Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

1973 S proof Jefferson nickel

I have this 1973 S proof nickel that appears to be doubled die on almost all the lettering on the obverse thanks for looking

Comments

• More images of 1973S Jefferson nickel

• mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭

wrong forum. This should go in the US forum section

Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • sylsyl Posts: 888 ✭✭✭

Your coin doesn't appear to be proof or even Unc and the photos are not magnified enough to see what you have. There could be some machine/mechanical doubling but hard to tell. This post should go in the US forum, not world/ancient

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,639 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably mechanical doubling rather than doubled die. Also, might not be a proof coin - SF mint issued cents and nickels for circulation in the late 60s into the 70s. Move the thread to the US Coins section for more responses....

• BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 10, 2018 1:25PM

I myself had to go look it up, but the Red Book and Krause both seem to say the last true "S" mintmarked circulation strike nickels were in 1970. Captain Henway's book says 1973 was proof only.

It didn't automatically square with my memory, but this must be a circulated proof. Otherwise, it seems unremarkable.

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,639 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillDugan1959 said:
    I myself had to go look it up, but the Red Book and Krause both seem to say the last true "S" mintmarked circulation strike nickels were in 1970. Captain Henway's book says 1973 was proof only.

It didn't automatically square with my memory, but this must be a circulated proof. Otherwise, it seems unremarkable.

I also tried to look it up but my source was not as good as yours. I did not recall getting 1973S nickels in change but the Internet tried to tell me otherwise...

• BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 10, 2018 1:50PM

My memory was playing tricks on me too. I was in late grade school/early high school in the early 1970s, and "S" mintmarks were hard to come by in flyover country. We always saved them when encountered.

I had a serious error in my first statement and only got it edited seconds before you saw It!