Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Post your favorite acquisition of 2017

While the year isn't over yet, lets get the ball rolling!

Only Charles IIII 8E in 65 for any date or service. Was raw, then N65 now P65.

Comments

• bosoxbosox Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭✭

1859 W9/8 with a coinage alignment. One of only two graded by PCGS and by far the better of the two. Not the best eye appeal, but a really scarce coin. I have not imaged it yet, so here is the Heritage link.

https://coins.ha.com/itm/canada/canada-victoria-wide-9-cent-1859-8-ms64-red-and-brown-pcgs-/a/3056-30159.s?ic2=mybidspage-lotlinks-12202013&tab=MyBids-101116

Numismatic author & owner of the Uncommon Cents collections. 2011 Fred Bowman award winner, 2020 J. Douglas Ferguson award winner, & 2022 Paul Fiocca award winner.

http://www.victoriancent.com
  • Looks like you all had a very good year.

Successful BST deals with mustangt and jesbroken. Now EVERYTHING is for sale.

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for sharing !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,839 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Stork: Curious, why Albania

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great stuff!

• StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Boosibri said:
    @Stork: Curious, why Albania

Always a tough one to answer and it's never short.

Partly when I first started hanging out on CU there were several themes popular for collecting. Among them eagles and lions, of which there are some nice examples on Albanian coins. Also, the so-called 'bare breasted ladies' were very popular for awhile. Well, not being so into the 'bbl' theme, I joked around about collecting 'nekkid men' of which there are also some good Albanian coins.

Plus, when I first started trying to figure out what to collect I pursued the ever popular 'one from every country' collection. It became quite apparent early that most countries are hard to limit to just one coin as there are so many awesome choices. And, ever notice Albania comes up pretty close to the front of Krause? Basically I had a hard time getting past Albania on the country list.

Reading up on the history of Albania ended up being quite interesting. Zog was a self-made monarch--a mix of totalitarian leader, yet was trying to pull his country out of being a backwater. He imposed anti-animal cruelty laws, outlawed serfdom, 'banned the veil' among other things. Leading up to WWII Albania was one of few countries still writing visas for Jewish people and during the war the Jewish population actually increased (200 to 2000), and the rest of the country (Muslim and Christian) actively protected the Jewish residents. Zog's refusal to close the borders to Jewish people was one of the things that infuriated the Italians prior to the Italian occupation and Zog fleeing.

Anyway, after the first half dozen or so coins it ended up being a bit of an obsession.

Someone on another forum said he somehow pictured me as being of half Japanese-half Albanian descent...but I am neither. It did inspire me to create my new avatar though!

• ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the Albanian designs rock - modern yet capture many ancient motifs with crafty engraving. You can clearly see the neighboring Italian influence.

• 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jeff, great to see you active (and alive and kicking!). Miss the camaraderie!
    Cheers to you
    And all the other wonder postings.
    I would show the MS 1848/7 sixpence that I got earlier but have misplaced it!

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭

Bremerhaven, smelly port city on the North Sea. Absolutely beautiful 3DM coin.

Paul
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 26, 2017 11:22AM

@SDSportsFan said:
    China: Warring States Period (475-220 BC). State of Yan "Yi" or "Ming" Knife ND (400-220 BC), H-4.42.

These are pretty cool. Do you have any others?

Does anyone grade these?

• SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@SDSportsFan said:
    China: Warring States Period (475-220 BC). State of Yan "Yi" or "Ming" Knife ND (400-220 BC), H-4.42.

These are pretty cool. Do you have any others?

Does anyone grade these?

Thanks. Of my five favorites I posted above, this is definitely #1 on the list.

Heritage had five of these back in April 2017, and this is the only one I was able to pick up.

This particular one is 5" long, and 3/4" at its widest point. I don't know of anyone who grades/slabs them.

Steve

• TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:
    Just under the wire. I've wanted this particular coin for as long as I've been collecting.

mark

Wonderful example of this counterstamped issue!

• YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RMW said:

British 1746 proof halfcrown

RMW, I like that one immensely .

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • RMWRMW Posts: 219 ✭✭✭

Thanks. It is slabbed as a 66 star by NGC.
    I have a nice proof shilling 1746 as well but have yet to see a really nice 1746 proof sixpence. Am waiting to win the lottery to get the crown.

• YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 28, 2017 5:39PM

@RMW said:
    Thanks. It is slabbed as a 66 star by NGC.
    I have a nice proof shilling 1746 as well but have yet to see a really nice 1746 proof sixpence. Am waiting to win the lottery to get the crown.

Really nice find.
    Why 1746?

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.

Thanks. Now on to get a nice proof sixpence.
    Actually the halfcrown looks even nicer in hand as the pic is a bit overexposed.

• Bob13Bob13 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭✭✭

@messydesk - what is your second coin there? What exactly is the date?

My current "Box of 20"

To Yorkshireman.
    I don’t quite understand your question of why 1746, but it is the first year where Proof sets were struck for collectors ( 100 Sets) and for me it represents a good opportunity to get good examples of the Old Head type of George II. I also got a lustrous 1758/7 sixpence this year in MS 65 which has great toning as well, and so I can afford to wait until the right 1746 Proof sixpence comes along.

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 29, 2017 10:53AM

@Bob13 said:
    @messydesk - what is your second coin there? What exactly is the date?

The coin is a Bausche from the Duchy of Jülich-Berg (northwestern Germany), dated 1483 in roman numerals around the inside ring on the reverse. Starting at about 7:30 on the reverse, A'*MCCCC*LXXXIII*.