Home Precious Metals

Why are these bullion coins so popular?

coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,663 ✭✭✭✭✭

Besides looks of course :)
But they tend to run a little pricey for the proofs.
Are they very popular or hype?

I did see the gold ones.....pretty nice but not 3x's spot nice
2017 Saint Gaudens Winged Liberty 1 oz .999 Silver Proof Round UHR
2017 United States Saint-Gaudens Winged Liberty 1 oz Silver Medal BU
2017 $20 Double Eagle Indian Head Pattern HR 1 oz Silver Proof Medal

Comments

• WeissWeiss Posts: 9,934 ✭✭✭✭✭

I appreciate the "liberty plus" aspect of the winged liberty design. But I think it was a prototype for a reason. Saint Gaudens realized it was too much and reigned it in.

It reminds me of an expensive current-model sports car with aftermarket ground effects and pin stripes. Trust me: You didn't improve the work of the Italian design team that built it.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,302 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 8, 2018 6:09AM

Not enough information. Who is selling these rounds and how much are they selling them for? High quality silver rounds selling at a premium are getting to be a pretty crowded market.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭✭

I have seen a few scattered posts about these in higher traffic boards but nothing indicating abnormal interest.

Another "low mintage!" but does have unique National Park / SG tie in.

2017 Saint-Gaudens Double Eagle High Relief Silver Medal?

This high relief silver medal was issued in 2017 as the result of a cooperative effort between the National Park Foundation and the Saint-Gaudens National Historic Site. The medal itself was struck in Germany by Mayer Mint, it weighs 1 Troy oz. and is made of .999 fine silver. Mintage was limited to a maximum of 10,000 pieces.
    2 Classic Saint-Gaudens Designs

Both sides of this medal feature designs by Augustus Saint-Gaudens. The obverse shows Liberty in a Native American headdress. This design was originally used for the circulating $10 Eagle.

The design on the reverse depicts an eagle as it soars. The sun's rays can be seen in the background. This design was taken from the reverse of the Saint-Gaudens Double Eagle. The inscription at the top reads "UNITED STATES OF AMERICA" and "DOUBLE EAGLE."

1 oz. Silver Medal featuring Saint-Gaudens Winged Liberty to your collection?

This 1 oz. silver medal brings to life the original Double Eagle design by Augustus Saint-Gaudens, which portrayed Lady Liberty with wings and wearing a Native American headdress. Authorized by the National Park Foundation, American sculptor John Mercanti was commissioned to re-create the spectacular design, to be struck with modern minting technology. The medal is struck from 1 Troy oz. of .999 fine silver by the Royal Mint in Wales, its mintage limited to only 10,000 pieces.
    Lady Liberty with magnificent wings

The reverse features Lady Liberty striding forward grasping a flaming torch and olive branch, head adorned with a feathered headdress, and wings outstretched behind. The image is accompanied by the rising sun in the background, and the inscriptions "LIBERTY" and "MMXVII."

The obverse, inscribed with "UNITED STATES OF AMERICA." "IN GOD WE TRUST" and "SAINT GAUDENS NHS," features a proud eagle standing on a horizontal, vine wrapped tree branch, reminiscent of Saint-Gaudens' Indian Head $10 Gold Eagle reverse.

Loves me some shiny!
  • MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    Nice medals but a price of 3X spot is not very attractive.... I will pass....If I am going to pay premium, I will stick with ASE's...Cheers, RickO

Yes, I agree, and right now provident is selling their random Eagles at a buck 50 over spot.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭✭

Be patient, I'm sure you'll be able to find one in a generic silver round bin in a few months/years. Same with the gold kennedy and the gold dime/quarter/half that came out recently.

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm sure just being high relief is a lot of why they're more expensive.

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sweet !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,111 ✭✭✭✭✭

Trinkets for the beanie baby collector. Buy quality silver as close to spot as possible.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Slabbing any bullion is dumb , people even pay extra for graded ASE's , :#

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

For me bullion is insurance, and I don't like paying too much for insurance.

• GoldFinger1969GoldFinger1969 Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭✭

@ShadyDave said:
    Be patient, I'm sure you'll be able to find one in a generic silver round bin in a few months/years. Same with the gold kennedy and the gold dime/quarter/half that came out recently.

Not likely !! :)

@asheland said:
    I'm sure just being high relief is a lot of why they're more expensive.

Partly, but mostly because they are able to buy some ASG patterns/coins at a fraction of what an actual Saint-Gaudens DE would cost or even the NPF gold series.

I've bought a few.....not really a substitute for silver or ASEs....just something that if you like the design and are a fan of ASG, it's something nice to have.