Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Which is more valuable?

OdessafileOdessafile Posts: 440 ✭✭✭
edited January 14, 2018 12:55PM in Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Is there a difference in value between a straight PSA 10 Gem Mint Card of say~ Aaron Judges Heritage Blue Auto PSA 10 vs. this above pictured PSA Gem Mint 10 of the card and a PSA DNA 10 of Auto as well?
IF there is no difference why get the Auto DNA graded at all?

Comments

• Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

I value them the exact same.

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• Options

@DM23HOF ~ IF you had to choose between one or the other for the SAME Price...wouldnt u choose the double graded PSA 10 GEM MINT ?

• Options
    MrHockeyMrHockey Posts: 555 ✭✭✭

no point in psa/dna'ing an already certified auto....unless you hate money

• Options
    edited January 14, 2018 1:22PM

Would choose whichever card's auto I liked better, in terms of placement, etc. Otherwise same exact card.

In fact I parted ways with a dual grade because the one for my collection was the one pictured below. I liked how he chose to sign this one in a way such that the bat never got in the way of the signature. Also liked how he took his time with the first name. We don't need a grader to tell us the auto is legit, so the second grade just makes for a busier flip is all.

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

The think the reason has to do with the PSA Registry. Basically, certain items need certain certification to be posted in certain areas. I'm not the one to ask for details as I don't collect autographs and if you don't post your set it's a bit of a moot point but again, if you're intent is to sell it anyway, it makes sense to buck up since I'd guess most people would buy the one with dual service - all other things being equal.

A good Registry analogy is the more expensive service has a passport to go anywhere and the less expensive is restricted to domestic travel. :smile: Hope it helps...

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    sinoth23sinoth23 Posts: 152 ✭✭

This is a major reason why this site is great...excellent insight/advice. That and the great looking cards.

• Options

@MrHockey said:
    no point in psa/dna'ing an already certified auto....unless you hate money

Well said! I'm sure there are some that will think they have the better card, the more times the number "10" is typed on the flip. But the auto is 100% legit and I'd bid more for the better looking auto.

• Options

Myself~ I am all about the best looking signature size, flow, placement and aesthetic. BUT~~~Just b/c a sig is legit doesn't necessarily mean its a PSA 10 DNA grade on the autograph itself correct? SO if an owner of a gorgeous Judge card pays a bit more and gets the 10 on the card itself and then ALSO on the auto...I think, in my mind, that card has a higher value....aside from the mere beauty of the auto....make sense?

• Options
    MrHockeyMrHockey Posts: 555 ✭✭✭
    edited January 14, 2018 2:13PM

Yes, it is worth fractionally more.

But, given that these are all manufacturer certified autos laid to card in 2017, the price difference between the two < the extra you'd have to pay to PSA/DNA it, especially because most people don't really care about Auto Grades, they just want an auto that looks good to the eye, and virtually every auto on this card is going to be a 9 or 10, with differences in technical grade overwhelmed by differences in eye appeal based on placement and shape that don't factor into grading.

If you could get the auto grade for a buck like BGS offers, as opposed to needing to use the wholly separate and more expensive service of PSA/DNA, it would make sense. But, it doesn't.

• Options
    edited January 14, 2018 2:21PM

My guess is with the natural evolution of the hobby, due to the pervasive AUTO now seemingly mandatory on cards these days, is towards achieving the highest grades in every aspect of the card.....look at the BGS Black Label grade...... GOD forbid an aspect of the 4 comes back a 9 or 9.5..... you get NO BLACK LABEL and at that point your card is better off in PSA 10 holder WITH NO CARD ASPECT BREAKDOWN whatsoever! ITs a tricky hobby today!

• Options
    edited January 14, 2018 2:35PM

If PSA were to ever buy out BGS how would they ever reconcile the grading into one homogenized clear form without compromising card value? B/c Ill go out on a limb and say that every PSA 10 Gem MINT card is NOT A BGS black label. (a little humor)

• Options

@Odessafile said:
    Myself~ I am all about the best looking signature size, flow, placement and aesthetic. BUT~~~Just b/c a sig is legit doesn't necessarily mean its a PSA 10 DNA grade on the autograph itself correct? SO if an owner of a gorgeous Judge card pays a bit more and gets the 10 on the card itself and then ALSO on the auto...I think, in my mind, that card has a higher value....aside from the mere beauty of the auto....make sense?

I respectfully have to disagree; the collector himself can easily see if a 10 grade also has a 10 auto. So why pay extra because some grader merely confirmed the obvious? The market has also priced the two options the same when they have sold at similar times. Of course if one likes that extra confirmation, by all means go for it.

