Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

My FUN NEWPS

YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 10, 2018 6:24AM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

My biggest new collecting passion developed in 2017 is world coins that circulated in early America. I found two great 17th and 18th century coins in Tampa that had to come home with me : a 1691 French 1/2 Ecu and a 1786 Dutch 1/2 Ducat. While the latter may not have circulated here, it is the right era and was too breath taking to pass up.
Both are pictured below. The gilder is not as original as the ecu, but has amazing luster. Eye appeal and originality are vital to me. The Dutch piece spoke to me.

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.

Comments

• TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great new additions, Lee! Looks like the Ecu might have some nice color. That rider is all there, too. It's a pretty large coin for a fractional denomination.

• YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks, 2K.
    The Ecu does have some great color, especially on the periphery. A PCGS holder should show it off more.
    The ducat has super luster that made me not want to put it down (even today).
    My terrible photo taking skills did not do justice to either coin.
    I plan to cross them when I get others to submit also.

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭

Both are excellent additions. Very nice look on the Utrecht in particular!

• BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,839 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice additions. Are you going to work on the set I built with PCGS? I see you have it started.

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Bob13Bob13 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭✭✭

Look forward to some better pictures of the half Ecu. I've been looking to buy one myself, but it seems to be a tough type - often lots of adjustment marks, or re-stamped over prior type (in a not interesting but instead ugly way), and a lot of cleaned examples.

But that one looks good! Congrats on both.

My current "Box of 20"

• YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Boosibri said:
    Nice additions. Are you going to work on the set I built with PCGS? I see you have it started.

Thank you for getting that set started. My interest there is more in the larger silver type than the smaller silver denominations, copper or gold.

• ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • bidaskbidask Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great way to start in the darkside.

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.