Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Big Push to Illuminate The Quarter from circulation by the year 2020

abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 21, 2018 12:00PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Leaving us with cents and nickels along with dimes. The quarter is now considered obsolite and doesn't speed up the process of handing out change any quicker. Many people stick quarters in water jugs and forget about them. Or, drop them into pinball machines and not play competitively. Sadly the quarter is now worth what a nickel was worth fifity years ago. It was suppose to be a one year type coin back in 1932 so I agree with the movement: it's time to drop the quarter from circulation.

Comments

• Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dpoole said:
    Eliminate the QUARTER??

That's the only coin anybody uses any more.

But....but....if the vending machine gives you change in nickels and dimes, it will be like hitting the jackpot every day!! ;)

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,875 ✭✭✭✭✭

They better not, that's the jackpot coin in the Coinstar machines. :)

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 21, 2018 1:21PM

@abcde12345 said:
    Leaving us with cents and nickels along with dimes. The quarter is now considered obsolite and doesn't speed up the process of handing out change any quicker. Many people stick quarters in water jugs and forget about them. Or, drop them into pinball machines and not play competitively. Sadly the quarter is now worth what a nickel was worth fifity years ago. It was suppose to be a one year type coin back in 1932 so I agree with the movement: it's time to drop the quarter from circulation.

Do you have a link to any sources supporting this "movement" and the supporting statistics?

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,165 ✭✭✭✭✭

@abcde12345 said:
    The cent is around due to the state of Ill. allowing them to be used in their tow roads. So, they're going to stick around. The nickel is large enough so as not to get lost and it's easy to have a few of them in the cash tills without cuasing undue strain on the economy. The dime has more spending value per weight than any other coin so it stays.
    The quarter is put away from state collectors- mostly uneducated small children, and has been proven time and time again it is a burden on our society.

toll roads

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,165 ✭✭✭✭✭

@IrishMikey said:
    I was unable to get over the title to this post. Can someone eliminate my confusion through illumination, possibly by using the element "obsolite" before it becomes obsolete? :-)

LMFAO

Actually, if they just made the quarters out of obsolite, the cost versus value would flip to the positive.

• Options
    edited March 21, 2018 1:29PM

@jmlanzaf said:

@IrishMikey said:
    I was unable to get over the title to this post. Can someone eliminate my confusion through illumination, possibly by using the element "obsolite" before it becomes obsolete? :-)

LMFAO

Actually, if they just made the quarters out of obsolite, the cost versus value would flip to the positive.

Is obsolite is luminescent?

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,044 ✭✭✭✭✭

You've got to accentuate the positive, illuminate the negative
    Latch on to the affirmative, but don't mess with mister in between

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭✭✭

they want them to glow in the dark?

• Options
    DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭

April Fool's Day in advance?

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,287 ✭✭✭✭✭

This sheds some light...

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

>

Next time, make a cupcake without the moron sprinkles on top. Thanks.

Brutal...

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • Options
    mustangmanbobmustangmanbob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

One must not disdain such a learned post.

Whereas, the_ illuminati_ has pontificated that no quarter shall be shown to the quarter, perhaps the quarter shall be quartered, deleterious to the very existence of the nickle nickel, harbinging forsoth, a return to a quieter year of 14 quarter moons, being as such the realm shall use pieces of eight, yea, quartered quarter, which lacks any cents forthwith.

• Options
    ACopACop Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nothing worse than a half-assed pinball player.

• Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭

Every time I see my quarters they are illuminated. Tough to see them in any other light. But the quarter is not the only coin I see being illuminated, I think they are all illuminated.

Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options

@ACop said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bfPwtUTP4k

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

RE OP's comment: " It was suppose to be a one year type coin back in 1932."

False, as is most of the original post.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did someone decide to change April Fool's Day to March 21st and we just didn't get the memo?

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ms70 said:

@ACop said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bfPwtUTP4k

OMG, I just went down that internet youtube rabbit hole. Spent half an hour watching his videos, he has talent.

• Options

Ok, maybe keep the quarter (I haven't completely made up my mind: was going to start a Kickstarter campaign to promote this idea), how about instead we get rid of the half dollar. Outside of Las Vegas slot machines it isn't used that much. Keep the quarter and get rid of the half. Most cash register tills don't have the space anyways.
    If we are successful as a group we can then go after the dollar coin and maybe gather the strength to attack the cent.

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Big Push to Illuminate The Quarter..."

Or maybe the intent was to add lights to the quarter? And a push button for on/off? Light up the eagle's eyes? Maybe the stars will twinkle?

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mustangmanbob said:
    One must not disdain such a learned post.

Whereas, the_ illuminati_ has pontificated that no quarter shall be shown to the quarter, perhaps the quarter shall be quartered, deleterious to the very existence of the nickle nickel, harbinging forsoth, a return to a quieter year of 14 quarter moons, being as such the realm shall use pieces of eight, yea, quartered quarter, which lacks any cents forthwith.

Hear ye! Hear ye!

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@abcde12345 is surely pulling our collective legs.
    (I hope.)

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

We may need to irradiate it before we illuminate it.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

no offense intended and I hope I'm wrong, but have you been drinking??

• Options

Congress has the power to illuminate them

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,423 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:
    Congress has the power to illuminate them

NO..............The Illuminati does.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,500 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@abcde12345 said:
    The cent is around due to the state of Ill. allowing them to be used in their tow roads. So, they're going to stick around. The nickel is large enough so as not to get lost and it's easy to have a few of them in the cash tills without cuasing undue strain on the economy. The dime has more spending value per weight than any other coin so it stays.
    The quarter is put away from state collectors- mostly uneducated small children, and has been proven time and time again it is a burden on our society.

toll roads

In this case it's more likely a troll road. :D

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

Is no one bother to consider the quarters painted with fingernail polish probably contain led and are a hazard? especially so for small children who swallow them. The medical needs of our youth should be considered over the value of pop machine conveniance. Soda's not good for you anyways.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,500 ✭✭✭✭✭

@abcde12345 said:
    Is no one bother to consider the quarters painted with fingernail polish probably contain led and are a hazard? especially so for small children who swallow them. The medical needs of our youth should be considered over the value of pop machine conveniance. Soda's not good for you anyways.

I never knew led was hazardous. I'm learning a lot from this thread. ;)

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,423 ✭✭✭✭✭

@abcde12345 said:

Neither is biting your fingernails after you painted them.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

Must still be on a bender .....

• Options

That how they are lit, with LEDs

• Options
    edited March 22, 2018 7:59AM

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,839 ✭✭✭✭✭

@abcde12345 said:
    Is no one bother to consider the quarters painted with fingernail polish probably contain led and are a hazard?

If fingernail polish is filled with "led" or even "lead", don't you think it would first be an issue for the people who actually use it on their fingernails?

I am convinced that user ID abcde12345 is used by at least two people. Sometimes the posts almost make sense and are coherent, and sometimes they are like the posts on this thread.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file