Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

What grades would this Constantine commemorative get NGC?

Hey guys I have what I think to be a very nice Constantine commemorative coin. It depicts Romulus and Remus on the back of it. I paid only $10 and honestly I think the details are quite nice which leads me to want to have it graded for my collection. I really know nothing about ancient coins and grading them. What do you all think about it? Suggestions would be great! On another forum this was the coin exactly as it was identified. https://cngcoins.com/Coin.aspx?CoinID=111014

Comments

• Spartcom5Spartcom5 Posts: 392 ✭✭✭

While I'm at it here is another coin, quite nice besides the green corrosion which may be the deal breaker correct?

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do collectors of ancients really care about TPG grades? I'd just say, "Save your money."

All glory is fleeting.
  • KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not sure if it is authentic but at 10.00 not important but check to see if cast copy.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

edited January 3, 2018 5:41AM

Well I bought it out of the junk bin at my coin store I frequent and they don't carry copies as far as I'm concerned. I think it should be good, how would you go about checking? As for the grees corrosion is there any safe way of removing it.,

• BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 3, 2018 9:10AM

The slabbing cost would be thirty times what either coin is worth.

• gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not sure you can do anything with the green corrosion.
    I would soak it in olive oil for a few months. Than try
    a tooth brush (gently) ...

• STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    edited January 3, 2018 9:36AM

@Kkathyl said:
    Not sure if it is authentic but at 10.00 not important but check to see if cast copy.

Very common but nice Urbs Roma type. no indication that it is anything but genuine. Likely to have been more or less mint state, altho bit of an unnatural color with some evidence of cleaning and remnants whatever was removed, esp at 7 o';clock on the obverse and behind the wolf on the reverse. The wolf itself is quite nice looking nonetheless. I'm not sure why you'd want to have it TPG'd but it's your money. I'd avoid the Constantius as Caesar piece altogether. Again a very common type and if the green is at all powdery it's bronze disease which can be a challenge to remove. Best case may leave serious pitting when the green is removed. Just MHO.

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • TitusFlaviusTitusFlavius Posts: 317 ✭✭✭

Both coins look perfectly genuine. If you want slabbed examples of these types, I'd recommend buying ones that have already been graded. It'll probably cost more than $10 a coin, but will likely be less than the total cost of grading a raw coin. These are common types, so there should be plenty of examples you can choose from. Happy collecting!

Aaron

"Render therfore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's; and unto God the things that are God's." Matthew 22: 21
  • KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would stick it in a display if you have one. Would look nice underneath a glass table :)

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

edited January 4, 2018 6:21PM

Thanks guys! i appreciate the help on this. I am trying to find something nice to display ancients in. Right now they're all in flips, doesn't look too great! Any ideas?