Home Precious Metals

CNBC Report: 'Investors' Dumping Gold To Buy Bitcoin

giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting report on CNBC this morning that parallels some other thoughts I have heard recently. Although I would call them "speculators" rather than "investors," some analysts have argued (Melissa Lee this morning as well) that bitcoin has some of the same characteristics as gold back in the Gold Rush days. Uncertain value, a mass mania, a store of value that spurs new technologies, expensive to mine, etc. Obviously there are a lot of differences as well. The blockchain technology that enables bitcoin trading has, apparently, a lot of other applications as well in finance, medicine, that are separate from bitcoin. At any rate, I find it interesting that gold is slumping as bitcoin is roaring.

I have a good friend who is a professonal investor. I wouldn't even call him a day trader, because that implies (to me) a bunch of losers. He is successful. He has also made a tidy profit in bitcoin. I have stayed away from bitcoin, but I must confess as a seasoned investor myself (and being 25 years older than my friend), I am starting to explore some of the companies in the blockchain market space.

What say you? Even as I speak, Jim Cramer and the other Squawk Box panelists are talking about bitcoin as a replacement for gold.

Kind regards,

George

VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
Tagged:

Comments

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 11, 2017 8:04AM

Newly opened Bitcoin futures market will make or break the future of bitcoin. First of the year we'll know.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,237 ✭✭✭

Blockchain technology behind all cryptos is the world game changer. Lots of new companies that implement this are coming online everyday (and the majority are coming online next year) that offers products and services based on cryptocurrencies and tokens (tokens are way the company monetize their platform now in exchange for goods and services later on what they will offer). Tech services, invoice factoring, voting, accounting, lending, credit reporting, advertising, honest stock exchange orders and trades, audit trails, etc. You name it and a company is working on it now with blockchain in the background, and a lot of companies will come in the future.
    Some companies to watch that I'm invested in are: Populous (PPT), SALTlending (SALT), Veritaseum (VERI), AdEx (AdEx), Paypie (PPP).
    These are going to be huge.

@ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

creative destruction , good news for us long term stackers , metals are on sale B)

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep.... Might be time (soon...not yet) to add to stacks... I cannot predict the future, however, I will say, that gold will always (always being open to speculation) be a vehicle of value. I do not see bitcoin appreciating in value exponentially.... it is currently a major speculation - and yes, with associated profit. I believe it will eventually change to a stable form (I have no idea what that will look like) if it survives. Cheers, RickO

• giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

The thing about gold is, it's physical (to hard metal guys), not virtual, as Warren Buffett is fond of saying. Sure, it stores value (so do stocks, although I'm well aware of the differences; one of which is, many stocks pay dividends), but it pays no dividends, and is only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it (and I guess that applies to lots of equities and collectibles as well). Farmland, you can plant 100 crops in 100 years and reap the bounty thereof. A 100-oz block of gold in 100 years will still just be a 100-oz block of gold. It will be interesting to see if bitcoin or gold ends up over the long term being the more volatile.

@derryb why "first of the year" for bitcoin futures?

@Ricko does gold hold some kind of special attributes regarding a "vehicle of value" that silver, other PMs, commodities, equities do not?

@guitarwes thanks for sharing those stock names. Did you see the company still listed in the healthcare industry (I guess a struggling biotech) that changed its name to Riot Blockchain and now calls itself a disruptor? Rather a blatantly cynical move, but an interesting company I'm also looking into.

Kind regards to all,

George

@giorgio11 said:

@derryb why "first of the year" for bitcoin futures?

We will have a better idea of what affect the futures market has on the price of bitcoin once the fury of speculation dies down. We will know if the FED hiked rates in December. Gold should suffer if they do. We will have a better idea on the upcoming issue of bitcoin ETFs.

It is my opinion that PM futures and ETFs have had a negative affect on PMs, will bitcoin be the same?

• BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,977 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 11, 2017 11:50AM

As long as it leaves tracks and the IRS wants its cut, what advantage does it have over anything else?

Just be sure that bitcoin won't turn around and bite ya.

• mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 11, 2017 11:58AM

In my opinion, investors is the new speculators. It's ok to take a bit of capital on a flyer, as long as you understand that's what it is. If you invested/speculated $1000 in Bitcoin five years ago and still have it, I would agree that it is now an investment, and a pretty nice one at that. However, if you are getting into Bitcoin for the first time today, I wouldn't call that an investment per se.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@giorgio11 .... Not sure of 'special value'...however, it has always been valued above silver and the other metals are not generally (that means by the public sector) considered viable currency such as gold and silver.
    Gold coin is always highly liquid in the general public sector. Cheers, RickO

@derryb @ricko thanks for the clarifications! And yes @mvs7 it is a matter of semantics, your money is at risk either way.

Kind regards,

George

• mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭

@giorgio11 said:
    @derryb @ricko thanks for the clarifications! And yes @mvs7 it is a matter of semantics, your money is at risk either way.

Kind regards,

George

Totally agree. It's kind of like when I play roulette with friends, and I always tell people to invest in Red. Double your money quick! I've made a lot of money with Red. ;)

edited December 11, 2017 12:49PM

Surprising that gold has held up as well as it has. Tells me that the gold money is pretty much sticking with gold. Will probably see a sharp decline here soon if FED does raise rates. Gambled on some more DUST last week in hopes rates do rise. Early bird gets the worm or the worm droppings.

• BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,454 ✭✭✭✭✭

when I hear "everyday people" talking about a good investment, I think "Run, Forrest, Run"
    I may be wrong.

What would an EMP do to bitcoin?

• ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭

Great news for metals indeed! Bargain prices, and when the bitbubble pops, the metals will rise yet again.

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,796 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bitcoin isn't for investing in. It's for buying stuff with. Who's buying stuff with it ?

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 11, 2017 3:10PM

oink oink

There is just not enough room at the trough

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

@ChrisRx said:
    Great news for metals indeed! Bargain prices, and when the bitbubble pops, the metals will rise yet again.

You mean "when the metals stop being manipulated, they will rise again".

@TwoSides2aCoin said:
    Bitcoin isn't for investing in. It's for buying stuff with. Who's buying stuff with it ?

Plenty of people, ask Overstock.com for one.
    When's the last time you bought something with a gold eagle?

@guitarwes said:

@TwoSides2aCoin said:

Plenty of people, ask Overstock.com for one.

I pay fiat cash for gold eagles. Usually I use a check drawn off my account..., but I'm old school.

I use inflationary fiat to buy deflationary cryptocurrency. I'm new school I guess.

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Shouldn't it be the other way around ? ;)

Timbuk3

@guitarwes said:

@ChrisRx said:

You mean "when the metals stop being manipulated, they will rise again".

Manipulation or not, I would sleep a heckuva lot better with a large "investment" in metals, than bitcoin, etc.

• CCC2010CCC2010 Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭

They say some folks are taking out a second mortgage just to get into the bitcoin action.

References:Coinsarefun,DerryB,Bloodman,Zubie,Gerard,Skyman,Bestclser1,Lakesammman,Yellowkid,PerryHall,Piecesofme,HTubbs,grote15
    Coinfame,Kaelasdad,Type2,UNLVino,MICHAELDIXON
    Justacommeman,tydye,78saen,123cents,blue62vette,Segoja,Nibanny
  • hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CCC2010 said:
    They say some folks are taking out a second mortgage just to get into the bitcoin action.

That is crazy. I couldn't sleep at night if I did that.

@CCC2010 said:

Ok, if someone is that (insert choice words here) then don't look for sympathy.

• For those wondering "Who accepts it?" ,here are 100 of the daily growing list of companies that are already accepting cryptocurrency as payment:

