Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1977 D Lincoln Penny question

Noticed this 1977 D had some "oddness" to the front lower portion of Lincoln's suit. I put another pic for comparison. Any feedback, or just pmd or grease.....hmmm!

Comments

• Options
    boyernumismaticsboyernumismatics Posts: 473 ✭✭✭✭

It's the same part of the design, just a weaker strike.

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 9, 2018 7:23PM

It is the same part of the design with a higher part of the die polished off. :)

• Options
    TitusFlaviusTitusFlavius Posts: 319 ✭✭✭

Likely struck from a worn and/or over-polished die. As the high points of the die are abraded, coins subsequently struck from it will lack some low relief detail. The 1922 no D cent is the most famous result of this process among Lincoln cents, and the 1937 D 3-legged buffalo nickel is another well known instance. Unlike those famous varieties, most coins struck from over-polished dies are no more valuable than similar coins from fully detailed dies.

"Render therfore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's; and unto God the things that are God's." Matthew 22: 21
  • Options
    CNCMACHINISTCNCMACHINIST Posts: 131 ✭✭✭

Over polished die as in the 2 feathers buffalo nicks as well I guess

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with the over polished die evaluation.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TitusFlavius said:
    Likely struck from a worn and/or over-polished die. As the high points of the die are abraded, coins subsequently struck from it will lack some low relief detail. The 1922 no D cent is the most famous result of this process among Lincoln cents, and the 1937 D 3-legged buffalo nickel is another well known instance. Unlike those famous varieties, most coins struck from over-polished dies are no more valuable than similar coins from fully detailed dies.

Absolutely agree. I save the ones I find. They are good conversation pieces.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file