Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Help this professor out... post a coin from Australia

mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 8, 2018 7:09PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Here's a story that cracked me up earlier today. My, the state of education in this country ;)This Student Failed Her Assignment Because Her Professor Said "Australia Isn't A Country". Please post a coin or note from Australia to help this professor out.

1943-D Six Pence PCGS MS65. Minted in Denver during WWII.

Comments

• Options
    AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful coin, very sad story...

• Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oi.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,954 ✭✭✭✭✭

The professor should be transported! B)

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always thought that the nation of Australia was part of the Oceania continent. Anyway, I have a photo of only one Australian coin.

Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,041 ✭✭✭✭✭

There was the US presidential candidate who claimed that his opponent shouldn't be president because he was a foreigner born in Hawaii.

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options

@WillieBoyd2 said:
    There was the US presidential candidate who claimed that his opponent shouldn't be president because he was a foreigner born in Hawaii.

:)

Without getting into the politics of it, I went to high school in Hawaii, coincidentally the same one as Pres. Obama, albeit about a decade later, and I can tell you that Hawaiians are really annoyed when tourists say things like, "I'm going to miss this weather because I'm going back to the States tomorrow." (We're a state, too, sir...) This happens way more frequently than you'd think, even today.

• Options
    carabonnaircarabonnair Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,802 ✭✭✭✭✭

Close enough for government work...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    edited February 9, 2018 8:10PM

@TwoKopeiki - Australia shilling, Austria schilling, po-tay-to, po-tah-to...

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Half penny

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just like the word "America", the word "Australia" can be applied to three different meanings:

• The country
    • The island
    • The continent.

These three things are not, in fact, identical; a distinction which the Australian tourist blurbs often neglect to mention. A distinction which can be illustrated by attempting to answer this deceptively simple question: "What is the tallest mountain in Australia?"

The tallest mountain on the island of Australia, and the answer usually given to the question in Australian school textbooks, is Mount Kosciusko (2228m), in the Snowy Mountains not far from Canberra.

The tallest mountain on the continent of Australia is Carstenz Pyramid (4884m), a mountain in the western half of the island of New Guinea (which, together with Tasmania and a few other offshore islands, forms the Australian continent) and is inside the Indonesian territory of West Papua.

The tallest mountain in the territory controlled by the country, the Commonwealth of Australia, is Mawson Peak (2745m), a stratovolcano on Heard Island, in the southern Indian Ocean about halfway between Perth and South Africa. The Heard and Macdonald Islands are uninhabited and have been part of Australia since Britain gave them to us in 1947. There are taller peaks in the Australian Antarctic Territory but these are discounted, due to the suspension of territorial claims below the 60 Degree South line, as per the Antarctic Treaty.

The OP asked for pictures, so here's some pictures. First, we have a "coin" from the island of Australia:

Next, some pics of a couple of coins from the continent of Australia:

Finally, a celluloid plastic coin from territory currently controlled by the Commonwealth of Australia, but was not at the time this coin was issued:

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • Options

Update: Professor fired. Link

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TwoKopeiki said:
    Am I doing this right?

did you post this with an iphone? Most likely its the spellcheck B)

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a confession to make . Australian florins , shillings , and pences are my favorite kind of foreign junk silver . I buy it whenever I see it for my little stash.

When the day comes to liquidate it I'll probably get slaughtered unless I mail it back to a buyer in Australia but I just don't care :#

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,877 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options

OK, that's very very cool @Boosibri. Didn't even know those existed. And somehow everything is solved with a Pillar Dollar, too, so extra points. ;)

@Boosibri said:

• Options

@mvs7 That is the first Australian, or New South Wales, coin, called the Holey Dollar. Not cheap.

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mvs7 said:
    Update: Professor fired. Link

Can't say I blame them for taking the action.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options

This one sold for about $130,000 last summer in London.

• Options

The New South Wales govenor had these dollars stuck to be the first circulating coinage in the penal colony of New South Wales. They turned the cut out hole into this "dump issues", valued at 15p with the Spanish dollar valued at 5 shillings.

• Options

@Boosibri said:
    The New South Wales govenor had these dollars stuck to be the first circulating coinage in the penal colony of New South Wales. They turned the cut out hole into this "dump issues", valued at 15p with the Spanish dollar valued at 5 shillings.

Very cool. I just looked these up in my 19th Cent. Krause. I see what you meant by rare... all the mintages say "(rare)" and all the prices say "---".

• Options

@TomB said:
    Can't say I blame them for taking the action.

Yeah, that one isn't hard to figure out. I was amazed that after being called out by the student, she didn't just say "oh, of course, my bad," but instead arrogantly doubled-down on her "Australia isn't a country" nonsense. She should've at least Googled it to make sure before doubling down ;).

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,541 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Boosibri

Brian, is that your Holey Dollar? If so - amazing! It's a very special coin.

• Options

@TwoKopeiki said:
    @Boosibri

Brian, is that your Holey Dollar? If so - amazing! It's a very special coin.

No way! If it was i'd sell it and buy a Porsche

• Options
    carabonnaircarabonnair Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

Would you say Tasmania is an island, not a colony?

• Options
    giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,824 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow. Just wow. The smugness of some people. You're never too old to learn something ... especially something you should have learned by age 13.

Kind regards,

George

VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.