Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Why did the general public lose interest in the State Quarters series?

2»

Comments

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pf70collector said:
    I sold an NGC Silver Proof 70 State Quarter Set for $5300 on ebay . I bought the set for $1500 a few years earlier. At one time there was great demand for these sets.

Good for you!

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,869 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Onastone said:
    Too many period. I firmly believe in one design, make it a beautiful, artistic piece, and leave it alone for a few years. Even changing the design every year is too much, never mind every 10 weeks...just because we can. How about changing the design every month? How about on all the coins, not just the quarters. Yikes what a circus that would be.
    And what happens an the end of the Parks Quarters? State birds? State flowers? How about featuring State Senators? Now there's a series that might never end!!!

stamp collecting used to be big, then the post office started issuing 20-30 commemoratives per year

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:
    Look at Illinois' pitiful only choice.

I think the Shawnee coin is above average.
    The area itself is beautiful.
    I have hiked it many times.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,571 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mannie gray said:

@CaptHenway said:
    Look at Illinois' pitiful only choice.

I think the Shawnee coin is above average.
    The area itself is beautiful.
    I have hiked it many times.

But the image, rocks and trees, is so generic. Could have been Starved Rock or a thousand other rocky forests for all you can tell from that image.

They should have been allowed to use Lincoln's home in SPrngfield.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

Because it is boring have too many millions in circulation. IMHO

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 3, 2018 12:49AM

@BackroadJunkie said:

@davewesen said:
    Is the bottom blob doubled? (how can you not be enthused about collecting things like this?)

To be fair, Iowa didn't have much of a choice. Because of the way the law is worded, it was either Effigy Mounds, or Herbert Hoover's 2-room boyhood home. Seriously, those were the only two possible choices. I've actually been to Effigy Mounds, and the coin is probably the best representation of the site you could do.

Doesn't mean the coin doesn't suck, but places like Iowa was destined to suck no matter what...

Here's a better pic of a PCGS PR70DCAM:

I think there are some better options. Of the following, IA-02, IA-04, IA-21, IA-22A, IA-22B are all better for me.

• Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@BackroadJunkie said:

@davewesen said:
    Is the bottom blob doubled? (how can you not be enthused about collecting things like this?)

To be fair, Iowa didn't have much of a choice. Because of the way the law is worded, it was either Effigy Mounds, or Herbert Hoover's 2-room boyhood home. Seriously, those were the only two possible choices. I've actually been to Effigy Mounds, and the coin is probably the best representation of the site you could do.

Doesn't mean the coin doesn't suck, but places like Iowa was destined to suck no matter what...

I think there are some better options. Of the following, IA-02, IA-04, IA-21, IA-22A, IA-22B are all better for me.

Then you should apply for a seat on the CCAC the next time there's an opening.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@davewesen said:

Is that the Barbapapa commemorative ?

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,869 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are 'America the Beautiful' just a repeat of the state quarter program? what order are they using?

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,571 ✭✭✭✭✭

@davewesen said:
    Are 'America the Beautiful' just a repeat of the state quarter program? what order are they using?

They are being issued in the chronological order in which the National Monument or Park or Forest or whatever was authorized. Unfortunately, this put the Arkansas Hot Springs Bidet ahead of the Grand Canyon and Yellowstone and Yosemite.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

Has anybody decided to visit each state park? That would be quite a trip. Things change too, for instance the Old Man of the Mountain quarter for New Hampshire collapsed 3 years after the coin was issued. That one became a tribute coin.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

My Mom would save the SHQ's as they came out for her great - grand kids...I think she stopped after the states.....That was the only interest my Mom ever showed in coin collecting... ;) I did get and save (still have) two rolls of my birth state.... never opened. There are a couple of errors that I looked for... briefly... now I forget what they were.... Just never really interested me. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would suspect a top registry set is not cheap to put together. On the same breath, I’d have to take up drinking if I were to attempt it.

• Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

I did a PCGS MS66 set of the state quarters. Has not been touched in 8 years. I have Dansco's for all 1932-Date quarters. Just put in the 2017's last week. It would be interesting to know what album sales are like. These series are still best collected raw. I would think it is only the "collectors" who care about these, so that in itself would make them not that popular with the general public.

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    coinhackcoinhack Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭✭

@mustangmanbob said:
    There was also an indirect negative to cash businesses like fast food, etc.

After a while, no one had a CLUE as to what all the possible back sides of quarters looked like, and 47 metric tons of German 1 Mark, French 1 Franc, and the Caribbean nation quarters were dumped on unsuspecting cashiers.