1-800-FLOWERS – United States based online floral and gift retailer and distributor
    4Chan – For premium services
    A Class Limousine - Pick you up and drop you off at Newark (N.J.) Airport
    Amazon – An online company that sells almost anything.
    Apple’s App Store - Buy music and any app on the Apple AppStore with bitcoins
    Badoo – Online dating network
    BigFishGames – Games for PC, Mac and Smartphones (iPhone, Android, Windows)
    Bing by Microsoft – 2nd search engine to Google
    Bitcoin. Travel – a travel site that provides accommodation, apartments, attractions, bars, and beauty salons around the world
    Bitcoincoffee – Buy your favorite coffee online
    Bloomberg – Online newspaper
    Braintree – Research firm
    CEX – The trade-in chain has a shop in Glasgow, Scotland that accepts bitcoin
    CheapAir – Travel booking site for airline tickets, car rentals, hotels
    CoinMama: Buy Bitcoins with Credit Card
    Crowdtilt - The fastest and easiest way to pool funds with family and friends
    curryupnow - A total of 12 restaurants on the list of restaurants accept bitcoins in San Francisco Bay Area
    CVS – A pharmacy shop
    Dell - American privately owned multinational computer technology company
    Dish Network - An American direct-broadcast satellite service provider
    Dream Lover – Online relationship service
    Etsy Vendors – Original art and Jewelry creations
    Euro Pacific – A major precious metal dealer
    Expedia. com – Online travel booking agency
    ExpressVPN – High speed, ultra secure VPN network
    EZTV – Torrents TV shows provider
    Famsa – Mexico’s biggest retailer
    Fancy - Discover amazing stuff, collect the things you love, buy it all in one place
    Fight for the Future – Leading organization finding for Internet freedom
    Fiverr – Get almost anything done for $5
    Grass Hill Alpacas – A local farm in Haydenville, MA
    Green Man Gaming - Popular digital game reseller
    Grooveshark – Online music streaming service based in the United States
    Helen’s Pizza - Jersey City, N.J., you can get a slice of pizza for 0.00339 bitcoin by pointing your phone at a sign next to the cash register
    Home Depot - Office supplies store
    i-Pmart – A Malaysian online mobile phone and electronic parts retailer
    Intuit - an American software company that develops financial and tax preparation software and related services for small businesses, accountants and individuals.
    Jeffersons Store - A street wear clothing store in Bergenfield, N.J
    Kmart - Retail products store
    Lionsgate Films - The production studio behind titles such as The Hunger Games and The Day After Tomorrow
    LOT Polish Airlines – A worldwide airline based in Poland
    Lumfile – Free cloud base file server – pay for premium services
    Mexico’s Universidad de las Américas Puebla – A major university in Mexico
    Microsoft – Software company
    Mint - Mint pulls all your financial accounts into one place. Set a budget, track your goals and do more
    MIT Coop Store - Massachusetts Institute of Technology student bookstore
    MovieTickets – Online movie ticket exchange/retailer
    mspinc – Respiratory medical equipment supplies store
    Museum of the Coastal Bend - 2200 East Red River Street, Victoria, Texas 77901, USA
    Namecheap - Domain name registrar
    Naughty America - Adult entertainment provider
    NCR Silver – Point of sales systems
    Newegg – Online electronics retailer now uses bitpay to accept bitcoin as payment
    OkCupid – Online dating site
    Old Fitzroy – A pub in Sydney, Australia
    One Shot Hotels – Spanish hotel chain
    Overstock – A company that sells big ticket items at lower prices due to overstocking
    PayPal / Ebay - Credit card / payment processor / Auction
    Pembury Tavern – A pub in London, England
    PizzaForCoins - Domino’s Pizza signed up – pay for their pizza with bitcons
    PSP Mollie – Dutch Payment Service
    Rakutan – A Japanese e-commerce giant
    RE/MAX London - UK-based franchisee of the global real estate network
    Reddit – You can buy premium features there with bitcoins
    Sacramento Kings – Professional Basketball team out in Sacramental California (NBA)
    San Jose Earthquakes – San Jose California Professional Soccer Team (MLS)
    Save the Children - Global charity organization
    Sears - Clothing and household products, electronic store
    Seoclerks. com – Get SEO work done on your site cheap
    SFU bookstore - Simon Fraser University in Vancouver, Canada
    Shopify. com – An online store that allows anyone to sell their products
    ShopJoy – An Australian online retailer that sells novelty and unique gifts
    SimplePay - Nigeria’s most popular web and mobile-based wallet service
    Square – Payment processor that help small businesses accept credit cards using iPhone, Android or iPad
    State Republican Party – First State Republican Party to accept bitcoin donations
    Straub Auto Repairs - 477 Warburton Ave, Hastings-on-Hudson, NY 10706 - (914) 478-1177
    Stripe - San Francisco-based payments company
    Subway – Eat fresh
    Suntimes. com – Chicago based online newspaper
    T-Mobile Poland – T-Mobile’s Poland-based mobile phone top-up company
    Target – An American retailing company
    TechCrunch. com – IT blog
    Tesla – The car company
    The Libertarian Party – United States political party
    The Pink Cow – A diner in Tokyo, Japan
    The Pirate Bay - BitTorrent directories
    Tigerdirect – Major electronic online retailer
    Victoria’s Secret – A lingerie outlet
    Virgin Galactic - Richard Branson company that includes Virgin Mobile and Virgin Airline
    WebJet – Online travel agency
    Whole Foods – Organic food store (by purchasing gift card from Gyft)
    with your money, for free!
    Wikipedia - The Free Encyclopedia with 4 570 000+ article
    WordPress – An online company that allows user to create free blogs
    Yacht- base – Croatian yacht charter company
    Zappos – Online retailer
    Zynga – Mobile gaming

