Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Priorities as Collectors?

BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 3, 2018 9:54AM in U.S. Coin Forum

So I recently had to travel out of town and took it upon myself to visit a dealer friends shop I've never been to before. As we are chatting a regular customer of his comes in to pick up a new want list item. So I step aside to check out the goodies in the cases while they finalize the transaction. I overhear the price and the fellow proceeds to write a 5 figure check to sum of perhaps a new Hyundai? Once completed I venture back over and the guy turns to me beaming missing about 7-8 random teeth in his huge smile mentioning how he's been looking for this key date for many years. Although I didn't say anything it made me instantly question to want extremes some collectors will go to fill a hole? So now that being said how many of y'all would put your collection first if you also only had a few teeth left rattling around in your skull?

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!

Comments

• Options
    Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,680 ✭✭✭✭✭

So far Ive not needed or wanted a coin that badly. I can see how some individuals can get obsessed with completing a set. Might be what keeps him going and at his age might not care about his looks quick as much.

I sell quite a bit of bullion to many people that could spend the funds elsewhere all the time.

• Options
    AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭✭✭

Judge not lest ye be judged... there are some medical conditions that make people lose teeth for no other reason that not being genetically sound. My mother-in-law is actually allergic to her own teeth and after 53 years of suffering finally had them all pulled. You never know what's going on in someone's life.

Maybe he didn't think his teeth were important for the coin shop.

• Options

I’d fill the holes in my smile before the holes in my collection.

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 3, 2018 10:54AM

@Broadstruck said:
    Guy was probably only in his 40's...

Nice coin, but I'd much rather be able to chew a steak.

Careful with that red meat. Cancer, heart disease, obesity etc. are much worse than a few holes in the ole grill.

I'd work on your diet before spending any amount of money filling a hole in your collection.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭

Ruth's Chris Steak House baby! :p

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,991 ✭✭✭✭✭

You better check yourself before you wreck yourself..... coins are secondary.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

If he has a medical condition, there could be a timing issue as well. Perhaps he needs to wait till he can get replacements. It seems all of us would prioritize teeth over coins. Perhaps he's just waiting for the right time. It's hard to know without more information.

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,837 ✭✭✭✭✭

I value my teeth more than any coin. Maybe when I get older my priorities will change. Oh, wait, I am already older. I guess it’s time to give up on my teeth and start buying really expensive coins :)

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m guessing that somewhere on that coin he bought is the word “LIBERTY”. You and I would probably chose differently, but it’s his choice.

• Options

@BryceM said:
    I’m guessing that somewhere on that coin he bought is the word “LIBERTY”. You and I would probably chose differently, but it’s his choice.

No kidding. Makes OP look like an insecure a-hole. Rather than being happy for the guy finding the coin he's been looking for forever, better off to sit behind a monitor and belittle a stranger to a group of strangers as to feel better about his own shortcomings. I've no sympathy for this type of jealousy.

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

Azurescens, Not sure who peed in your cornflakes this morning, but if you let them get soggy you can just gum them down!

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,888 ✭✭✭✭✭

I sell to a guy with no legs.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,888 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had a lot of teeth trouble, too. Implants cost more than a new car. Sucks not being perfect.

• Options
    CCGGGCCGGG Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why settle for one or the other, just do both.

• Options

@Broadstruck said:
    Azurescens, Not sure who peed in your cornflakes this morning, but if you let them get soggy you can just gum them down!

Nobody lol. It takes a real man to anonymously insult a stranger to a bunch of strangers on the internet.

