paying to avoid losing a lot of money

• Options

Dang, I just won two certified major error coins and I do not get any ebucks ;) ... they had better be a good deal B)

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,165 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, I sold all my gold from the eBay "sale". I lost $120 on the $6500 worth of gold but have $880 eBay bucks to show for it!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file