Home Precious Metals
Options

CNBC Report: 'Investors' Dumping Gold To Buy Bitcoin

2»

Comments

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not a real cat. A cartoon cat, also of limited edition for collectors.

Made of electrons and photons, not fur.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    element159element159 Posts: 493 ✭✭✭

A BLOCKCHAIN kitty though!!!

• Options
    giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Baley said:
    It's a long, complicated string of numbers, and there are a finite supply of those.

It takes a powerful computer a long time to dig up another such fancy number.

Sometimes the computers hit a bonus number and more coin comes out than usual.

It's fun and so far, so good! ;)

What could go wrong?

Kind regards,

George

VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is a lot of confusion between blockchain technology and bitcoin. Blockchain is revolutionary, bitcoin is one of 300 cryptocurrencies and no one really knows which will be winners. Blockchain does not require either of them...so speculate away.

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,681 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rcmb3220 said:

@giorgio11 said:

@Baley said:
    It's a long, complicated string of numbers, and there are a finite supply of those.

It takes a powerful computer a long time to dig up another such fancy number.

Sometimes the computers hit a bonus number and more coin comes out than usual.

It's fun and so far, so good! ;)

What could go wrong?

Kind regards,

George

Someday in the not too distant future people will look back on this period of time and try to comprehend how anyone could possibly have been stupid enough to have invested in this.

This.

• Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭

"Someday in the not too distant future people will look back on this period of time and try to comprehend how anyone could not have possibly invested in this."

Fixed it for you.

@ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 19, 2017 9:32AM

"Someday in the not too distant future people will look back on this period of time and try to comprehend how no one either foretold or anticipated what actually happened."

Fixed it for both of you.

• Options

Well, maybe I got bitcoin out of my system (as opposed to got bit). I sold my Riot Blockchain stock four days after I bought it, made $500. It has been incredibly volatile. I just don't think there's anything supporting bitcoin when the value comes crashing down. The exits won't be big enough. No one is using it as a payment method, so people who are reaping profits are switching to ethereum or other vaporware.

I also sold quite a bit of Tencent stock on the "sell the news" theory. Those of you in bitcoin, I hope you make a gazillion dollars. I won't.

I also won't lose a gazillion dollars. Today I'm gonna go see The Last Jedi with part of my bitcoin bounty.

Kind regards,

George

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think cryptocurrency would be happening (or at least would not be of such rabid interest) were people confident of a sound money system.

+1

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

From Bloomberg.com this morning: "Long Island Iced Tea Soars After Changing Its Name to Long Blockchain"

https://bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-12-21/crypto-craze-sees-long-island-iced-tea-rename-as-long-blockchain

You can't make this stuff up :o

Kind regards,

George

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,192 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hundreds of years later tulips are still around.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks like the tulips are wilting.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

Well, I'm glad I got that out of my system. I avoided bitcoin (after giving myself a Good Talking To) but I bought 200 shares of RIOT at $26.48 last week and sold them at $29, net profit after commissions $494.10. Not having had enough of a good thing (or perhaps not having learned my lesson yet), I bought 100 shares again two days later at $41.12 (!), only to sell them again the following day at $45. Net profit $378.10. Total profit $872.20. Enough to pay for some of that shellfish we are gonna dump into our Christmas Seafood Gumbo. OK, with a bit left over.

RIOT right now is quoted $25.15. Whiplash, anyone? This is the company that was known as Bioptix until sometime in October and was doing some kind of combinatorial life-sciences thingie. Apparently not very well. They have, IIRC, two math whiz/professional poker player types on their board.

Wishing you a Merry Christmas. Or whatever you observe or not.

Kind regards,

George

• Options
    element159element159 Posts: 493 ✭✭✭

@Baley said:
    Not a real cat. A cartoon cat, also of limited edition for collectors.

Made of electrons and photons, not fur.

I just looked up these CryptoKitties, and sadly, I did not think that they were cute at all. Any real kitten is cuter than these. Even with their DNA on the Etherium blockchain!

• Options
    ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭

"Investors" and "bitcoin" should not be in the same sentence.

• Options

It defies all metrics.
    If it's worth a dollar, why not a million?

• Options

And the same to you @AllCoinsRule!

Kind regards,

George

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,835 ✭✭✭✭✭

Currently down 21% on this “ investment” in bitcoin through the Coinbase app/site. Thankfully I only got $500 worth.

On the flip side , I made $2k trading in and out of GBTC in a week ( same time period)

I will stick with blue chips

• Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

Another article on how it is Korean - Jananese young men in their twenties and thirties who are driving this ride... there is even a name for them; bitcoin zombies. They are relying more on bitcoin than college educations... sends off danger signals to me.... but hey, to each there own. Maybe this time it really really is different (just like the tech stock craze, the tulip mania, the real estate boom).

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-12-29/stunning-look-inside-world-south-koreas-bitcoin-zombies

----- kj
  • Options

And there, is the other shoulder.
    That H&S pattern is often a "top" formation, isn't it, Chartists?

• Options

@tincup said:
    Another article on how it is Korean - Jananese young men in their twenties and thirties who are driving this ride... there is even a name for them; bitcoin zombies. They are relying more on bitcoin than college educations... sends off danger signals to me.... but hey, to each there own. Maybe this time it really really is different (just like the tech stock craze, the tulip mania, the real estate boom).

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-12-29/stunning-look-inside-world-south-koreas-bitcoin-zombies

Will need to put them on suicide watch.

• Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

And to add to the drama... Australian banks are supposedly freezing bank accounts of bit coin users.... It's a brave new world.

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-12-30/australian-banks-reportedly-freeze-accounts-bitcoin-users

----- kj
  • Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain. I already have a full plate of investments and don't really want to add an anonymous currency to the mix at this time. I will enjoy the circus from the sidelines. GLTA

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options

And they’ll have Fun, Fun, Fun.....till their daddy takes the punch bowl away............

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

With all those businesses accepting Bitcoin payment why is the number of bitcoin transactions so low? Why is so many large holders of Bitcoin paying so much to create buzz around it.
    Why are the environmental folks not all over the wasted energy on this?

I will stick to metals

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options

@Kkathyl said:
    **Why is so many large holders of Bitcoin paying so much to create buzz around it. **

@Kkathyl I think you hit the nail on the head. Greater Fool Theory + Internet Buzz = Bitcoin Mania. As long as there is a greater fool, you will make money selling.

Kind regards,

George

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,835 ✭✭✭✭✭

Send me your money. And I tell you it’s worth a thousand or million times more. And it’s under lock and key. Thank you.

• Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

CNBC is not a reliable source without naming names. Now if CNBC said that Bill Gates sold off 2,000 ounces today and Oprah sold off 4,500 ounces today then I'd believe them. Otherwise it's just FAKE news.

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭

Irony ...sweet irony...

December: CNBC Report: 'Investors' Dumping Gold To Buy Bitcoin

January: "Panicky Bitcoin investors struggle to withdraw cash from money exchanges as they look to ‘safe’ gold investments amid fears of cryptocurrency collapse"

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/5396239/bitcoin-price-investors-selling-gold-value-collapse/

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options

What? You don't believe them when the internet tells you it's there?

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    ttownttown Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    edited January 22, 2018 8:54PM

The real bitcoin

• Options

Try again..