Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1818 B-2 Bust Quarter - Off Center Flip-over Double Strike

Scubafuel recently posted his new VLDS 1818 B-2 quarter. This is a double struck VLDS 1818 B-2 that is pretty interesting. On the obverse, you can see the crack from the stars across the top of the cap and the heavy clash mark from the leaves. At the bottom by the date is the o/c strike remnant. On the reverse you can see the dentil tracks across the eagle, but off to the rim is more remnants like a 1 from the date. A small dentil track on a coin can be a telltale sign of a double strike, but often that is all that remains of the first strike. Despite the low grade, this coin retained a fair amount of double strike detail.

1TwoBits

Searching for bust quarters.....counterstamps, errors, and AU-MS varieties, please let me know if you can help.

Comments

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting thanks for posting.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love it. Very cool.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very Nice!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭✭✭

nice!

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    REALGATORREALGATOR Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thats a keeper.

• Options
    scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a very cool example. I've seen a few BQ's with dentil curves from the first strike, but that was it as far as the detail was concerned. It's especially cool that you can see part of the 1815 date...at least that's what I'd imagine the date was if it was my coin.

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yup, it's a keeper !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

wow, love it

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now that is a great specimen....must have been awesome prior to circulation..... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    23Pairer23Pairer Posts: 911 ✭✭✭

Great looking bustie!

• Options

Looks nice, IMHO the one is probably the one between the two eights of 1818, just my 2bits

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Remarkable coin! That would fit very very well into someone's [ :) ]collection of AG to Fine large sized capped bust quarters by die variety and die state..

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

nice pick up :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file