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow. I wasn’t trying to be snarky..... at all. I just hope the guy is happy with what he got. People in my circle of acquaintances think I’m a complete idiot for spending money on coins. It bugs me a little. It’s none of their business really. Beyond basic necessities, all of us waste/spend our money on different things........ Within my circle, teeth would be more-or-less considered a basic need..... but that’s probably not true for everyone. :)

Yesterday I went in to a high-end appliance store looking for a ceiling fan. I was wearing work clothes and they didn’t even acknowledge my presence for 15 minutes. Once they finally did, the service was rude & condescending. I left, went to Lowe’s, got great service, found a less-expensive fan I liked even better, and was on my way. I can’t understand people who run a business like that. A little less pre-judgement would benefit us all, me included.

• Options
    ParlousJoeParlousJoe Posts: 451 ✭✭✭

For this reason is why my daughter is in Dental school, so I can afford the costly coins and not worry about my teeth looking perfect later on as she will be the one taking care of them for the rest of my life after Dental School.

Mrearlygold, Ruth's Chris is who catered my wedding almost 25 years ago and we still get compliments from some of our guests that were at the wedding today. That place is a great Restaurant.

• Options
    TheDukeKTheDukeK Posts: 359 ✭✭✭

I was selling a coin to a regular the other day that first told me he couldn't pay for his lunch as he was short the money on his card.
    He then sold me several coins that he then used $500 of the $600 to buy a few more coins and promptly went and got lunch.
    So they are out there that love coins more then teeth, food and the whatnot....

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,419 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coins and coin collecting can do strange things to people. One must learn how to handle these things.

............and I'm NOT saying that I am good at it......just a comment.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 3, 2018 2:20PM

I don't know about the fellow but I had a industrial accident when I was young. A Crowbar flew up and knocked out a few teeth. Quite dramatic ended up loosing 1 of the teeth for life but at least it was not my eye. S#it happens right I was lucky but I am almost in my 60's and I feel if I still have my life I am doing good. I don't judge anybody for any reason unless I am above them in the game of life. If he really wanted to he can spend the money to fix the teeth but that's his business. Me I love my dog and treasure my coins in my safe! o:) : - )

• Options
    2ndCharter2ndCharter Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭✭✭

So they are out there that love coins more then teeth, food and the whatnot....

I once knew a collector that was so obsessed with National Bank Notes, he neglected teeth, diet, home maintenance, etc. to add to his collection. Almost 20 years ago, he died of a heart attack at 65 while standing in the registration line at the FUN show.

Member ANA, SPMC, SCNA, FUN, CONECA

• Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭

Obtaining Tomato Pies from NJ :)

• Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 3, 2018 4:30PM

I didn't read the whole thread BUT perhaps the guy has partial plates and I know a bunch of older fellas with partials that often take them out because they get uncomfortable. I try not to sweat what people do or don't do to present themselves to me. As long as you don't have a pungent odor you're ok with me. :)

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,276 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just got a "partial" for my bottom teeth, why is it called a partial if it includes most of your teeth?
    I'm really looking forward to getting my full uppers, that will be a traumatic day in my life, I will have to be "under" for that one.
    I brushed to hard and to often in my early years, my bad!

• Options
    BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭

Maybe he's a hockey player? Many of them lost teeth from stopping a 90+mph puck to the face. Watching an NHL game as I type this.

Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • Options

@TwoSides2aCoin said:
    I had a lot of teeth trouble, too. Implants cost more than a new car. Sucks not being perfect.

Right on Joe!
    I went for an estimate on implants and it was very............ expensive?
    I will go the old school route and put the 50K towards my collection.

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,148 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TwoSides2aCoin said:

And a few with no brains? ;)

• Options
    edited February 3, 2018 9:17PM

@tradedollarnut said:

@TwoSides2aCoin said:

And a few with no brains? ;)

I told you not to say a word TDN!

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,888 ✭✭✭✭✭

Leon Spinks earned $20M+ but never bought a tooth. To each his own.
    Lance.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well this is a weird thread.... glad I still have all my teeth... and I agree.. Ruth's Chris Steakhouse is superb.... I have always had a perfect filet mignon there... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is always a more "practical" purchase to make than indulging in a collectable.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fun thread. :D

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file