Home Q & A Forum

Cleaning coins

I know you should not clean a coin but if you can't see the details of the area your trying to look at. Soaking in hot tap water then a very soft brush. Would like everyone ones opinion

Comments

• YouYou Posts: 141 ✭✭✭

No

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Due to the level of experience you have shown so far, it is best you don't do anything to your coins except to collect them, ask questions, and learn. :)

• basetsbbasetsb Posts: 508 ✭✭✭✭

I would not brush a coin with anything unless it has no numismatic value in the first place.

@basetsb_coins on Instagram

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,625 ✭✭✭✭✭

I dig a lot of coins out of soil. Many have dirt, crud and residue attached to details that are critical to properly id the coin. I soak coins in olive oil for weeks to months. This action often loosens the substance so I can push it off details with a wet frayed wooden toothpick tip. I wonder if a jewelry sonic cleaner bath would also be safe. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,625 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good day all. This is my first inquiry regarding coin condition of a 1897 -0 half dollar. Reverse shows sharp detail in shield and overall but obverse has 2 solder globs. Can the solder be removed without further damage. Liberty is all there and clear. Dug it in some old ground where circus tents were pitched. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52