Home U.S. & World Currency Forum

First graded note! 1899 Silver Certificate

Picked this up the other day, it's my first graded note and it's a nice one! Paid about $150 for it. Not a bad price. Quick question however, I love PMG's newer holders and this one is somewhat beat up, lots of scratches. I don't think it'd be worth it to reholder it right now, but how could I go about maybe polishing the holder? If at all possible?

Comments

• tomtomtomtomtomtomtomtom Posts: 535 ✭✭✭✭

very nice!

• numbersmannumbersman Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭✭

Nice note,and great price as well.The best thing would be a re-holder.Short of that the only way I have found to help out a scratchy PMG holder is......WD-40. Spray a small amount onto a paper towel and gently buff it into the holder.Only use a tiny bit of WD-40 at first until you see the results.You need to fully buff it out until it has no oily feel.Once done,you should see some improvement.Remember....buff,buff,buff.

Collector of numeral seals.That's the 1928 and 1928A series of FRNs with a number rather than a letter in the district seal. Owner/operator of Bottom Line Currency
  • synchrsynchr Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭✭

Gorgeous note, great artwork!
    Looks so original and crisp. Keen eye on a choosing an XF note with PPQ - they can be so great yet priced within reach.

Be careful, you may now want to buy more - LOL!!

Looks like just a trifold away from Ch/Gem CU,
    very nice centering, there is lots to like about this note!

• Here's mine in the same grade. Personally I'd just get it re-holdered. You got a great price on the note so even with the re-holdering fee you're still not going to lose money on the deal.

Collecting Grand Rapids, Michigan Nationals all denominations, series, and types as well as obsoletes.

Please PM me with any available for sale.
  • Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sweet !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • dtreterdtreter Posts: 108 ✭✭✭

I always like the black eagle note series...your note for a 45 looks beautiful.

• mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭

One of my favorite large size designs. Nice example for the grade... congrats!

• Spartcom5Spartcom5 Posts: 392 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2, 2018 6:10PM

Good news i have a friend going down to the longbeach show where they will reholder this for me for cheap! Done at the show, awesome!

• TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭✭

Beautiful note! I love Black Eagles, such a great design! :)

• KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

I find this to work nice on plastic

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• clarenze30clarenze30 Posts: 85 ✭✭✭

nice
    my 1899 silver below

• mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭

@clarenze30 said:
    my 1899 silver below

Nice fancy serial number!

• ParlousJoeParlousJoe Posts: 451 ✭✭✭

Spartcom5 - That's a great looking Black Eagle Note and great price that you picked it up for as well for being your very first graded note to buy. Great pick up!

clarenze30 - that's a beautiful $5 dollar Chief Note! It has great eye appeal and an awesome serial number as well. Very nice! Would love to have one like it in my collection some day.

@Spartcom5 said:
    Good news i have a friend going down to the longbeach show where they will reholder this for me for cheap! Done at the show, awesome!

Now you're getting the hang of it!

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,410 ✭✭✭✭✭

thats a nice looking note

• logger7logger7 Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maguire's Scratch X is another excellent holder fix.