• 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

You can add JM Bullion and APMEX to your list. :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• tincuptincup Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ----- kj
  • tincuptincup Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've been seeing more articles regarding individuals taking out mortgages, and maxing out credit cards, to buy Bitcoin.

Looks like full mania phase to me... but maybe this time it really IS different and those who are bold and daring will be well paid off....

----- kj

"but maybe this time it really IS different and those who are bold and daring will be well paid off...."

It has so far.......

• dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think cryptocurrency would be happening (or at least would not be of such rabid interest) were people confident of a sound money system.

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

gold was not a investment phenomena in the 1840's - 50's. The price was set by the Gov't. I've never heard of anyone "speculating" on gold back then or even "investing" in gold back then.
    As to bitcoin, I have no desire to put my money at risk.
    bob

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,553 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:

@guitarwes said:

I bought 1,950 US dollars with one just last night.

What do you want those stinky, worthless things for?

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

to buy silver

@cohodk said:

@derryb said:

@guitarwes said:

I bought 1,950 US dollars with one just last night.

What do you want those stinky, worthless things for?

Hopefully to purchase cryptos with.

Dollars still make a pretty darn good medium of exchange, eh?

@cohodk said:
    Dollars still make a pretty darn good medium of exchange, eh?

Cause they're so plentiful. Must grow on trees.

They should grow good at your house with all the manure you spread. Lol. Haha. Just kidding derryb.

Re: the OP. I doubt investors are "dumping" gold for bit coins.

• tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭

Anyone remember this one. Timing is everything isn't it. I look at the price of AU and of Bitcoin now and their relative state on their charts. I'd sell every bitcoin and fill the van with ASE's. AG is a good choice as well to me because it held its value pretty well comparatively.

Ok, I might spend a little from the sale as well.

COA

Never keep all your eggs in one basket. Five figures here, five figures there. Six figures there, 6 figures somewhere else.

I had to disagree with investors dumping gold to chase bitcoin ( cohodk) . A few guys have already sold me so they could “go for it.” And accordingly they’re being paid handsomely for their insight. I guess.

I thought about taking 1% of my net worth and buying bitcoin ... after learning about the technology, the fees, the best wallet ... a software wallet that is hackable, or a hardware wallet that seems much less so. I pondered it for a couple of days. Meanwhile bitcoin was whipsawing like a guppy fleeing a pencil. I never could talk myself into doing it. I bought some Riot Blockchain stock which has tanked since, but I'll give it a run.

I am just not convinced about ever doing this. And 1% of my net worth is still a nice chunk of change at my, ahem, advanced age. I'll continue my stock investments which, except for the one cited here, have done quite nicely, thank you.

Kind regards,

George

@TwoSides2aCoin said:
    I had to disagree with investors dumping gold to chase bitcoin ( cohodk) . A few guys have already sold me so they could “go for it.” And accordingly they’re being paid handsomely for their insight. I guess.

Did they sell ALL or a vast majority of their gold? Because thats what "dumping" means to me.

• BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, all of them dumped all their gold and put it all into bitcoin, because the new goldd is Code made of Wasted Energy stored as very long numbers.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭

But its not money yet until they take it out, right?

@Baley said:
    Yes, all of them dumped all their gold and put it all into bitcoin, because the new goldd is Code made of Wasted Energy stored as very long numbers.

COA

It's a long, complicated string of numbers, and there are a finite supply of those.

It takes a powerful computer a long time to dig up another such fancy number.

Sometimes the computers hit a bonus number and more coin comes out than usual.

It's fun and so far, so good! ;)

Other ones have different numbers!

Today i heard about a crypto that comes with a cute kitty cat!