Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Canada 20 Cents

Great Collections has a Canada 20 Cent in PCGS 65 holder in their auction for this coming Sunday. If any Canada collectors are interested, please take a look and give us your opinion of it.

Comments

• 1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭✭

So much for a low snipe bid

Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

:D

• YQQYQQ Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

mine are nearly 1/2 as good as this one... :o
    wonder what it will bring??
    and if submitted raw again, would it make its expected grade?

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭

I'm not a fan of the toning on that one. I have a pretty toned PCGS AU53 that I'd prefer to own (for the price/value) over that one all day :)

http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds like a beauty...

Since we are looking at Canada 20 cent 1858, I am curious how you guys would grade this one.
    I know it has spots... but does that influence a realistic grade?
    Grading on the coins own merits , apart from the spot, I think mine would win hands down....
    but sometimes the grading gods have other ideas.
    would it be worth it to have it professionally "preserved"?
    thank you for chiming in.

• 1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭✭

@YQQ said:
    Since we are looking at Canada 20 cent 1858, I am curious how you guys would grade this one.
    Grading on the coins own merits , apart from the spot, I think mine would win hands down....

Looks like a late Die State slightly weak strike to me. The wire rims, hair and leaf details are strong with some flat areas that do not look like rub - MS62/63 probably 62 due to lack of eye appeal from the black stuff. The marks I think I see look like bag marks.

I would soak the piece in acetone in effort to release / remove the black gunk. There are a few threads in archives that discuss preserving / removing gunk.

Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • @YQQ said:

I'm guessing it looks better in hand. The photos are not flattering by any means.

Highly enthusiastic about world coins, contemporary circulating counterfeits and unusual stuff <3

• RMWRMW Posts: 219 ✭✭✭

Be VERY careful.

• ElmhurstElmhurst Posts: 768 ✭✭✭

Thanks for sharing YQQ, but to get back to the item on auction, it's now up to $2350, with two bidders fighting it out (not me).

Elmhurst- its not me either. I have enough of them and it is time to scale down.... too many coins :/

@WorldCoinsDmitry said:

I'm guessing it looks better in hand. The photos are not flattering by any means.

Well, what would you change on the photos? the lens does not lie. it shows what it is.
    the dark spots, am not sure if I want to play with them.

YQQ, it looks like it might be a white balance issue that makes the photos look black & white with odd contrast. Possibly the lighting. What are you using for your setup?

http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Yes I meant the odd contrast in the photos. Was not trying to crap on your coin or anything YQQ

Highly enthusiastic about world coins, contemporary circulating counterfeits and unusual stuff <3

edited December 4, 2017 8:54AM

Thanks guys,
    I use a digital Canon Body with a 90 mm real true macro lens.
    white balance is set to auto, black background, Ottlight on flex stands.
    Camera is permanently mounted on an old enlarger stand-modified.
    see older image of my setup. now it has ottlites.

Buy I have to admit I do have WB issues at times. Just have a problem understanding it. maybe I try new images and see what comes out.
    But whatever I will do, it will not eliminate the dark spots...
    Someone suggested that it might be a specimen which was stored in the wrong environment.
    can always use "silver coin paint" lolololo B)

Thanks for posting your setup.

I think there might be some reflection issues with the light coming off the plywood. I'd throw down some more black construction paper.

I've never used axial lighting myself. I just shoot nearly straight down, with two gooseneck lamps positioned at ~45 degrees off of center on either side. I also either use tungsten or custom white balance. AWB tends to give a strange peachy/orange glow to most of my shots.

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

The trick with auto white balance is you have to trick it to do what you want. Try changing your background to a neutral beige or light brown and see what happens! Experiment with different background colors.

@YQQ said:
    Thanks guys,
    I use a digital Canon Body with a 90 mm real true macro lens.
    white balance is set to auto, black background, Ottlight on flex stands.
    Camera is permanently mounted on an old enlarger stand-modified.
    see older image of my setup. now it has ottlites.

Buy I have to admit I do have WB issues at times. Just have a problem understanding it. maybe I try new images and see what comes out.
    But whatever I will do, it will not eliminate the dark spots...
    Someone suggested that it might be a specimen which was stored in the wrong environment.
    can always use "silver coin paint" lolololo B)

edited December 5, 2017 8:10AM

thanks for all that. I have planned to do some changes during the holidays. not just on the imaging system.
    Also on the downsizing everything. It is time for a new direction and new goals.

• ElmhurstElmhurst Posts: 768 ✭✭✭

We have gone from discussion of an item on auction, to a discussion of YQQ's photography....let's stay on point in the future, thanks .

• BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

That doesn't seem like a coin you'd need to shoot axial...

Wondering how much better it would look photographed direct?

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!

Will try that soon and post