Home Precious Metals
Options

Reportedly, a very rare bar up for auction @ HA. It's very nice, but it's far too pricey for me.

Comments

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Exceeding cool Rothschild bar. Should bring 25K+

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    NVUNVU Posts: 284 ✭✭✭

Identical design by JM

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool bar but there are too many coins and bars that I'd rather buy for what this bar will sell for.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting for collectors, but way too expensive for stackers.... and I am a stacker :D;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,711 ✭✭✭✭✭

Poured gold is very nice to look at. :)

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now I know I'm not the only one who is underwhelmed with this bar.

There are no interesting graphics, no logo, no vintage-looking fonts. No obsolete or obscure weight--or weight of any kind, for that matter (it clocks in at a dull 5 troy ounces, BTW).

No value given in dollars, lira, pounds or some other obsolete currency. No ultra-low serial number...no serial number at all.

HA doesn't make a claim to any important era or event. It wasn't owned by a famous outlaw or royal family. It wasn't the first or the last of anything. It wasn't struck from the gold of some fabled treasure, pirate ship, or ransom. They think they know when it was made (relatively recently). But of course without a date or serial number, it's just a guess.

It is entirely institutional looking. Industrial, like a lead billet made for fishing weights or buckshot. It is the opposite of exotic--it's downright boring.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice, but too rich for my blood !!! :(

Timbuk3
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Weiss said:
    Now I know I'm not the only one who is underwhelmed with this bar.

There are no interesting graphics, no logo, no vintage-looking fonts. No obsolete or obscure weight--or weight of any kind, for that matter (it clocks in at a dull 5 troy ounces, BTW).

No value given in dollars, lira, pounds or some other obsolete currency. No ultra-low serial number...no serial number at all.

HA doesn't make a claim to any important era or event. It wasn't owned by a famous outlaw or royal family. It wasn't the first or the last of anything. It wasn't struck from the gold of some fabled treasure, pirate ship, or ransom. They think they know when it was made (relatively recently). But of course without a date or serial number, it's just a guess.

It is entirely institutional looking. Industrial, like a lead billet made for fishing weights or buckshot. It is the opposite of exotic--it's downright boring.

Gotta agree with you. When we bought in that huge collection of gold bars at Harlan Berk's there were one or two Rothchild bars from the 1950's, and I couldn't get more than 101% for it (them).

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,954 ✭✭✭✭✭

A boring bar.

All glory is fleeting.