Home U.S. & World Currency Forum

What grade would you give this 1928 $20 Gold Cert?

So I bought this awhile back at a coin show and was wondering how you all would grade it? If I had to guess, looking online I say maybe a Fine? Maybe a tad higher?? I think my local coin shop is sending some currency out to get graded and I can piggyback for $30 or so and was thinking if indeed Fine or higher I may want to submit it!

Comments

• TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 12, 2018 6:23AM

Yes fine. F15, might squeeze a VF20. Get it graded if you want for fun, but the grading cost is a little high vs the value of the note. Maybe if it was XF/AU then I would have it graded.

• goldengolden Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fine. I would not get it graded.

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

:) !!!

Timbuk3
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,409 ✭✭✭✭✭

i got 2 myself. there neat to have.

• numbersmannumbersman Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭✭

From the pics it's a fine 15.Grading this note,in my opinion,is not worth the money.$30 grading on a note worth roughly $100 seems wasteful to me.That stated,many have reasons to grade that I am not privy to.

Collector of numeral seals.That's the 1928 and 1928A series of FRNs with a number rather than a letter in the district seal. Owner/operator of Bottom Line Currency
  • TennisCoachTennisCoach Posts: 301 ✭✭✭
    edited January 13, 2018 10:31PM

I would grade the note a VF 20 Apparent/Net with a notation of Foreign substance. The paper seems to have a little more body and less folds than most notes graded Fine. Plus the back side and the margins are better than you normally find on notes graded in Fine condition. I think the value of the note is around $85 and paying a grading fee of $30 seems cost prohibitive. It's the type of note to get graded during one of the monthly specials/economy class or leave as is.

Family, Neighborhood, Community,
    make the World a better place.

• logger7logger7 Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just made it Fine due to heavy wear and stains.

• boimre1972boimre1972 Posts: 262 ✭✭✭

Be careful with gold notes. I bought one a while ago and, like a fool (new to collecting), got it graded. It had repaired pin holes in it and got an apparent grade. Only buy ones already graded.

Mike
    Collecting small-size star notes.
    Mishawaka, IN