Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Question for Russian Coin Experts

Question: How is the market for 18th century russian coinage? Is it strong weak flat of what. Any info will help. The world coin guides seem very high on some pieces.

Thanks!!

Comments

• CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭

Good pieces will sell, but not for the levels they used to bring 7-10 years ago. I have found the catalog is generally high, when I bother to look.

https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

Readers Digest condensed version... The Russian market is simply not what it once was.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting to know, thanks !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

The time to buy was the early 1990s - lots of stuff was coming out of the former USSR. Not a lot of people there were collecting it yet. I can remember from my stay in the USSR just before it disintegrated that coin collecting was rather ambiguous. I know people collected coins but if you accumulated silver or gold it was illegal. Having small quantities of 18th century bronze was generally not a problem but a large collection would have been kept under wraps.

During that time I assembled a nice collection of pyataks (5 kopeks, the hockey puck coins) including some of the rare mints and also Siberian coinage from the late 18th century. Then it all took a dramatic price hike and I moved on to other stuff.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭

Ditto to what SaorAlba said. I started in world coins in the early 1990s with a main interest of Russian. I managed to find quite a few of the tough Nicholas II and Alexander III roubles before Y2K rolled around. Unfortunately, the Russian market took off in the late 1990s and early 2000s and I couldn't afford to buy anything. I sold all I had in 2003/4 and moved on the talers. I miss the allure of the roubles, but found plenty to keep me busy in the german states. At one point I managed to find some scarce dates that I would love to have today: 1834 commemorative, 1839 commemorative, 1901, 1902, 1903, 1909, 1910, 1911, 1914, 1915.......

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

The better stuff is still bringing good money! Run of the mill is priced in KM at the old high prices...as typical...their prices caught up after the market declined.