Home U.S. Coin Forum

1964 Transitional Reverse Proof Kennedy Half Dollar

While looking through a group of 1964 Proof Sets, I found a 1964 "Transitional Reverse" Kennedy Half Dollar. The transitional reverse is the Accented Hair (Type 1) reverse paired with the Non-Accented Hair (Type 2) obverse. Every web site that I have found that discusses the Transitional Reverse states that it is scarce, but provides no values. PCGS will slab both 1964 and 1964 Accented Hair Proofs, but not 1964 Transitional Reverse Proofs. This variety is not listed in the Cherrypickers' Guide and I have not found any listings on eBay.

Does anyone care about this variety?

Has anyone ever sold one of these for a premium?

Any idea as to the value of a PR65?

Any useful help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance...

David

Comments

• kevinstangkevinstang Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭
    Never heard of this, got any pictures or info on what the differences between the two are?
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had some once and tried to get a premium for them and could not.
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>While looking through a group of 1964 Proof Sets, I found a 1964 "Transitional Reverse" Kennedy Half Dollar. The transitional reverse is the Accented Hair (Type 1) reverse paired with the Non-Accented Hair (Type 2) obverse. Every web site that I have found that discusses the Transitional Reverse states that it is scarce, but provides no values. PCGS will slab both 1964 and 1964 Accented Hair Proofs, but not 1964 Transitional Reverse Proofs. This variety is not listed in the Cherrypickers' Guide and I have not found any listings on eBay.

Does anyone care about this variety?

Has anyone ever sold one of these for a premium?

Any idea as to the value of a PR65?

Any useful help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance...

David >>

James Wiles, Ph.D. has written The Kennedy Half Dollar Book. My second edition 1998 describes this as ODV-002, RDV-001. In other words, the normal (non-Accented Hair) proof obverse, which shows no weakness at the bottom left corner of the I in LIBERTY (that weakness, for many collectors, is the easier Pickup Point than the hair for the Accented Hair proofs). The "transitional reverse" shows a straight G (the normal die on the regular proofs has a flared G) on the designer's initials FG and straight (not broken) rays where they pass through the stars. Since PCGS doesn't certify them it would tend to dampen the value, I would guess. I have never sold one or searched for them. The Wiles guide prices it at $30 (corrected, $40 in PR66) in PR65 but that is the 1998 price. Hope this helps a bit. Good luck!
    VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    I have a version 1 of the Cherrypickers and it's in there. They do not bring a premium though...
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,470 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Does anyone care about this variety?

David >>

David, obviously you do.

My advice is to label the coin for what it is and stick it away. Just because there is no relative market for the coin as it exists today, does not mean that a market will not exist in the future. Especially since folks are becoming more and more aware of Kennedy Varieties and how dfifficult some may be to obtain.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Becky
  • Welcome!
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome aboard djfcoins... Cheers, RickO
  • ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes image we will look forward to your 3rd post in 2015. image
  • Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,267 ✭✭✭
    I agree, there is no premium for this variety.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • jmcu12jmcu12 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭
    I paid a premium at one time - but that was when I was collecting a roll of them. image

I think they are neat but not everyone does.... welcome though!!!
    Awarded latest "YOU SUCK!": June 11, 2014
  • WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    The more important variety of this proof will always be the "Accented Hair" on the obverse, the reverse diagnostics will always be just another way to identify this variety and will probably never command a premium.
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Does anyone care about this variety? >>

Only whacko Kennedy lovers.

<< <i>Has anyone ever sold one of these for a premium? >>

Nope.

<< <i>Any idea as to the value of a PR65? >>

Same as a regular PR65. Not much.

Russ, NCNE
  • Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    image to the mad house hope all this info helps you. image

Hoard the keys.
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it's really already uncommon it might be a great coin to have after large percentages
    of the 90% silver has been melted in six or eight years.

Welcome aboard.
    Tempus fugit.
  • EthanEthan Posts: 315 ✭✭
    I am working on information on these. I am using some information that I found in this thread so I wanted to reference it..

Thanks

I could explain it all over but let just say I bought a couple of them and then found I had one.

As to worth, well I paid a premium but that is not saying much.

Accented Hair Reverse with Normal Obverse - listed as Variety by ANACS...

Accented Hair's Little Brother

:Note if I am breaking some kind of rule just delete my thread and I will delete the information on the other site. When I use information I like to give credit when I do.
    "A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

“I want you to remember that no * ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb * die for his country”
  • davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,760 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

So will ICG.

I would hold on to the coin. I think they are one notch in interest below the all the MS coins struck w/PR dies. Some are fairly common and some are not. I suspect this variety is fairly common. When I checked my stash of Accented Hair coins after learning of the variety a few years back, I found 5 out of 23 coins.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have never checked my AH Kennedy's for this variety.... good project for a snowy day... ;) Cheers, RickO

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never heard of it.

• BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmcu12 said:
    I paid a premium at one time - but that was when I was collecting a roll of them.

I think they are neat but not everyone does.... welcome though!!!

There are some die variety collectors who would take notice in your coin. Other than that, it just hasn't caught on like some of the other die pairs.

I think it's neat and collectable.

Welcome aboard!

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file