Right size, had something of a design, and in the register they went.

A friend of mine said that if he was going to counterfeit money, it would be U.S. quarters. OK, you wouldn't make much money but he was sure that with all of the different designs, no one would ever notice. I think you just proved him right.

• Options

Not enough errors......seriously.

Public loves looking for reported $100-$1000 coins loose in circulation.

Missing edge lettering and other early edge lettering errors were a boom for dollar coins.

• Options
    JOsborneJOsborne Posts: 115 ✭✭✭

Because they're about as unique as a square of toilet paper and just as interesting.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,055 ✭✭✭✭✭

I never had any interest in the series. Among my circle of friends/relatives only one friend worked on a set, with her grand kids. They gave up halfway through the series. The young ones lost interest when the video game boom hit them.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

Once I did a little painting on one of those state quarters and mixed it in with the register change. You should have seen the customer light up when they got it in their change!!!! They thought they got one of those rare painted quarters!!!!!!!!

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JOsborne said:
    Because they're about as unique as a square of toilet paper and just as interesting.

Please, at least the toilet paper is useful

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    BrutalflyBrutalfly Posts: 74 ✭✭✭

The state quarters are what got my 9 year old and 7 year old sons into collecting.
    Their little faces light up seeing the state coins and looking at them. They have really enjoyed them all.
    They have collected all of them.
    They started to look for errors knowing they are few and far between.
    Now they are doing the state park quarters and can't wait to complete their set and talk about what could be on the new quarters yet to come.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 4, 2018 8:55AM

I'd also venture that one reason the public lost some interest is the states did a lot of marketing around the statehood quarters at the beginning due to the design competitions. A lot of newspapers published proposals and asked for people to vote for their favorites which was then submitted to the US Mint. The later SHQs and ATBs were designed at the Mint with no local involvement.

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 4, 2018 12:54PM

@Zoins said:
    I'd also venture that one reason the public lost some interest is the states did a lot of marketing around the statehood quarters at the beginning due to the design competitions. A lot of newspapers published proposals and asked for people to vote for their favorites which was then submitted to the US Mint. The later SHQs and ATBs were designed at the Mint with no local involvement.

I wanted to see Johnny Appleseed on the Indiana quarter but, unsurprisingly, was disappointed. There are lots of good arguments for the individual and he could have made a far more interesting design and theme. Of course, what isn't more interesting than a race car?

To each his own but I find many of the states quarters interesting and a few of them attractive.

I also find that the various manufacturing, promotion, and distribution processes to be fascinating. It was interesting for a collector to see all these events unfold in real time. I don't collect the parks coins to the same degree but I've certainly been watching them. The number of different coins in these sets is far higher than most realize due to identifiable differences in their composition.

That many people have specific problems with the series is probably not the primary cause of the lessened interest. It seems to some extent they were "over-promoted" as a concept; it's only "natural" interest would wane when the promotion did. But make no mistake about it: large numbers of people are actively involved in these coins and the potential for growth incredible. Like most moderns, there are few enough of many issues to create high prices but there is an extreme dearth of demand.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭✭

Availability. When State Q's first came out, I could go to my local bank or the Fed window and get them at face. I collected 1 "P"-mint roll each for my boys & 1 to open to fill holes in my and their Whitman folders, as well as trade for "D"-mint singles with fellow collectors. We were all happy.

Then the Fed window closed, followed eventually by banks no longer getting/offering rolls in a timely manner. Became harder to get. Even harder with the National Parks.

Interest from "casual" collectors naturally fell as a result.

Common/circulating coin availability is a personal gripe of mine. If you're not going to circulate JFK halves or Prez/Sac/N.A. dollars, then just stop legislating their mintage. But that'll never happen - - they make too much seignorage on those & other coins.........

• Options
    ElmhurstElmhurst Posts: 778 ✭✭✭

Maybe because they are poorly made crap, with just enough relief to make out the design...just like all business strike USMint products for the last 30+ years.

• Options
    Mission16Mission16 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭

The attention span of the average person is fairly short. The quarter program was (is) great BUT it spanned a long period of time. The little kids that started filling holes with thier parents in 1999 got older and moved onto college and real world jobs.

• Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭

I have collected the first 5 years in PCGS PF 70 the National Parks Silver Proof Quarter Sets. Then stopped. Even then the fatigue was settling in.

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it's time we settle on a permanent design for the quarter and put the nonsense to rest.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file