Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1874s trade dollar doubling?

Hard to take a photo of it, this is the clearest letter I could find. But it does appear to have doubling on all of the letters of United, as well as possibly elsewhere on the coin. Thoughts? For reference, it is found as doubling possible here: https://www.pcgs.com/books/silver-dollars/Chapter12Listings-016.aspx. However, it says the doubling is plainest on the "trade dollar" part of the coin, which I did not find on this particular coin.

I think the doubling is clear, but unsure if it is a doubled die, or if it is machine doubling. Thoughts?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably not; however, there at a few unlisted "micro" doubled dies in this series.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,553 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was viewing a similar TD on ebay a week or two ago with this same U. I felt it was shelf doubling. Is this up on ebay now?
    bob

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like shelf/machine doubling to me too.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would also call that shelf doubling.... Nice picture though. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    edited January 15, 2018 9:55AM

@morgandollar1878 **You disagreed with a post above." Will you please take the time to educate the members here why you disagree with @afford and all the other posters. Otherwise, perhaps you o:) might remove the "disagree" sometime soon.

• Options
    stealerstealer Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭✭

That's a really ugly 64.

• Options

@stealer said:
    That's a really ugly 64.

What about the doubling?

• Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:
    @morgandollar1878 **You disagreed with a post above." Will you please take the time to educate the members here why you disagree with @afford and all the other posters. Otherwise, perhaps you o:) might remove the "disagree" sometime soon.

I'm not sure what happened there, fat fingers I suppose.

Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options
    stealerstealer Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:

@stealer said:
    That's a really ugly 64.

What about the doubling?

It's pretty common on T$. I guess it's what people call "shelf" doubling.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file