2»

Comments

• TomBTomB Posts: 20,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mission16 said:

@BuffaloIronTail said:

@crazyhounddog said:

@RB1026 said:
    Ok, I'll bite. What is it?

Augustaus Saint-Gaudens Winged Liberty ultra high relief proof. Designed from Saint-Gaudens original plasters. Struck at the US mint

I had no idea these even existed as a Mint product.

Pete

Yeah, I am a bit confused myself.

Someone please clarify: These are absolutly NOT a United States Mint product, correct?

These are absolutely NOT a US Mint product.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

Reasonable to me because I LOVE it <3<3

• crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,776 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love it too. WOW <3

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • 1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yea that is nice.

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown

These sure do NOT look cartoonish to me. Not even a little bit.
    These are gorgeous pieces and I find them more than just attractive.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice... especially for a non-mint product. Nice pick up!

edited January 26, 2018 1:36PM

@Paradisefound said:
    I was able to acquire a PF70 at reasonable price; 20% over spot. I stopped on the bidding last year when the price went way North of $3000. Looking back I was glad I did not win then...
    This is a beautiful non USMint .999 coin. Just love the design.

Your gold piece is over the top beautiful. I think it’s a home run :) Just look at the detail on those wings.

• topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm gonna try Reallyreallygovmintforsure.com

• abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a no-go if you try and spend these at your local Taco Bell.

• ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dcarr said:
    After using as much of the sculpture as possible from an actual Saint-Gaudens Double Eagle coin, and then incorporating some design elements (wings and shield) from the original plaster sketch, this is what I came up with. The edge is tricky and I'm still working on that (no products to release just yet).
    WOW I love yours a lot and the wings are so beautifully done.

edited January 26, 2018 3:40PM

@dcarr said:
    After using as much of the sculpture as possible from an actual Saint-Gaudens Double Eagle coin, and then incorporating some design elements (wings and shield) from the original plaster sketch, this is what I came up with. The edge is tricky and I'm still working on that (no products to release just yet).

I’m in :) I like yours much more, Dan. Especially the face. Great work !!

• yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 26, 2018 6:10PM

Great work, Dan! Superior scaling to keep Ms. Liberty large.
    Love the shield and the hair blowing in front of the wing.
    [Edit:] Could even go to 1906 for the date, since the plaster model uses that....

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 27, 2018 9:47AM

@dcarr said:

This is beautiful Dan! I've been waiting for you to create one and you don't disappoint!

For the date, it would be great to use 1906 mentioned by @yosclimber. This way you can use Roman numerals like on the 1907. Another thing to consider would be to put the Roman numeral date on top like in the original Saint-Gaudens plaster sketch in the center below:

• dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

Omigosh, Dan. That's just stunning.

• MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,300 ✭✭✭✭✭

Please let me know when you release your beautiful rendition, Dan.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.

Yes I’ll be very disappointed if I don’t get one of these. Please do let me know when I can pick one up.

• gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love the design .But the shield (to big) blocks most of the wing.
    I would try replacing it with a banner around her arm

maybe coming from her waist. JAT.:)

• dcarrdcarr Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@dcarr said:

This is beautiful Dan! I've been waiting for you to create one and you don't disappoint!

For the date, it would be great to use 1906 mentioned by @yosclimber. This way you can use Roman numerals like on the 1907. Another thing to consider would be to put the Roman numeral date on top like in the original Saint-Gaudens plaster sketch in the center below:

I decided to leave "LIBERTY" at the top (exactly where it appears on normal Saint-Gaudens Double Eagles). I also kept most other design elements in a location as close as possible to the normal position, although I did move the date over to the left side because there was more space over there and it seemed to fit better. The reason for all this is that I plan to over-strike existing low-relief Saint-Gaudens coins. The closer the over-strike matches the under-strike, the better it will work.

• dcarrdcarr Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

@grip said:
    Love the design .But the shield (to big) blocks most of the wing.
    I would try replacing it with a banner around her arm

maybe coming from her waist. JAT.:)

See my previous post above.
    Yes, the shield is fairly large. But I did make it a little smaller than it appears in the original plaster sketch.