• Options
    edited January 14, 2018 4:59PM

@Odessafile said:
    My guess is with the natural evolution of the hobby, due to the pervasive AUTO now seemingly mandatory on cards these days, is towards achieving the highest grades in every aspect of the card.....look at the BGS Black Label grade...... GOD forbid an aspect of the 4 comes back a 9 or 9.5..... you get NO BLACK LABEL and at that point your card is better off in PSA 10 holder WITH NO CARD ASPECT BREAKDOWN whatsoever! ITs a tricky hobby today!

Have discussed the black label often with friends. There are many collectors who view the black label as a gimmick, akin to how many collectors choose not to pay for a PSA 10 over a strong 9. I mean, who can honestly parse a 9.5 surface from a 10 surface with their naked eye? That said, of course there are those who are enamored with black label or 10 flips, and are willing to pay a premium for them. In my opinion, at the very top of the grade scale, as a buyer/collector it becomes diminishing returns; I am paying exponentially more for an infinitesimal difference (if any) in card quality.

• Options
    UFFDAHUFFDAH Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like double 10's.

• Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭

If Anyone could figure out how they actually grade an autograph...

• Options

I am definitely not an auto expert, not even close. Some look the same to me and I scratch my head as to how and why they could be viewed differently. But and that a big BUT, some are no brainer better Autos for sure, they just are as clean and flowing as can be and are very visible and highly appealing to the naked eye. Centering, boldness etc. All good stuff. I assume many of those get awarded a PSA 10.

• Options
    swish54swish54 Posts: 688 ✭✭✭✭

I agree with others that technically the dna/10 one will have a slight premium over the other. However, I don't need them to tell me a certified, pack pulled, card is psa/dna as well. I've also never understood the grading of auto's on modern stuff. On older stuff that might be fading/bleeding/etc, I get it, but 99% of modern auto's are 9's/10's and the difference is so small in the appearance, to me they are the same. I can use my own eyes to tell if the auto has good eye appeal to me and looks nice, don't need someone else to confirm it.

Also, the dual grading/dna flip is too busy....too much going on and a little confusing to just look at and understand the card also got a 10 grade.

• Options

It's worth noting that the overwhelming majority of the Heritage Real One Autos to have sold sported a single grade for the card only. If the premium was worth it for sellers, people would be getting the dual grade— yet they aren't.

• Options
    edited January 14, 2018 9:10PM

I am confused. If an Auto card is deemed PSA Auto 10 aren't they actually technically grading the Auto a 10??? Not just indicating the Auto is a packed pulled, certified, psa/DNA authentic etc. ???? Why would one send in a certified modern card that is auotgraphed for auto grading other than to determine the "quality" of the Auto??

• Options

Correct, they are grading the auto, in addition to the authentication.

• Options

Thanks DM. Its hard to keep all straight sometimes...lol

• Options

I think we all have seen PSA 10 Gem Mint and then PSA/DNA 9 Auto on the same card...... IF Im sending a PSA 10 graded card into PSA for the followup DNA confirmation ~hopefully getting a PSA/DNA 10 and it doesn't achieve a 10....I would instruct PSA not to grade the card at all unless the DNA grade is a 10 minimum. In essence, Id specify minimum 10 or do not grade b/c the DNA 9 diminishes the value of the card IMO. I think card sales data would confirm that. I would certainly agree that most graded Judge auto's, for example, only have the one grade for the card condition omitting the DNA grade altogether. Im not trying to create a mountain out of a mow hill here.... A double 10 is just a bit better in my eyes... I agree with UFFDAH on this point.

• Options

Here's a beauty 1/1 on ebay.... asking $4,299.00.

• Options

Here's a beauty..

• Options
    waxman2745waxman2745 Posts: 727 ✭✭✭

@Odessafile said:
    Here's a beauty 1/1 on ebay.... asking $4,299.00.

Great looking card. I imagine its tough to get a 10 on both the card and the auto. To think that a gem-looking card pulled straight from a pack can get a 9 or lower, this one had to be handled very carefully by Reggie during the signing process.

Adam
    buying O-Pee-Chee (OPC) baseball
  • Options
    rounding3rdrounding3rd Posts: 287 ✭✭✭

The PSA grading of the auto is much more subjective (than card grading) in my opinion...I just use my own personal view of the auto eye-appeal as to if I purchase a specific autographed card.

-Michael

Working on Baseball HOF Autograph Set Registry