Home U.S. & World Currency Forum

Quick question on this PMG holder. Is this normal?

Spartcom5Spartcom5 Posts: 392 ✭✭✭
edited March 9, 2018 7:46PM in U.S. & World Currency Forum

Sorry in advance for the bad photos, the light glare on the holder was bad. However, I just got this recently reholdered and must say I am impressed with the clarity. I did notice however it scratches very easily. My only problem with it is that the note is stuck at the very top and won't come down. I have been tapping it a little bit and nothing.... any advice? Also, is it normal for the holder to be a little be wavy? When on a flat surface you can push the middle of it down just a little bit and it pops back up......

Comments

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

I haven't experienced this as being normal, but I have seen a few that you're describing !!! :/

Timbuk3
  • Spartcom5Spartcom5 Posts: 392 ✭✭✭

Nvm about the note being at the top, I see on their website that's what it is supposed to be like! However, what would you all do about the holder? Is it not a big deal and I shouldn't worry about it? I mean it is very slight but nonetheless not flat.

• Ted 1Ted 1 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭✭

Tap it opposite end sometimes, against dresser . sometimes take bottom or top of holder in your hand, give it a tap. Note will move. I noticed (with pcgs holders though) the large size holders are a bit smaller than before, which i do love! The note doesnt shift as much.

Tough CA Nationals &
    Lowball Sacagawea Dollars (PO01-VF35)

--- SUCCESSFUL BST TRANSACTIONS ---
    braddick, Omegaraptor, JWP, EagleScout2017, OAKSTAR, Twobitcollector, boxerdad, OKCC, Fancycashcom, JimW, MWallace, Tookybandit, TeacherCollector, jeffas1974, mainejoe, kansasman, Cent1225, SurfinxHI, Soldi, Histman, CurrenSee, jclovescoins, Outhaul, Timbuk3, LEMONHEAD_PENNY, daverickey, Maxcrusha, RedSeals
  • Ted 1Ted 1 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭✭

The note is beautiful in holder as is. What grinds my gears most is when an ugly speck is in the holder. A crumb looking speck i try not to fixate on, so i move the note in the holder in hopes of covering said "crumb" up.

Tough CA Nationals &
    Lowball Sacagawea Dollars (PO01-VF35)

--- SUCCESSFUL BST TRANSACTIONS ---
    braddick, Omegaraptor, JWP, EagleScout2017, OAKSTAR, Twobitcollector, boxerdad, OKCC, Fancycashcom, JimW, MWallace, Tookybandit, TeacherCollector, jeffas1974, mainejoe, kansasman, Cent1225, SurfinxHI, Soldi, Histman, CurrenSee, jclovescoins, Outhaul, Timbuk3, LEMONHEAD_PENNY, daverickey, Maxcrusha, RedSeals
  • gnatgnat Posts: 392 ✭✭✭

As explained on the PaperMoneyForum, this is exactly how PMG sets the note to be encapsulated in the holder - away from the edges where the plastic is heated and forms the seal. PMG had some issues in the past with warped holders - though that doesn't look very bad. If you don't like it, PMG will probably re-holder it for you.

Hey thanks guys! I saw a video on the process and the note at the top doesn't bother me now that I know it is supposed to be like that. As long as the slightly warped holder doesn't affect the note over time I think it is fine. Would you all leave as is or complain to PMG?

• boimre1972boimre1972 Posts: 262 ✭✭✭

My only worry would be is if the note was adhered to the holder. If is it not, I would accept it and move on. Nice note, btw.

Mike
    Collecting small-size star notes.
    Mishawaka, IN
  • tomtomtomtomtomtomtomtom Posts: 535 ✭✭✭✭

Nice note!

• goldengolden Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a nice note.

Thanks for all the input guys! I appreciate it a lot. I'm not going to do this if its bad but what if I put some books on the holder would that help flatten it out lol? Or would it just damage it? Trying to learn as much as possible! As I am relatively new to currency still.

• gnatgnat Posts: 392 ✭✭✭

Putting the holder under books or other heavy weight will not flatten a warped holder. If it bothers you, have PMG reholder it for you (they should do this for free). If you can attend a show where PMG is doing on-site grading, you could avoid having to mail it in.

• sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

The slight wave in the holder will not affect the grade of the note in any way.

It is likely caused by a slight misalignment during the sealing process.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.