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

a great design by a great sculptor, just priced a little too far past spot for me to plop down the cash for this medal.

edited January 27, 2018 11:49AM

@keets said:
    a great design by a great sculptor, just priced a little too far past spot for me to plop down the cash for this medal.

Sold out bud. Too late anyways .

there is always the aftermarket which is how those Humbert re-issues were sold(I think that's the one). I think when they first sold the price was close to $5k. the odd thing to my reckoning is that these aren't marketed to "collectors" in the mainstream, more to the home-shopper type of buyer. in that regard they don't help us. this much I know: when someone who paid the $3k for these tries to sell, lets say in five years, they will be disappointed.

• CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like those designs a LOT more than the carp coming out of the mint recently.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

Am I the only one that wishes the wings on the obverse were symmetrical? I think either side would look good as long as the other matches. And I mainly thought the eagle on the reverse looked cartoonish on the original one posted. Bad feather details or something. I like how Dan has incorporated with the real St Gauden reverse. I just might be a buyer....

edited January 27, 2018 11:47PM

@keets said:
    there is always the aftermarket which is how those Humbert re-issues were sold(I think that's the one). I think when they first sold the price was close to $5k. the odd thing to my reckoning is that these aren't marketed to "collectors" in the mainstream, more to the home-shopper type of buyer. in that regard they don't help us. this much I know: when someone who paid the $3k for these tries to sell, lets say in five years, they will be disappointed.

Paying $3k for these isn't bad because melt value is just over $3k right now as they have 2.5 oz of gold in them.

What's funny is that while a few of the gold ones have sold for around melt recently on HA, just over $3,000, the copper and pewter die trials have been selling for hefty premiums. Here's a thread with a pewter and copper die trial that both sold in the $1,000.00 range a few months ago.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987177/ron-landis-2008-humbert-ss-central-america-slug-pewter-die-trial-sells-for-1-136-00/

edited January 27, 2018 11:48PM

@dcarr said:

@Zoins said:

@dcarr said:

I decided to leave "LIBERTY" at the top (exactly where it appears on normal Saint-Gaudens Double Eagles). I also kept most other design elements in a location as close as possible to the normal position, although I did move the date over to the left side because there was more space over there and it seemed to fit better. The reason for all this is that I plan to over-strike existing low-relief Saint-Gaudens coins. The closer the over-strike matches the under-strike, the better it will work.

From the interest in your Open House medals, it seems many of us (myself included of course) don't mind the undertype showing through. Since you are doing one already, it might be interesting to consider a second version with the Roman numeral date on top. I know I'd be interested in both!

just over $3k right now as they have 2.5 oz of gold in them

more confusion, I guess. the one pictured at the top of this page has an insert that states 1oz.

@keets said:

more confusion, I guess. the one pictured at the top of this page has an insert that states 1oz.

It says one ounce on the slab.

edited January 28, 2018 10:53AM

I hope these will be released soon Dan. I am totally impressed with your work on this piece. The more I look at it the better it looks.

edited January 28, 2018 11:49AM

@keets said:

Ah, I was referring to the Humbert (Ron Landis?) pieces you mentioned early in your post and didn't noticed that you had switched to talking about the Saint Gaudens-Mercanti pieces in the OP when you mentioned $3k.

Buying anything above melt has some risk to it. Part of it depends on what you like and the risk you're willing to take. The most risky is probably US Mint modern commemorative gold coins. Many of those are virtually guaranteed to go down.

Of course a big part of collecting is buying what you like, and it seems quite a few people like both the Saint Gaudens interpretations by Dan Carr and John Mercanti. I can't wait to get Dan's version. I'm still sorry I missed out on his first gold owl slug!

edited January 28, 2018 11:56AM

most risky is probably US Mint modern commemorative gold coins.

that's hard to argue with. maybe the two worst were the Jackie Robinson and the $10 bi-metallic Botanic Garden. as often happens with stuff like that, I made the wrong choice with a Gold Mint issue --- the 1/4 ounce 2008 Proof Buffalo bullion issue. had I known it was a one year only promotion I would have bought at issue. I decided it would be cheaper in the after market or in a subsequent year. bad me, wrong on both counts and I still don't have one. not only is the premium too high for me but they don't show up very often.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file